What's new

Watch advice

I have had great luck with these and they look good. I destroyed one but my current one keeps on moving. I highly suggest one of their automatics. They are owned by timex I do believe however they have been around since the 50's I think.
LR

They are owned by Seiko.

I looked at orient and it seems like one of the universal complaints is how weak the lume is. Lume is another big factor for me. I'd like something that will glow brightly, I think thats why I like the idea of the Marathon because it has Tritium tubes. Anyone know anything about LumTec?

I looked at orient and it seems like one of the universal complaints is how weak the lume is. Lume is another big factor for me. I'd like something that will glow brightly, I think thats why I like the idea of the Marathon because it has Tritium tubes. Anyone know anything about LumTec?

I'm not sure if you've found www.watchuseek.com but there is a tremendous wealth of information on just about every type of watch you can think of. If I recall correctly Lum Tec is fairly well thought of.

I do like the Marathon GSAR. I also looked at Kobold and liked them but can't seem to find one of those in my price range.

Obiwan, any good place to look at preowned Omgeas? I've looked a bit just through google but didn't know any real good place to look.

I've seen quite a few for sale on watchuseek (great site by the way). Also, as I understand it the three sellers listed below from ebay are consider very reputable and have a large rotation of Omega watches offered:

jmryshi
kaberui
sabashioyakiz1

I've been watching their items to see what they go for over the last few weeks as I am looking to buy one also and it seems you might be able to get some of the Seamasters and (non-pro) speedmasters for close to the $1300 range. If you like those that is.

Good luck

ultimately your own taste should be the deciding factor. You can knock out many watches with your 100M requirement. If you intend to wear it in the water you can eliminate leather straps.

Go to a good watch store and browse around.

You can get new watches at a good discount [check on warranty] on the web.
Any number of sites [+ebay] sell used watches at a good price [watch out for scams]

One of the Breitlings in non-chrono can be had for a bit over $1,000. The "Avenger Seawolf" or "Superocean Steelfish" comes to mind.

Just bought a Hamilton today. One of their Automatic chronos can be had for about half your cost ceiling. They're great looking and have lots of fans out there. Despite their American roots they're owned by Swatch now ... but the designs are classic American.

Also, though I've never bought a watch from these guys -- here's a plug. I love to vist their store when I'm in LA. The owner is really nice and helpful. They don't deal much in cheap stuff. http://www.wannabuyawatch.com/

Don't forget vintage watches. I've got a Longines made for the RAF that's "plain as a stone fence" but keeps perfect time. I got it for a bit over $200.

It really depends on what style you like. I like divers, but I'm a sucker for the austerity of Grand Seiko dress watches and the sheer machismo of Panerai's Luminors (although I'll never buy one even if I could afford the coin they want).

Don't get too hung up on lume - it's one of those niche obsessions on the forums - and remember that there are two types: daylight which is very bright but short lived (intended for you to be able to read when you move from a bright environment to a dark one) and night which is long-lived (intended to be legible when you wake up at 4AM). If you really want amazing lume, get a Seiko Monster for $150.

As for longevity, if you keep a mechanical serviced, any will do you proud.

I suggest you wander over to watchuseek.com and page through a few what-u-wearing threads. Make a list of what catches your eye, wipe the drool off the keyboard and check them out closer.

Your price bracket covers an awful lot of ground. There are a lot of independent watchmakers that you won't find in any bricks-and-mortar store that make fantastic watches without the label price. Check out:

Steinhart / De Beaufre
Bernhart <- the B&B LE is based on his Officer model
Laco
Stowa
Deep Blue
MkII
Ocean 7

Wear one of these and you're pretty much guaranteed you'll never run into someone else wearing one, and if you do he'll be another enthusiast. I won't bother with the mainstream brands you'll find in shops 'cause others will suggest them. Some asian stuff you may not be aware of:

Seiko and Orient Japan domestic market models can be had via people like Seiya Japan.

Seagul: Chinese and the biggest manufacturer of mechanical movements in the world. Don't sneer, a lot of big names use their movements without letting on.

If I had your budget, I'd be getting more than one...

I'm no fan of Tags, other than the Carerra Pro but the pic posted above is nice! Very Fifty Fathoms-esque, very like my Orient Mako.

Well my search is over(For Now) I ordered a Marathon. It should be here next week some time. Thank you very much for everyones input and I will post a review and some pictures when it gets here. I now know much more about watches and I think that I will be picking up some more in the future....hopefully.

Well my search is over(For Now) I ordered a Marathon. It should be here next week some time. Thank you very much for everyones input and I will post a review and some pictures when it gets here. I now know much more about watches and I think that I will be picking up some more in the future....hopefully.

Awesome choice! Which particular model did you end up ordering? I look forward to the review. The GSAR is definitely on the top of my wish list as far as watches go. As soon as I can talk myself into spending as much on a watch as I would on a pistol (or 2), I'll get one of these, as well!:001_rolle

Congratulations on the purchase. Look forward to hearing your review. I'd also be interested in where you purchased.

You could try a Tissot PRC200. Swiss made, sapphire crystal, looks nice and it's well within your price range.

EDIT: Damn it, too late :(

Last edited:
Herr Noobian I appreciate the input and have drooled over a T-touch for a long while. The Marathon was just the right price! I ordered the GSAR and am hoping it will be here nex week ish. I will make sure I take lots of pictures and post a review

Pre-owned Omega, Ball, Bell and Ross....Swiss Watch International has some very nice automatic in the $1000 range.

I have had great luck with these and they look good. I destroyed one but my current one keeps on moving. I highly suggest one of their automatics. They are owned by timex I do believe however they have been around since the 50's I think.
LR
Yup, I have an Orient Star automatic...very nice watch with trad. unfussy lines, dauphin hands and domed glass. Now part owned by Seiko, I think, but allowed to "do their own thing" within that empire. Good automatics at a very good price...top models still made in Japan but mid-range in Brazil and Thailand (I think). Don't pass them up...well worth a look. When you see how an automatic is made and assembled...the incredible detail involved...you can only marvel at the watchmaker's art. A car is a lump of clay by comparison. My watch loses only one minute per month...that ain't bad for a little engine on your wrist. Check out Orient on Wiki.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom