What's new

Washington Shave - Shaving Cream - where's the lather?

I have been on the lookout for a shaving soap that has a strong spearmint aroma. I cam across the Washington Shave site, you can pick the scent on your cream soap.

It arrived today. I opened up the top of the glass container, and the full on scent of spearmint hit… Lovely! I decided to give it a test lather.

Prep brush and scuttle as I usually do. Swirl the brush in the soap, made sure I had a nice load of cream, and started stirring it up. After 2 minutes, very little going on, just a few streaks of soapy smear on the bottom of the bowl. I look at the brush, and it looks light. Swirled another good amount on the brush and continued for another 2 minutes, more of the same filmy streaks, no lather. Add a few drops of water, no change, add a few more drops, no change. Add in a small fingernail size dollop of Proraso Green, and within a minute I started getting a good lather. I whipped it up, the lather was Proraso, enhanced with the spearmint scent.

I am still new to this, so I don't want to pass a harsh judgement on this product. I was so wanting to like this stuff, the smell was so delicious. I have tried 10 soaps so far, and the performance on this soap, well I just couldn't whip up a lather! So buyer beware...

-David

I couldn't lather the stuff either. The maker said he prefers to use it brushless. I used it like that and it's okay... there's definitely better stuff out there.

Thanks dharasick! I wouldn't have thought of using it brushless. Now I know how to use it up….:thumbup1:

-David

Thanks Capslock, my impression also. Love the scent though so I will give fingertip application a chance a few times before giving up. Just not this week! Hello from across the Bay...

Found a good use for this. On those occassions where I need to touch up before going out, shave in the shower and use this brushless. Worked pretty good...

Top Bottom