What's new

Washita Thread. Show off, discuss, etc.

A label I’ve never seen before,
A pike Red washita label oilstone
535CAE78-B611-4633-9082-8997D33F177C.jpeg
76F12BAF-0239-45C5-99A4-201B3B6026DD.jpeg
6C564D14-02E1-4CED-A346-5CE60560427B.jpeg
AC763FCF-F15E-4EB3-9712-665929FA92C1.jpeg

It is a soft and quite friable stone, cuts fairly quickly and leaves a fine scratch pattern.
From a different era to the rosy reds as it mentions using pike oil not stonoil.
This has been soaked for a few hours in a shallow tin of degreaser and lapped, the colour hasn’t changed much during the soak, label has seen better days and I’m reluctant to use it and risk damaging the already fragile label so I think it will go join its long lost cousins in the washita box 😃

timwcic

"Look what I found"
One of my pickers found this for me. He is only to send me pictures of Carborundum stones if they seem interesting. He did good and got a extra ration of grog for his efforts. A 8” Carborundum Arkansas #1 Soft Oilstone. Came in a extra nice tiger oak box. It’s not listed as one but it’s every bit a Washita in low mileage condition.

6707FFCA-B6EA-44AF-9A97-D0235C3C4940.jpeg
4FD31196-C23D-4C92-896D-F727F6101936.jpeg
E342895A-2B80-4BC6-B09F-B5B5CCCC1F6B.jpeg

I never seen one before so I consulted our stone guru, @David and he told me a production run of these stones were done by Carborundum for a short time. Below is a picture of David’s stone for comparison

70C53310-D5DF-467F-9B90-3BF59AB1332C.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A label I’ve never seen before,
A pike Red washita label oilstone
View attachment 1300109View attachment 1300110View attachment 1300111View attachment 1300112

It is a soft and quite friable stone, cuts fairly quickly and leaves a fine scratch pattern.
From a different era to the rosy reds as it mentions using pike oil not stonoil.
This has been soaked for a few hours in a shallow tin of degreaser and lapped, the colour hasn’t changed much during the soak, label has seen better days and I’m reluctant to use it and risk damaging the already fragile label so I think it will go join its long lost cousins in the washita box 😃

That a nice hunk of stone

One of my pickers found this for me. He is only to send me pictures of Carborundum stones if they seem interesting. He did good and got a extra ration of grog for his efforts. A 8” Carborundum Arkansas #1 Soft Oilstone. Came in a extra nice tiger oak box. It’s not listed as one but it’s every bit a Washita in low mileage condition.

View attachment 1300401View attachment 1300402View attachment 1300403

I never seen one before so I consulted our stone guru, @David and he told me a production run of these stones were done by Carborundum for a short time. Below is a picture of David’s stone for comparison

View attachment 1300404

What a beautiful clean label!
And the stone looks to be very nice quality too. What a score Tim 👍

A bit of a test today, interesting to see the huge difference between the material used by the same company, for the same brand of stone.
The stone on the left I wouldn’t call for a washita based purely on appearance, if it didn’t have a Norton stamp on it.
The stone on the right is significantly harder and finer than the others, it cuts but not overly fast, and there was little particle release for the first 50 or so passes with a chisel, cutting speed increases as soon as some grit was released.

The middle stone immediately started cutting with a much more gritty feel under the chisel, the oil started darkening straight away, more friable than the right hand stone and it started kicking up some loose particles quickly and cutting fast.

The left hand stone immediately started releasing grit and cut probably as quickly as the middle stone, but left a coarser scratch pattern and a more noticeable suspension of grit.

This is of course not a perfect test, but I did 75 laps with medium pressure.
106718E3-5996-4DAB-8A13-BD717A068CF2.jpeg
8FFF7E36-9569-4F60-A471-15AAFF4CDAF8.jpeg
EF4F6EC1-81C3-439A-BAC2-EA789C46ABDE.jpeg

