What's new

Waste

On February 12, 2020, I commented on a good reason for waterproof ink. Since then I've used a Uni-ball Signo 207 Black in 0.5mm, and some Noodler's Black in a Metropolitan Fine Point for notes for this project. I have 60 pages so far, the vast majority of which is in the Signo.

Today the Signo pen ran out. I'd expected it, but I'm not happy about it. After between maybe 55 and 60 3 ring binder sized pages, I needed a new pen. Wallyworld used to sell refills, but that's been a long time ago. A two pack will set you back a little over $4.50 US, which is about $2.25 a pen. Refills are out there, and without shipping and handling are about half the price of the pen. Let's call it. $1.13. And the pen barrels of the Signo aren't that robust, and will get to the point where the clicker end pops off.

So, there I sat, looking at the empty pen, and the waste just got to me. Not sustainability, or anything green, just the idea of waste. These are good pens, but aren't that cheap, and the amount I was about to throw away struck me as obscene.

Here is where refillable pens shine. I'm still one one bottle of Noodler's Black after pages and pages of heavy journaling, and it's still not empty. The same with a bottle of Platinum Carbon Black. It is my second bottle of Noodler's Black, but I lost my first after the plastic top broke and most ended up on my pants, so that doesn't count. Refilling pens is way more cost effective and appeals to me much more than tossing something like a Signo in the trash after two weeks.

I might be going down the Preppy path here, since I don't want to risk losing my Metropolitan. Am also thinking of refillable roller ball pens. Either way, I'd rather refill a pen every one or two days than throw this much away just because it's empty.

Platinum Carbon Black is wonderful stuff. One of favourite inks ever. Very well behaved and bulletproof.
I’m still going with the same Lamy 2000. I’m two years in and it is showing no signs of slowing down anything soon!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’m with you 100%. I also prefer to use non-disposable implements in my daily life where possible (and sanitary). A Preppy and a bottle of ink is definitely far more economical than even jumbo packs of disposables from Costco. Though, of course, like with safety razors, so few of us stop at the “saving money” stage of the hobby.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use fountain pens and pencils at home, but don't use waterproof ink in the fountain pens. I don't want clogging/cleaning issues. For addresses on envelopes, and other stuff that needs to be waterproof, I'll use a ballpoint.

I have a load of disposables that I bought ages ago, which I'll gradually work through. I have several pens that take refills too. I doubt I'll throw out four disposable pens or refills a year, so I'd consider that negligible waste

I might be going down the Preppy path here, since I don't want to risk losing my Metropolitan.

I thought the same thing about the Preppy, but have had terrible luck with the caps of the pens cracking where they snap onto the section. I'd rather refill my Pilot Varsity, or go with the Pilot Petit. The Petit takes a proprietary cartridge, but they are good for multiple refills.

TWSBI ECOT and Pilot Iroshisuki Take-Sumi (black) ink are my daily pair. The pen holds a lot of ink and is pretty much bullet proof. The ink goes on wet/shiny and dries fast and dark. I have to say I liked my Lamy 2000 better, but I lost it and went with a less expensive pen.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It is my second bottle of Noodler's Black, but I lost my first after the plastic top broke and most ended up on my pants, so that doesn't count.

@syngent got his own "Smilie" for something similar involving Baystate Blue and the household cat ...

:syn:

I use fountain pens and pencils at home, but don't use waterproof ink in the fountain pens. I don't want clogging/cleaning issues. For addresses on envelopes, and other stuff that needs to be waterproof, I'll use a ballpoint.

I have a load of disposables that I bought ages ago, which I'll gradually work through. I have several pens that take refills too. I doubt I'll throw out four disposable pens or refills a year, so I'd consider that negligible waste

Have had problems with Platinum Carbon Black. By it's nature it's a "dirty" ink. Good water resistance and archival, though. Haven't had problem with Noodler's Black. Some people have, but my most expensive fountain pen is a Metropolitan, and it seems to work well with the Preppy.

About cracked caps: So far I'm 50/50 with them. One pen hasn't cracked; another did and I secured the cap using twine and a compression knot. Happened to think I had a spare Preppy fine nib (03), and it's now serving as my note pen.

I thought the same thing about the Preppy, but have had terrible luck with the caps of the pens cracking where they snap onto the section. I'd rather refill my Pilot Varsity, or go with the Pilot Petit. The Petit takes a proprietary cartridge, but they are good for multiple refills.

I like the Preppy but have noticed this happen a few times. What I did was wrap a piece of clear packing tape around the base of the cap and it solved the problem.

Top Bottom