What's new

Watch Caps

Not beanies, but watch caps. Watch caps are designed to turn up a wide cuff in milder weather, and can fold down over your ears and back of your neck in colder weather. I've worn watch caps since a boy, when I got a blue acrylic watch cap with a half ski mask that you could pull down in cold weather. The main drawback is the lack of a brim, which makes it a bit uncomfortable on both bright, sunny, days, and in a light mist. For this reason, and thinning hair, I wear one indoors at home, where we keep the temperature close to 68° F / 20° C in the winter. Used to wear one occasionally in the office, until lighting and equipment made it balmy the entire year.

All I've ever owned are acrylic, which is dictated by availability, not choice. OTOH, I do wonder about 100% wool. Wonder about the itch factor, though.

Have also wondered about "Jeep Caps," the visor type watch cap. If you've never seen one, it's the type worn by the character Radar O'Riley in M*A*S*H and Crapgame in Kelly's Heroes. It's only a slight brim, but might help shield eyes from both sun and mist.

Anyone else here like watch caps?

Not beanies, but watch caps. Watch caps are designed to turn up a wide cuff in milder weather, and can fold down over your ears and back of your neck in colder weather. I've worn watch caps since a boy, when I got a blue acrylic watch cap with a half ski mask that you could pull down in cold weather. The main drawback is the lack of a brim, which makes it a bit uncomfortable on both bright, sunny, days, and in a light mist. For this reason, and thinning hair, I wear one indoors at home, where we keep the temperature close to 68° F / 20° C in the winter. Used to wear one occasionally in the office, until lighting and equipment made it balmy the entire year.

All I've ever owned are acrylic, which is dictated by availability, not choice. OTOH, I do wonder about 100% wool. Wonder about the itch factor, though.

Have also wondered about "Jeep Caps," the visor type watch cap. If you've never seen one, it's the type worn by the character Radar O'Riley in M*A*S*H and Crapgame in Kelly's Heroes. It's only a slight brim, but might help shield eyes from both sun and mist.

Anyone else here like watch caps?

I wear a Carhart high-visibility yellow watch cap. For really cold weather, I wear the balaclava in my picture. I think it was -11 f that day.

Some cheap wool caps make me itchy. Luckily my wife is a knitter so she makes all my new ones with good quality wool. She recently made me a new one out of cashmere. The small ball of cashmere was $30 and was only enough to make one hat. It’s super soft and very warm.

Finer grades of wool usually don't cause itching. Cashmere is good. It may help to wash the cap by hand with a mild soap such as Woolite. Dry by blocking it out on a towel.

I have worn the mash one. I liked it. Not sure who sells them. A brand called Buff is really good gear too, like a pull over scarf thing. Love mine. There is a vet on Facebook that is well known for well priced custom hats. Mainly boonie/Reece/desert military style hats. Slangvel is his handle.

I have a Rothco. Good quality. I wear it under my helmet when I'm jumping. Not that it's terrible cold up there and your on the ground pretty fast it just fills the helmet and it's a little more padding for a less than perfect PLF.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I wear one just about every day in the winter though I have asked for a stormy chromer fo Christmas.

I like them sort enough to wear above the ears without having a super wide band when rolled. A lot of the new ones seem too long to me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I picked one of these up for my Dad for Christmas, and while I haven't actually worn it I have held it in hand and the merino is very soft and non-itch. Good quality.

I’ve got a couple smartwool merino watch caps now. They’re as warm as any other bulkier cap I’ve tried, and no itch at all. I also have had several merino neck gaiters that I can pull up over my mouth to get the same effect as a balaclava with more comfort, leaving my nose exposed.

If you need a balaclava/ski mask for the temps, try to find one with a vapor barrier that lets your breath out without getting the interior of it wet/humid/frozen.

I’ve also got a synthetic, ear covering skull cap for lack of a better description that I wear under a helmet cycling. Super thin, but does great blocking wind and wet, and keeps me plenty warm enough while riding. It’d work pretty well under any other necessary headgear too, if that was a requirement.

never tried a visored cap, but I see the value. Just never wanted the bulk of one. The great thing about wool is, it still insulates when wet. Just find a smooth weave, or a merino. They’re wonderfully comfortable.

polypro/fleece works well too. I just prefer a soft wool.

I hate the feel of acrylic anything on me.

I picked one of these up for my Dad for Christmas, and while I haven't actually worn it I have held it in hand and the merino is very soft and non-itch. Good quality.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see this. I could buy one of everything.

Stetson has a new one called the Docker. it has an adjustable tab in the back. They also have several other styles of watch caps and beanies on their European site (stetson.eu)

By far the best hat in this style I know of is the possum fur and merino wool beanie hat, sold by a UK online store run by Ray Mears, a survival expert. Although it's called a beanie it's really not; it has a very generous cuff that can be rolled down well over your ears. The fabric is lovely and soft, yet the hat is very light and surprisingly tough. I believe it is by far the most popular item on the website, and is bought by people all over the world. The only problem with it, if it can be called a problem, is that it is very warm indeed. I would only use it around 0C with the cuff turned up, and roll it down when the temperature got to well below freezing point.

Love watch cap for evening soccer games and soccer practice as long as they are fleece lined. My bald head does not like the wooly scatch of unlined beanies or caps.

All I wear anymore at work is a Carhart jeep cap. Comfy, washable, warm, durable. I normally go a few(4-5) years between replacements.

I just found a very nice Red Wing Watch Cap to go along with my new Iron Rangers. Though not seemingly on line, at the store, an acrylic one was 20 ish all in. Blk, Red, Grey and Orange IIRC.

I get the surplus army wool watch caps off eBay when I can find them, often for not a few bucks. I have gotten tighter and looser weaves doing this, but none itch. They come in many colors as long as you like green or black. Made in USA and cheap enough to stash one here and there.

My brother sent me a black wool Navy Watch Cap while he was a submariner out of Groton, CT. As a head-shaver, I find that thing indispensable.

Top Bottom