What's new

Washers for peening in nickel silver

Hi,
I wished I would have asked this before I placed my order for brass washers 2 weeks ago, because shipping is outrageous at microfasteners for those little fasters. Anyways if I going to repeen with nickle silver rod. What kind of washers do I get at microfasters ? Stainless?? I see they carry #0 stainless ones, but wouldn't stainless washers make it harder to peen? They also have plated ones but they don't offer them in size #0. I don't know which to buy? Does anyone else sell these that don't charge $8.00 for shipping, for something that weights less than the envelope that my last ordear came in??

I went to a local hardware store yesterday and found they had 1.6mm flat washers, but they were whatever "standard" hardware is (zinc plated?). Is there any reason I couldn't use these? I eventually intend to order brass and/or stainless but this will be my first re-scale, and I'm just cheap/impatient.

I went to a local hardware store yesterday and found they had 1.6mm flat washers, but they were whatever "standard" hardware is (zinc plated?). Is there any reason I couldn't use these? I eventually intend to order brass and/or stainless but this will be my first re-scale, and I'm just cheap/impatient.
Possible galvanic corrosion depending on what metals are contacting each other.

temp.png
I was going to use a brass rod. I seem to recall seeing a brass on steel/silver and didn't think it looked bad, at least not for now.
From a chart I looked at. 750, and the zinc plating would be attacked. 750 is about 1/3 of max, but I don't know what the number actually means.

[QrrTE="Clay S, post: 10100132, member: 121875"]View attachment 960589
From a chart I looked at. 750, and the zinc plating would be attacked. 750 is about 1/3 of max, but I don't know what the number actually means.[/QUOTE]
I read somewhere on this forum that the microfasters # 0 stainless washers will not fit the K&S nickle silver rod very well?? I can't remember exactly what was said but i think the #0 stainless washers have a larger diameter compared to the brass #0??

Washers have no impact on peening. We only peen the rod. The washer just sits there while the rod mushrooms down onto it. Whether you use SS or brass washers with a brass or nickle silver rod - the peening is the same. Nickle silver washers in sizes we want to use seem to be unavailable. A while back I did find a company that will make them but the cost was extremely high. I use SS with nickle silver rod, works fine.

I have the same problem living in the UK, I order all my washers from the states and they take about 2 weeks to get here. I get brass and SS 200 at a time so that I always have washers when I need them....

So if anyone is interested, after spending some time on the microfastener website, I came across a train assortment that had #0-80 washers. So today I went to our local train/model shop which is conveniently located within eyesight of my work (I didn't know that until today) and while they didn't have stainless, they did have brass washers (and other stores might have better variety). They were obviously more expensive than buying them by the 100, but if you only want a few it seems like a better option than paying $5 shipping on a $5 purchase. Plus if you're like me, you're too impatient to wait 5-7 business days anyways. Anyway, try your local train/model shops if you have one.

thats a great idea! i was thinking about looking into watch/ clock hardware. theres boud to be somthing. i refuse to believe there are only like 3 sources of appropriate washers for this application

Alternatively could you do something like this?

Punch perfect plastic washers

I actually have a roll of 10mm wide nickel for spot welding batteries. I don't have punches or I would just go try it myself, but if someone already has some it might be an easy way to make it out of whatever material you want. I've never used a hollow punch so I'm not sure what the limitations on thickness and softer metals is.

Top Bottom