What's new

Washers

Sorry to ask this as it must have been asked quite a few times, I have searched and still a bit unsure. Am I correct in saying that washer size is 2m, I am in the UK and when searching for these it shows a few different sizes. If any UK member reads this, where are you buying these from.

May
My mistake I should have said the brass washers 😊

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The washer size depends on the pin diameter. If your pin diameter is 1/16” (most common), use M2 washers. I buy mine on eBay, posted from the USA.

This thread has some detail

This thread has some detail
Thank you.

With all Straights, there are two different washers. OK, Maybe not all. I can't help you find them as I'm in the US but the tiny washer that goes on the outside of the scales and you make a peen against is a #0 (.062ID X .125OD) At least this is what I buy. The only ones that go in the pivot area inside of the scales can be brass, steel, or nylon but I prefer Brass (.065ID x .270OD). And of course, all my measurements are inches.

Hope it helps some. BTW, I find the Nylon Pivot washers keep me from getting as tight on a pivot as I like. Where brass will hold tighter and not loosen up as quickly over time. JMO.

With all Straights, there are two different washers. OK, Maybe not all. I can't help you find them as I'm in the US but the tiny washer that goes on the outside of the scales and you make a peen against is a #0 (.062ID X .125OD) At least this is what I buy. The only ones that go in the pivot area inside of the scales can be brass, steel, or nylon but I prefer Brass (.065ID x .270OD). And of course, all my measurements are inches.

Hope it helps some. BTW, I find the Nylon Pivot washers keep me from getting as tight on a pivot as I like. Where brass will hold tighter and not loosen up as quickly over time. JMO.
Thanks you much appreciated ☺️

For thrust washers, do not use nylon, make thin brass ones just like vintage.

Take a 0 Wide washer and smash it on a flat piece of steel/anvil with a large hammer, may take a couple hits. You can get them as flat as you want,

You will need to re-drill the hole, with a new 1/16 in drill bit in a hand held Pin Vise. They drill easy, a pin vise is about $10 and are very useful for making scale and hand drilling or for unpinning when you want absolute control.

Or make them from a clear PETE plastic water bottle with a leather punch to punch the ¼ inch round and 1/16 in hole.

Clear PETE thrust washers will not rust on Ivory, clear or translucent scales and you can get them as tight as you want. No more black ring around the pivot pin.

Top Bottom