What's new

Washer Size - M5

I'm looking to get some washers to prevent the marring of the finish on my razors. I expect to use them for my vintage Gillettes - Old Type, New Improved, Goodwill, New & Tech. The width needed sometimes is little more than where the handle meets the underside (Goodyear & New) or would look odd if it overshot the Tech "triangle" where the handle meets. My searches on this forum have found plenty of recommendations for the nylon M5, but I have more options:

M5x7.5mmx1mm
M5x10mmx1mm (most common)
M5x14mmx.08mm
M5x18mmx.09mm

Do you have a size recommendation between these for me? Also, hard or soft nylon?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I have found the M5 x 10mm x 1mm to work well for me. I must sheepishly admit that I don't think I've tried them on any of my Old Types, New Improveds, Goodwills, News or Tech razors....I really bought them for my pricier modern razors. I will try and experiment with the washers and those models. Mine are definitely hard nylon. It's good that you have choices, I was thrilled to find the M5x10x1 washers and never really explored beyond that.

I'm looking to get some washers to prevent the marring of the finish on my razors. I expect to use them for my vintage Gillettes - Old Type, New Improved, Goodwill, New & Tech. The width needed sometimes is little more than where the handle meets the underside (Goodyear & New) or would look odd if it overshot the Tech "triangle" where the handle meets. My searches on this forum have found plenty of recommendations for the nylon M5, but I have more options:

M5x7.5mmx1mm
M5x14mmx.08mm
M5x18mmx.09mm

Do you have a size recommendation between these for me? Also, hard or soft nylon?
I've found that the M5x8mm washers fit pretty much everything. M5x7.5 in your list.
I don't think it makes much difference if the nylon is hard or soft.

You might want to also consider using M5 rubber O-Rings instead. Depending on how much you tighten your razor, you can tweak the aggressiveness of the razor just a touch that way.

M5x7.5mmx1mm
M5x14mmx.08mm
M5x18mmx.09mm

Re-reading this, are you sure about the thickness of those last two?
.08mm is roughly equal to .003". Thinner than a coarse whisker.

Re-reading this, are you sure about the thickness of those last two?
.08mm is roughly equal to .003". Thinner than a coarse whisker.

There's no real advantage to a large outside diameter, so M5x8.0 or M5x10.0 would be a good size. Typical thickness for these is somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0 mm. Harder or softer nylon should not matter too much. Buy extras since you will lose some.

Top Bottom