What's new

Watch selection help

Hi guys,

I've been trolling the internets and the watch posts here in hopes that I can come to some decision on the next watch I am going to get but I haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a watch that has a count down timer and that has a case diameter between 40 - 42 mm. The timer is crucial because a lot of my experiments require timing.

So far I've seen the Timex expedition and I think there was also a metal combo watch but they haven't struck my fancy. I've looked at the G-shock watches but they seem so big and bulky. Are there any other choices I can consider??

Any input from the watch folks out there would be very much appreciated.

You might want to try on a couple G-Shocks. I find they wear comfortably despite the bulk. I think you're going to have a hard time finding a countdown timer outside what you've already mentioned. If you don't mind counting 'up' rather than down there are hundreds of great chronographs out there.

Thanks for your reply, the unfortunate thing with the counting up is that it's easy to overshoot your time and not be aware of it. The audible indication given by the count down timer is what I was after.

sounds like you need a good egg timer and nice watch heh.

It's funny that you mention that, we have a bunch of timers around the lab (pretty much egg timers) but the silly thing is you set them then you wander off to do something else and the timer goes off when you're not around. You can hook these timers to your belt or lab coat but then you walk to the train looking like a weirdo. I figured a nice count down timer watch would solve this problem elegantly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm thinking that "sports watches" would be your best bet, as athletes may need a "countdown" timer as well for working out ... and of course it's easier for watch companies to market to athletes (and the wannabies) than to scientists ... how many "weekend wannabe physicists are there, after all??

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the specific models, but that might be a good general area to consider.

I'm thinking mostly you will need to go digital. A number of Timex Ironman watches have countdown timers, and they start around 40 bucks. Should be an acceptably sized one. I don't like the look, nor of most black digitals, but it would be functional.

I'm thinking mostly you will need to go digital. A number of Timex Ironman watches have countdown timers, and they start around 40 bucks. Should be an acceptably sized one. I don't like the look, nor of most black digitals, but it would be functional.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm beginning to think you're correct, I will in all eventuality end of sacrificing some style for function. I figure at $40 for the timex if it eventually stops working then I won't have lost much.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm beginning to think you're correct, I will in all eventuality end of sacrificing some style for function. I figure at $40 for the timex if it eventually stops working then I won't have lost much.

I've actually had really good luck with Timex over the years. And they're cheap enough that you could buy an Ironman, and something more stylish for not at the lab

I eventually ended up getting this, a little bigger than I had hoped but it wears very well. I like the minimalist look.

Attachments

• $IMG_0038.jpg
    $IMG_0038.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 121
I guess the picture didn't survive the site transplant, I hope it works this time :

Attachments

• $IMG_0038.jpg
    $IMG_0038.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 122
The numerous 5600 models from G-Shock aren't bulky at all at 13mm thick and are in fact bordering on elegant. I've got a 7' wrist and its discrete on me

Attachments

• $spd_20090904143415_b.jpg
    $spd_20090904143415_b.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 99
  • $G-Shock-GW-5600-Carbon-Fiber-198x198.jpg
    $G-Shock-GW-5600-Carbon-Fiber-198x198.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 98
I have tiny wrists and it is big but it doesn't look clunky on me and it's not heavy, it's only 90 grams.

Count down timer at a sensible price?

Has to be quartz

So I would suggest that you look at the manufacturers first because there's about a gazillion watches that match your search.

Have a look at Casio, Citizen, Timex, there will be loads of others but if you go for Casio etc you'll get a decent, reliable watch.

I would start with Casio G-Shock

Good luck

Top Bottom