What's new

Watch out on eBay...

Yeah... I don't even wanna know how much it costs amazon to handle all the returns from those crooks they let on their site. It's a hotbed of them partly BECAUSE amazon's guarantee lulls people into a sense of security... but it's gotta be costing amazon a FORTUNE in returns. I remember buying a USB drive... and I had to sift through PAGES where every single one had DOZENS of reviews saying the drives that were being sold as 128gig up to 1 Terabyte in size were actually like 16mb ones. It took maybe 30 or 40 different drives before I found one that WASN'T a fake based on the reviews.

Yeah... I don't even wanna know how much it costs amazon to handle all the returns from those crooks they let on their site. It's a hotbed of them partly BECAUSE amazon's guarantee lulls people into a sense of security... but it's gotta be costing amazon a FORTUNE in returns. I remember buying a USB drive... and I had to sift through PAGES where every single one had DOZENS of reviews saying the drives that were being sold as 128gig up to 1 Terabyte in size were actually like 16mb ones. It took maybe 30 or 40 different drives before I found one that WASN'T a fake based on the reviews.

It's not by accident, it's a business model. They are the crooks.

Not 'As Seen on TV': Snuggie maker sues Amazon.com - Reuters

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know this is mainly for straights but just ran across these brushes. Listed on eBay as silvertip badger. Second pic shows it's pure badger. In the description I love that. She says I believe these are silvertip but I'm no expert.

New in Box Badger Silvertip Shaving Brush EShave Inc Made in Germany Blaireau | eBay

Doing a little searching around on Google, that brand, eshave, is expensive but overpriced I think.

She probably doesn't know pure badger from mink, but why say silvertip when the box says pure badger?

Nice find.

That could be a case of someone not even knowing that 'Pure Badger' is a grade of the hair. They were probably assuming that it meant it was pure badger hair, with nothing mixed it. But that's just a guess.

To be fair, that’s what it used to mean. Think it was around the 80s or 90s that they actually stopped using pure badger just to designate that there is no other hair in it

i’ve bought a couple of things from japan sellers and that seller in the past IIRC. no problems in sending.

make sure you examine the photos very closely, like any other item.

So about four or five heavy washes later, and the black paint is almost all out of the knot. Starting to get the good old fashioned boar brush stink from it. Really quite a pretty little blonde boar underneath.

Attachments

• CCA73928-5EA1-473A-A6B5-BE4AE5206D6F.jpeg
    CCA73928-5EA1-473A-A6B5-BE4AE5206D6F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • black.jpg
    black.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 17
So about four or five heavy washes later, and the black paint is almost all out of the knot. Starting to get the good old fashioned boar brush stink from it. Really quite a pretty little blonde boar underneath.

Good job! The knot seems in great condition. Are the tips factory trimmed or whole?

Good job! The knot seems in great condition. Are the tips factory trimmed or whole?
I think it's a mix. Some trimmed and some not. It's certainly not prickly like the one trimmed modern brush I tried (Forget maker, but it was painful to use)... but the tips look more like a trimmed knot than a sorted one to my eyes. I suspect it's sorted, just less careful sorting than todays brushes, so more upside down (trimmed) bristles got in there. I mean this brush isn't gonna stack up well against even a cheap-o semogue... but it's not shedding, and it lathers ok. Kinda fun having one that aside from the paint was unused and unabused. I get to see what they actually were originally like... and unlike some of the EverReady Badgers... it's actually usable (their badgers were so low-density, they can't really face lather at all).

Also, I would estimate the knot is only 15-16mm... so for it's size, quite a decent little brush (feels a hair bigger than an Omega Bambino, but a little less dense).

Omega 10086 (bigger Bambino)
18mm knot 42mm loft

EverReady 100
18mm knot 47mm loft

Probably about equal densities given those specs... actually... but the extra 5mm loft makes it feel bigger and less dense.

Looks like it's very much a similar knot to the Omega 50068 (normal bambino... 18mm/46mm), but with a much larger handle. So if you like the Bambino knot but don't like having to grab the stubby handle, then I can say a NOS EverReady 100 may be for you.

Last edited:
IME with boars you can compensate thinner knot with having a longer loft. But that's if you're a painter, not a swirler.

Has anyone here ever purchased straights from any of the sellers in Japan? Zigzagpapa for example? Thanks.
No, but I remember seeing a thread discussing how the seller that photographed razors on a drinking glass would use angles that hid issues or made the razor look a lot nicer than it was.

Hey guys & gals... l seen a 'Legion Estranjera' OC on the 'Bay the other day from Argentina l was thinking of pulling the trigger on next week on 'pay the bills' day. l decided to do a bit of research here in the forums on that razor and l found an article about it BUT... The vendor has the EXACT same pictures to show off the razor as shown in a B&B article dating back to 2016. Does this seem fishy to anyone? l got burned a couple of times on the 'Bay before for non-shaving things & don't want to feel the burn again, eh?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey guys & gals... l seen a 'Legion Estranjera' OC on the 'Bay the other day from Argentina l was thinking of pulling the trigger on next week on 'pay the bills' day. l decided to do a bit of research here in the forums on that razor and l found an article about it BUT... The vendor has the EXACT same pictures to show off the razor as shown in a B&B article dating back to 2016. Does this seem fishy to anyone? l got burned a couple of times on the 'Bay before for non-shaving things & don't want to feel the burn again, eh?

Oh my!

I wonder if it the member who originally posted about the razor who is selling it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting elaborate scam on ebay where one seller robs another seller using a clueless buyer.

Interesting and fairly simple scam. I'm very glad eBay and the police were called.

Of course "one seller" is not a seller at all, just a crook. The other "seller" is also not exactly a seller, but a surprised victim.

Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom