What's new

Watch advice

So I've just recently started to get into the finer things in life, such as long lasting watches. I am looking for my first purchase. The qualifications are:
$0-$1200
Needs to have a date block
Water resistant at least 100M
I don't NEED a chrono but I like the look of it.
No leather straps, some kind of metal band preferably.
I think thats it unless some of ya'll bring up valid points that I didn't think of.

Ready, Set, Go!

My suggest a Tag. Here is a picture of my watch. I think Tag/Heuer would fit nicely in your price rage and ever since the movie "Die Hard II", they have enjoyed a resurgence in coolness.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Most importantly you didn't say if you want an auto or quartz. There are so many choices either way it ain't funny. Just don't buy a fashion brand.

I am not opposed at all to a used watch. I think that I like the theory behind an auto watch. The fact that it takes much more skill and time to assemble but I feel like I will be able to find a better deal on a quartz one. As for Tags that has been a watch I've lusted after for many years. Probably 8 years or so.

Last edited:
I guess you googled your question in the meantime... but here it is:

Quartz movement = Uses a battery and the natural vibrations in a quartz stone to move the hands along. The seconds hands will tick across one for each second.

Automatic movement = houses gears and a tension spring that drive the movement of the hands. You will notice the seconds hand will "sweep" along as opposed to tick.

IMO, quartz has its place but I would never buy a watch over $1000 unless its mechanical/automatic.

I did google it. I kinda feel the same way. I am feeling that if I can find a auto in my price range then I would go that way over quartz.

I do like the Marathon GSAR. I also looked at Kobold and liked them but can't seem to find one of those in my price range.

Obiwan, any good place to look at preowned Omgeas? I've looked a bit just through google but didn't know any real good place to look.

Honestly, I would avoid Tags and Omegas. They're fine watches, but for me, Tags are what Movado was in the 90's -- too damned popular. Good watches, but IMHO, overrated for the price. You'll be hard pressed to find one less than a grand. I also seriously doubt you'll find any new Omega for less than $2,000.00. Seamasters go for about 2,200 - 3,000.00 and the Speedmaster Professional (no date, manual wind) starts at $4K.
I'm sure you can find deals, but be wary of buying used. Omegas are one of the most counterfeited watches behind Rolex.

Also, in your price range (realistically $300.00 -$1,200) there's not a huge difference in quality. Frankly, for everyday use (i.e. Those of us who aren't professional pilots, aren't going to climb Everest or go scuba diving below 200 meters) I doubt there's much difference in quality between a $500.00 watch and a Rolex Submariner. Unless you actually NEED a watch designed for extreme conditions, you're mostly paying for prestige. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Anyway, if you are looking for a quality watch that looks good, keeps accurate time and will last for years, I suggest Hamilton. This former American maker of premier watches is now owned by Swatch Group (which also owns other venerable names including Omega, Longines, and Breguet). Nevertheless, the quality is excellent (My Khaki keeps better time than my Rolex, but the Rolex is old like me.)

They produce quartz and autowind at very reasonable prices (about $300.00 and up). And you have the benefit of their relative rarity. I've put my Khaki though some pretty rough use and it works great. One word of caution: If you want a metal band, buy the watch with a metal band. It's very difficult to find good quality metal bands that fit.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
I do like the Marathon GSAR. I also looked at Kobold and liked them but can't seem to find one of those in my price range.

Obiwan, any good place to look at preowned Omgeas? I've looked a bit just through google but didn't know any real good place to look.

I'd suggest the Omega website (www.omegawatches.com) and search their authorized dealers as a starting point. Some authorized dealers have websites and do sell used watches (much to the chagrin of the manufacturers.)

A good mid-grade Swiss brand is Concord. You don't see them on many wrists but they are a good mid-price brand.

I second the Hamilton suggestion. And I think there's one for sale in the BST right now.

I'm huge fan of buyin used. Better quality for a similar price. There a lot of watch flippers out there.

I have had great luck with these and they look good. I destroyed one but my current one keeps on moving. I highly suggest one of their automatics. They are owned by timex I do believe however they have been around since the 50's I think.
LR

Top Bottom