Cleaned this up today, not much I can do with the label side as it’s very fragile so I just gave it a gentle surface wipe with some degreaser. I might seal it but I’m not sure at the moment.
A pike extra washita oilstone, which was the grade between no 1 and lily white. It’s a lovely little stone fairly soft and cuts quickly, though it is quite friable, I’ll try it with a finer surface finish. It leaves a nice finish on a chisel with gentle pressure though.
I’ll put a photo up next to my lily white when I’ve finished soaking it but they’re quite similar in appearance.
E2214656-2FC7-4765-A817-BD07A0DA87A2.jpeg
50742272-18F9-4A9B-8264-A328619C7415.jpeg
AB72EAA2-D7A5-42E6-B139-30DC0EF93353.jpeg
419740F3-7E03-4649-9949-10C951646030.jpeg

Just won a stone I've really wanted for a while. This one wasn't a random lucky find that no one else noticed - I paid proper money for it (smidge over 100 quid 😬 ). But looks in good nick, and it's going to make me very happy.

I imagine my other Washita is probably a LW, but this one's got the natty label innit!

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.15.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.16.17 PM.png

Is there a hard line between washitas and other Arkansas stones?

I have a white Arkansas that I've always thought of as a washita, but then I read about hards and softs and start wondering what I really have.

Is there a hard line between washitas and other Arkansas stones?

I have a white Arkansas that I've always thought of as a washita, but then I read about hards and softs and start wondering what I really have.

I think there is certainly a difference between Arks and old Washitas, though nowadays various soft arks are sold as 'Washitas'. And to confuse matters further - some people have stones that are clearly old Washitas, that were labelled as Arks.

It seems to be quite easy to tell visually though if you have any pics of yours...

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I've given up on trying to identify/classify my Washita/soft Arks. Most of mine don't have labels and I don't have the equipment (scales) to pull off an SG test. Then the SG has a range of values, and then add that to the embedded swarf and oil ....not accurate except on new or exceptionally clean stones. I just lap them all the same and use which one works best for what I'm working on. I find that some stones just work better for certain jobs and certain steels than others in the same family.

It's a good thing to have a few different ones. I was surprised that each stone I have, seems to have it's own forte.

Currently working on a soft. Brown when I got it, white a year later. Most porous stone I've ever seen. Haven't put steel to it yet.

I've given up on trying to identify/classify my Washita/soft Arks. Most of mine don't have labels and I don't have the equipment (scales) to pull off an SG test.

Your point got me thinking. I doubt that the gods of novaculite were thinking "Today I will form a batch of Washita." And I do wonder if the criteria used by the guys hauling this stuff out of the ground and tapping on it has changed over time.

It's my understanding that the Washita was a different and distinct layer or vein in the novaculite and was likely subjected to a different amount of metamorphism.

As a professional geologist who has spent decades in those hills, I would expect Dan to have some interesting thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
Your point got me thinking. I doubt that the gods of novaculite were thinking "Today I will form a batch of Washita." And I do wonder if the criteria used by the guys hauling this stuff out of the ground and tapping on it has changed over time.
The super light molting looks like mine. I don't know what grade it is but it's really light and really hard and fine i suspect lily white or #1. Its still got oil coming out of it. I can do a lot of the work of sharpening a razor on that single stone. Next one i believe is a soft washita/ ward washita combo. The hard side looks like both yours and my large stone. When cleaned up you can see the pepper in it. The soft side looks like an old smiths washita.
20210724_204259.jpg20210807_074950.jpg

20210804_223426.jpg

Attachments

• 20210728_175342.jpg
    20210728_175342.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
I've given up on trying to identify/classify my Washita/soft Arks. Most of mine don't have labels and I don't have the equipment (scales) to pull off an SG test. Then the SG has a range of values, and then add that to the embedded swarf and oil ....not accurate except on new or exceptionally clean stones. I just lap them all the same and use which one works best for what I'm working on. I find that some stones just work better for certain jobs and certain steels than others in the same family.

It's a good thing to have a few different ones. I was surprised that each stone I have, seems to have it's own forte.

Currently working on a soft. Brown when I got it, white a year later. Most porous stone I've ever seen. Haven't put steel to it yet.
Yep, gotta use what works. Ive got hard arks that eat steel and they make great mid range stones as well as pre finishes. I got a big translucent that also eats cruel like that and i bet i could set a bevel on it with enough pressure. I think the label is far less important than the amount of hone time spent to get to know your specific stone as opposed to the type of stone. Paying attention to the stones (and steel on them) and listening to their feedback is the most important part in my eyes because if you can do that you'll be able to hone on any random stone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom