What's new

Watch out on eBay...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It might be fun to post photos of razors misrepresented on eBay...

It's not news that shopping is a buyer beware situation.

proxy.php

Currently offered on the Bay is this fine example of a "Wade & Butcher Sheffield England Arrow B Special Straight Razor 3/4" Thick Blade."

proxy.php

I've dropped a note to the vendor.

I'd post a link but it's an active auction with two bids.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've seen loads.
I'm convinced some know exactly what they are doing.

Example:
In the main description line they might say it's a Filarmonica.
Look at the pics and there's a box with Filarmonica on it and something else entirely for the razor.

Lots of little tricks to try and trip you up.

Seen a few razors with pics showing it closed from all angles, but not the blade itself.

Theres a post somewhere on the DE forum about upsidedown base plates Upside Down Baseplate Appreciation Thread good for a laugh.

If I see any strange straights, I'll post them here.
Good idea Jim.

My very first ebay purchase was a super speed which shipped simply in a padded envelop. Of course by the time I received it, it was no longer square when closed. I was a little disappointed about that. The seller did refund my money but it was just a let down.

AA010E03-9DE1-49E8-B38B-C7D26E5FF417.jpeg
D998C8CE-2393-442C-B0CA-1E1C6F9DE3BE.jpeg
Personal favorite from awhile back, comes with with a custom made box too! I think it was a deer camp joke, but the buy it now price associated with it wasn't funny.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My very first ebay purchase was a super speed which shipped simply in a padded envelop. Of course by the time I received it, it was no longer square when closed. I was a little disappointed about that. The seller did refund my money but it was just a let down.

Usually when I buy something on eBay I look for one of two things.
  1. The vendor offers to accept returns.
  2. The vendor describes the item as being in good mechanical condition or states that the item is in some particular state, a state suitable for my purposes.
If the item is not as described by the vendor it has been my experience that eBay will force the vendor to accept a return and/or give a refund. I've received a Slim when the vendor sold me a Fatboy. I've received a mechanically good razor missing crucial components (blade stops). In both cases eBay solved my problem without much hassle. In both cases the vendor had stated the sale was final but eBay disallows fraudulent sales.

The letdown is still a problem but life goes on.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Seen a few razors with pics showing it closed from all angles, but not the blade itself..

I see that often, and absolutely read it as intentional misdirection.

Also, see 2 poor pictures of the blade and 6 of the box.

Same with old hones mounted in wood boxes - too many pics of the box (of no value) and not enough to show me which kind of stone it might be (maybe great value).

I usually look at what else the seller has listed. If its other razors and knives, then not forgiven. If dolls and serving pieces, they are forgiven and just don’t know better (could be a deal here).

Other than the price, what's so special about it? Who's the manufacturer? How old is it?

No clue, just the price seems odd.

Something else I've come across on the bay a couple of times and its worth watching out for, is a Microtome that looks like a straight razor. It was used for cutting very thin samples - medical or otherwise.

Saw one listed a while back and the vendor did say he thought it might be a microtome.
Next one I saw there was no mention of it being anything other than a straight. A little later, after I put a bid on it, I noticed something odd in the pictures. It was completely flat on one side and near wedge grind on the other. Not unlike a true Kamisori.
I was relieved when someone outbid me on it.

It's not that they can't be used for shaving, just very difficult to hone from what I've read.

Some pics I could find.
microtome1.jpg
microtome.jpg

And this, both sides of the same razor.

microtome3.jpg
microtome2.jpg

Might be a nice thing to hone for those that like a challenge. :001_smile

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yes molasses. It was made buy a Baltimore company that made King Corn syrup which you can still buy. Po-T-Rik hasn’t been made for years.

Not every person selling on ebay is going to know a heel hook from a warped spine from a frown or micropitting. Many, maybe even the majority of them, are just moving stuff they bought in lots. They aren't going to have the time to obsess over details about every item - same for antique shops, thrift shops, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the prices on that 10k blade is a mistake, that guy's prices, overall, seem normal so maybe sending him a friendly message might be more helpful. Over the years I've messaged many people about pricing typos on both sides of the fence; it seems like the right thing to do.
Yes, there are theives and scoundrels on auction sites, I'm not saying there aren't - there are too many to count actually. But not every person with a rusty blade is a scammer, many of them just don't know. And it's sort of unfair to expect them to know everything we think they 'should' know.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not every person selling on ebay is going to know a heel hook from a warped spine from a frown or micropitting. Many, maybe even the majority of them, are just moving stuff they bought in lots. They aren't going to have the time to obsess over details about every item - same for antique shops, thrift shops, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the prices on that 10k blade is a mistake, that guy's prices, overall, seem normal so maybe sending him a friendly message might be more helpful. Over the years I've messaged many people about pricing typos on both sides of the fence; it seems like the right thing to do.
Yes, there are thieves and scoundrels on auction sites, I'm not saying there aren't - there are too many to count actually. But not every person with a rusty blade is a scammer, many of them just don't know. And it's sort of unfair to expect them to know everything we think they 'should' know.

I agree entirely. I drop vendors notes when I know I can educate them about something simple enough for me to be sure I know what I'm talking about. Sometimes their response is appropriate and responsive. Sometimes, not. Not my problem.

On Amazon you can find if you're interested and know how all sorts of items commonly sold for a few dollars also offered for sale at thousands of dollars. My assumption is the vendors are hoping some oil sheik zillionaire is shopping without looking at prices and doesn't much care how many zeros there are in the price because $50,000.00 is much the same to them as $5.00.

A good many vendors consistently have very nice and fairly priced razors. Enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom