What's new

Watch I really didn't want to wear

strop

Now half as wise
I've been wearing this watch for a couple of weeks, and must admit that I like it. Never really wanted to wear it, although I always knew that I would someday.

You see, this was my father's watch, and the only watch I ever saw him wear. He quit wearing it just a few months ago, just before he died. Just got it back from being serviced.

The serial number dates it's manufacture to early 1959. He got it in 1965, trading in one he bought around 1950 when he was in the Army stationed in Germany. Hopefully I'll get at least a few years of wear before it is worn by my son.
20170905_160834.jpg

A classic, Congrats!, though I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure your son will enjoy the piece too. I hope you continue to enjoy it in the mean time.

Sorry for your loss. That is a special watch and now it takes on new meaning because it was your father's. And it will be special for your son as well. I have my father's Swiss Army watch...its old and worn and special for me every time I wear it.

Lovely piece. Sorry for your loss. I hope it brings you many great memories of your father whenever you look at it. Wear it proudly!

Classic simplicity. A watch you can wear with pride, even though it is bittersweet. I'm sorry for your loss. It is never easy losing a parent.

I've been wearing this watch for a couple of weeks, and must admit that I like it. Never really wanted to wear it, although I always knew that I would someday.

You see, this was my father's watch, and the only watch I ever saw him wear. He quit wearing it just a few months ago, just before he died. Just got it back from being serviced.

The serial number dates it's manufacture to early 1959. He got it in 1965, trading in one he bought around 1950 when he was in the Army stationed in Germany. Hopefully I'll get at least a few years of wear before it is worn by my son.View attachment 818681

My sympathies on your loss. Beautiful watch and great provenance on a classic piece of timekeeping history, congratulations.

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks, guys. It really has been a nice connection to my father. Lots of great memories. It was actually my Mom that got it for him, and she's thrilled that I am now wearing it. She had been concerned that I wouldn't want such an old watch!

A really nice looking watch. With it's history and significance I know that you and your son will continue to enjoy it for decades to come.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks, guys. It really has been a nice connection to my father. Lots of great memories. It was actually my Mom that got it for him, and she's thrilled that I am now wearing it. She had been concerned that I wouldn't want such an old watch!
Haha. If she has any other "old" Rolex's lying around, tell her to send them to me for proper disposal.

Again, great score, and a great family keepsake. I'm glad you are using it.

Top Bottom