What's new

Washing yourself

Just wondering what everyone uses to wash. I generally have to use Dove because that's what my wife buys, or the generic Publix version.

I sometimes buy a triple milled green tea soap from Trader Joes.

Feeling like I might want something more manly?

Thanks in advance.

For face: Nancy Boy face cleanser

For head: Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (not needed for hair, since I buzz my head, but it sure does a bang-up job of cleansing the scalp and getting rid of scalp odor)

For body: any of a number of finer bar soaps in a burgeoning collection; these days, my go-to is usually Lightfoot's Pine Soap, but I do like to mix in others sometimes, to keep things interesting.

For all kinds of ideas, check out the Body Soap of the Day thread.

For domestically available selections, Old Spice or Lever 2000, both of which are often on sale. I could just as easily use house brand or anything else as you do. One of my eBay suppliers turned me on to Bittim from Turkey, which is a simple concoction of olive oil, wild pistaccio oil, and lye. As an old fashioned lye-based soap it leaves the body clean just like factory-made deodorant soaps. As something with the oils, I can lather it into the hair in lieu of shampoo and it leaves the hair soft to the touch. Some of its promoters represent that it prevents hair loss or restores functioning of pores, but I am always skeptical of such claims. It seems to do fine in whatever hair I have left. You can search eBay for "bittim" and find several suppliers. I did some research once and found that within Turkey the soap is sold for 15 to 20 YTL per kilo, which would break down to $1.40 per 150g bar max. Prices on eBay are anywhere from $3 to over $5, and some sell smaller 100g and 80g bars. Apparently some of them pay walk-in postal rates, which can be near or even greater than the cost of the product, and some may have bulk or commercial shipping discounts that allow them to get shipping down around $1 a bar if ordered in quantity.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I used unscented Safeguard for about ever. Recently, I've very much enjoyed Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap for both shower and shampoo. I've been using Stirling soaps even more recently, and they are fantastic.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Kirk's or Dr. Bronners for everyday, Defense Soap after Jiu-Jitsu or if I've been around Staph, MRSA, or Ringworm at work. I wash my face with Ursa Major and occasionally use St. Ive's apricot exfoliating scrub. I use a knockoff of Wen for my hair because it washes out even the most difficult pomades with a single application every time for me.

Just wondering what everyone uses to wash. I generally have to use Dove because that's what my wife buys, or the generic Publix version.

I sometimes buy a triple milled green tea soap from Trader Joes.

Feeling like I might want something more manly?

Those sound good. I don't know what would constitute anything more manly. Maybe a pot scrubber.

I wear pink dress shirts, I've had my daughters paint my toenails, and I've run races in tutus. My take on manliness is: being secure in yourself is manly. If you like the Dove and the Trader Joes and they are good to your skin, then that's all you need.

Those sound good. I don't know what would constitute anything more manly. Maybe a pot scrubber.

I wear pink dress shirts, I've had my daughters paint my toenails, and I've run races in tutus. My take on manliness is: being secure in yourself is manly. If you like the Dove and the Trader Joes and they are good to your skin, then that's all you need.

I don't for one second think a person is more or less manly (that is to say, more or less of a man) for using certain products over others. However, in the realm of subjective scent appreciation, I think it's fair to say that some scents are more masculine smelling than others in terms of how they strike people. To wit: a few weeks back, my girlfriend took a shower using my bar of Lightfoot's Pine Soap, which I tend to think of as fairly universal in its usability (read: unisex in scent). I asked her how she liked it and she said, "It was fine, but it was more masculine than anything I'd use on a regular basis." I never thought of it as particularly "manly" smelling, but that's how it struck her.

Whatever's cheapest/whatever SWMBO puts in the shower. Right now I'm trying to get through all of these newfangled Old Spice "body washes" with scents named after National Parks that I got from my mother/grandmother for Christmas (they must think I smell awful). Definitely just a bar of Dove soap for my body and hair kind of guy though. Simple and clean; all a shower needs to be. Unless you're a woman.

Top Bottom