What's new

Watch Collection Downsizing?

My watch collection is not big (8 pieces). Even so, I feel as though downsizing to 3-5 pieces I wear regularly might be the way to go. Where I'm struggling is how that will look. My collection is anchored by two main pieces - Seiko Alpinist (SARB017) and Archimede Outdoor Protect 39 - and these are the two that get worn the most. I have a beater I really like (Citizen Chandler field), and then a bunch of pieces that just sit in the box. I'm considering doing a few different things, and would like your thoughts.

Option 1: Keep the Alpinist, Archimede, and Citizen; get rid of everything else. Go with these pieces and see how I feel.
Option 2: Burn it to the ground and restart the collection. Start with an "luxury" piece I can wear every day (thinking about the Tudor BB36).
Option 3: A combination of options one and two. For example, keep the Alpinist, get a BB36, get rid of everything else; or keep the Archimede and Citizen, get a BB36, get rid of everything else, etc.

Thoughts?

I’d probably do option 1 first and then look at adding a higher end piece like the BB36. I buy almost all of my watches used on forums. With some notable exceptions (AP Royal Oak and Rolex Milgauss come to mind) where in the last year where prices have gone insane, this has been a good route for me to try some nice watches at much less than new prices.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Round file (or sell, if they're worth anything) the ones sitting in the box. Keep the ones you like. When you have the spare change, go for the Tudor.
And get a G-Shock for the ultimately beater.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I’d probably do option 1 first and then look at adding a higher end piece like the BB36. I buy almost all of my watches used on forums. With some notable exceptions (AP Royal Oak and Rolex Milgauss come to mind) where in the last year where prices have gone insane, this has been a good route for me to try some nice watches at much less than new prices.
What watch forums (fora?) do you frequent?

This makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

I like having fairly inexpensive watches to rotate. Fun part of the hobby. I have a few expensive watches (Omega, Tag, etc.) but generally wear $100-200 Seiko, Citizen, Casio and Orient watches.

Everyone is different but I like variety.

I thought I liked variety...until I didn't.

Round file (or sell, if they're worth anything) the ones sitting in the box. Keep the ones you like. When you have the spare change, go for the Tudor.
And get a G-Shock for the ultimately beater.

This is probably what I will do. I do have a square G-shock, but for whatever reason I don't consider it part of my collection. Thanks!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like having fairly inexpensive watches to rotate. Fun part of the hobby. I have a few expensive watches (Omega, Tag, etc.) but generally wear $100-200 Seiko, Citizen, Casio and Orient watches.

Everyone is different but I like variety.

+1- I've a couple- three expensive ones but find myself wearing the cheaper ones. There are 3 different Scuba Dudes that just keep on ticking (each required regulation at first but now keep pretty accurate time). I hope to maybe identify a strategy here that allows me to do some paring.

Which ones do you want to sell?
I assume no vintage and no high end pieces.

Tudor is definitely underrated and you can get nice discounts and don’t have to wait in contrast to most Rolex models.

I came in on the bottom end of high end ;) and then got a couple of „fun“ watches afterwards.

I did an uptrade once selling 2 Panerais for a then brand new Pam 372. Other than that I kept everything in a strongly rising market.

I would sell the ones that don’t give you joy and get one high end to see if it rocks your boat. The Seiko and the Archimede are fine pieces so I don’t expect that you will have an earth shaking new experience with a Tudor quality wise but it can happen that you will find a new favorite.

What watch forums (fora?) do you frequent?

This one is a kind of global search engine that I find is easy to use. There is a very full range so it is an easy way to keep an eye on what's out there and prices. All of my watches (with a couple of exceptions for dress watches on leather straps) get worn for whatever I happen to be doing - swimming, office, gardening or machine shop so they tend to get dinged up and scuffed. As a result they have essentially no resale value.

I've joined a couple of forums only in order to correspond with sellers. I'm more of an occasional lurker than an active member.

Which ones do you want to sell?
I assume no vintage and no high end pieces.

