What's new

Wasn't there a Saturday Night Live skit about Moonbeam Brown?

This is kind of driving me nuts right now, but I seem to recall that there was a very funny Saturday Night Live skit (with Dana Carvey, maybe) about Jerry Brown. I'm guessing that it was during the time that he was Governor of California, so about 30 years ago. Given the fact that he is currently running, I wanted to pin down which episode it was (I think all of the episodes are instantly viewable on Netflix) so I could take a look at it ... I remember that the impersonation was "spot on."

Season 17, Episode 16

Thank you. Thank you, Trekkers. Thank you very much. Now, I want to say that 23 years ago this fall, "Star Trek" was canceled. And, and I think it's a shame and a travesty that we don't have a single prime-time science fiction show on our network schedule today. And in the Sixties, if you look at what we did out there in California, we had "Outer Limits," we had "Twilight Zone," "Star Trek," as well as "Lost in Space," and now all we have is "Star Trek: The Next Generation," and that's in syndication. Now, some people say there's not enough audience for science fiction on television, but if you go back and look at -- and look at when "Star Trek" was canceled, it had a 21 percent share of the audience. Now today, that's a hit. That's a "Knots Landing" or a "Tequila and Bonetti." Now, see, now, we have this giant, bloated Nielsen system in place, and it just perpetuates itself. Now, but under my plan -- under my plan, what we have is a mandatory 13 percent flat audience share, so that shows like "Doctor Who" or "Alien Nation" can stay on and have a chance to develop, and you won't have bankrupt programming, you know, like "Matlock" with Andy Griffith -- and I'm sorry, but he hasn't had a new idea in twenty years, and I'll say it to Andy Griffith's face. I mean, he may be an honorable man, but what he's doing is just business as usual, and I'd like to see "Matlock" off the air. So that we take that "Matlock" money, right there, and you bring in your best people -- Isaac Asimov, your Carl Sagan, some puppeteers -- and you put more fantasy scripts in development, because I think R&D is a very important part of getting science fiction shows on the air. And if you agree with me, call my 800 number [he holds up a placard with the number written on it] "1-800-NOT-FLAKY."

Last edited:
Okay, why don't you come with us to this big room and sit down in this nice comfortable chair. And we've got a special coat just for you! See how nice and white it is? It fits very snug, doesn't it. And have we got a wonderful treat for you! A nice big piece of chocolate cake. No, don't worry about a fork, we'll feed you. Those little white round things in the frosting? Oh, they just add to the flavor! Now eat it up like a good boy. Ummmmm, good. And guess what? We've got the VCR hooked up and we're all going to watch some Star Trek! But not the ones about the Klingons, because it upsets Mr. Harrison.

Everything will be jusssssssssstttttttt fine.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeff in Bston

Top Bottom