What's new

Watch Strap Consolidation?

Quick question for the experienced/more dapper folks of B&B. My watches currently have one of 2 lug widths: 20mm or 22mm. I've recently become interested in NATO-style bands - especially for my divers. Which, of course, includes 1 22mm and 1 20mm. The question is: how "wrong" would it be to try to consolidate on a single strap size for these 2 watches? 2mm doesn't seem like it'd be overly noticeable - at least not in a James Bond Goldfinger way.

Has anyone consolidated on a single size for multiple lug widths in their own collection? If so, did you go with the larger size and attempt to squeeze it into the smaller? Or get the smaller size and realize it won't fully fill the lugs on the larger watch(es)? OR, should I try to source 21mm straps and let them not fit either watch perfectly - but perhaps be less noticeable than a 2mm difference?

I'll try to give this a look next time I change straps as well. Just wanted to get some experience of others who may have tread these waters ahead of myself.

In my limited experience messing with strap changes I would say that even 1 mm is a lot when it comes to installation. If it’s undersize then the watch tends to flop around a lot but it is at least secure. If it‘s oversize then it may not be possible to operate the spring bars securely and they could “pop” out without warning.

In the end, I’ve always bought the correct size for a given watch. One reason why I don’t do a lot of strap changing.

I would not consolidate straps with a 2mm difference. A 1mm difference can often work, like a 18mm Nato/Perlon strap on 19mm lugs, but it also depends on if the strap was originally off by 0.5mm as well.

Beyond looks, I think there are two practical reasons not wear a strap that is 2mm too small:
  1. More opportunity for dirt and moisture to get onto the spring bar ends, shortening their life and potentially making strap removal more difficult.
  2. Exposes the weakest point of attachment. A strap which fully fills the space between the case lugs without any gap can help act as a shield. For a example, some years ago I bought an obvious fake Seiko diver while in some distant city for a few dollars to check it out. It came on a horrible smelling rubber strap so I removed it and swapped my smaller Nato in its place. A few days later as I removed a laptop bag off my shoulder, the thin shoulder adjustment strap from the bag became a little entangled with the watch and popped the spring bar off. Part of the problem was the springs inside the spring bar were weak, but I also believe the small gap between the band and strap allowed the strap from the shoulder bag to slide in and wedge it off, much like a regular spring bar removal tool would do.

Top Bottom