Tudor is definitely underrated and you can get nice discounts and don’t have to wait in contrast to most Rolex models.

I came in on the bottom end of high end ;) and then got a couple of „fun“ watches afterwards.

I did an uptrade once selling 2 Panerais for a then brand new Pam 372. Other than that I kept everything in a strongly rising market.

I would sell the ones that don’t give you joy and get one high end to see if it rocks your boat. The Seiko and the Archimede are fine pieces so I don’t expect that you will have an earth shaking new experience with a Tudor quality wise but it can happen that you will find a new favorite.

Nothing high end. One or two vintage pieces but nothing that will bring in big money. I do like Tudor as a brand and have tried on the BB36. Fit very well. I've also looked at a couple of Grand Seiko models but they are hit-or-miss for me both on design and fit.

I am of no help, as I have the opposite point of view. In that I would advise just keeping all the ones you like and not worry so much about the number of pieces in your collection or attempting to swapping them all out for one higher end watch. This is assuming there is not a lot of cash to be gained in selling off the seldom worn timepieces. A watch that is worn only once every few months can still be fun and worth keeping IMO. But of course if one no longer cares for a watch it is better to sale it or gift it forward.

I am of no help, as I have the opposite point of view. In that I would advise just keeping all the ones you like and not worry so much about the number of pieces in your collection or attempting to swapping them all out for one higher end watch. This is assuming there is not a lot of cash to be gained in selling off the seldom worn timepieces. A watch that is worn only once every few months can still be fun and worth keeping IMO. But of course if one no longer cares for a watch it is better to sale it or gift it forward.

I can understand this. But I am more concerned with what makes me happy. I came to realize having pieces I wasn't wearing that often didn't make me happy.

I can understand this. But I am more concerned with what makes me happy. I came to realize having pieces I wasn't wearing that often didn't make me happy.
I can understand this as well. My unstated point was to not mistake boredom as not being happy, or to not mistake getting stuck in a routine with your favorite watch (dress style, life style, etc) as being unhappy with a particular watch. That picking up a watch that was once appreciated after taking a break from it might provide a renewed appreciation for it.

If I were smart, I would've bought my watches and never worn them. Instead, I would've kept them in a safe and flipped them when they gained in value. Instead, I'm a fool who enjoys wearing my watches, including the ones I knew would gain in value later (e.g., my SRP455). That said, I don't collect truly expensive watches, instead, I collect (and wear) Seikos and Orients.

Of course, I can still appreciate the more expensive watches out there, but they're really not for me. In fact, I'd be too worried about damaging an expensive watch to ever wear it. This of course means it would end up stuck in a safe and disproving my foolishness. However, since I am an unabashed fool, I will stick to wearing and enjoying my less expensive watches. 😁

Since you seem to be another person who enjoys wearing the watches in his collection, how would you feel about wearing and damaging a more expensive watch instead of the less expensive ones in your current collection?

Since you seem to be another person who enjoys wearing the watches in his collection, how would you feel about wearing and damaging a more expensive watch instead of the less expensive ones in your current collection?

The two main watches I mentioned - the Alpinist and Archimede - are pretty tough "tool" watches. The original Alpinist was designed for mountaineers, and a big selling point for the Archimede is that it's made from hardened steel. That being said, I don't wear either when I am hiking or kayaking; it would seem ostentatious (to me). They might get clinked during regular day-to-day activities, although I'd prefer they not. (For the record, either my Citizen field watch or G-shock are worn for hiking, kayaking, etc.).

I suppose I would feel the same way about a Tudor. Tough watch but I would prefer not to damage it. Although a part of me thinks if I was to spend that kind of money I should wear it all the time, for every activity, and wring every last cent out of the watch! 🤣

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My "collection" is, to me, the sweet spot: one thin, dressy gold one with a black leather band, a very simple stainless one that uses different nylon straps, and a pocket watch I can drop into my golf bag or the pocket of a dinner jacket.

Top Bottom