What's new

Washer questions

Alright, all you straight restoration fans! Assuming that you don't make them yourselves, where do you get your washers? And what materials do you use for them? Brass is a pretty obvious material, but do you use anything else?

Stainless steel washers are also commonly used.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blessings on your house! I was kind of stuck trying to figure out what the appropriate part numbers were from MicroConnectors, and those pictures are perfect.

Let me ask you, the different outside diameters are for stacking together, yes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Confusing, right? I spent a few hours searching old B&B threads, and the Internet to understand the world of washers.

The company is called Micro Fasteners. The washers are listed on their website under Hardware > Washers > Flat Washers.

Here are my notes - copy them to a text editor with fixed font.

Metal SKU Size Inner Diameter Outer Diameter Thickness
------------------------------------------------------------------
Brass FWB0 #0 0.064 1/8 0.017
Brass FWBW0 #0 0.064 3/16 0.017
Brass FWB1 #1 0.075 5/32 0.017
Stainless Steel FWS00 #0 0.064 (?) 0.165 0.017 (?)
Stainless Steel FWSS0 #0 0.062 0.125 0.017
Stainless Steel FWSW0 #0 0.062 0.250 0.017
Stainless Steel FWS01 #1 Does not say.

I separately posted a photo of the size #0 brass washers at Your thoughts on inner washers... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/your-thoughts-on-inner-washers.608002/post-11273167.

The last character (digit) in the SKU identifies the size, so they sell two sizes of #0 brass washers and three sizes of #0 stainless washers. I also bought some #1 size washers with holes slightly larger than the #0 washers. So far, I have had better experience with the #0 washers using 1/16 inch rod. My best guess is that the #1 washers would work as outside washers if a #0 washer was placed on top of them.

Thank you! If it's not an imposition, are you using FWSSO for the outside? The EBay washers I used last time stick way up. I don't really dig that. If you could elaborate on your build, I would appreciate it greatly.

PXL_20210605_104316732.jpg

Thank you! If it's not an imposition, are you using FWSSO for the outside?

Not sure who you are asking, but I have only used the brass FWB0 and FWBW0 size #0 washers on the outside. I like the look of the FWB0 on the outside of smaller razors, but the FWBW0 look too large to my eyes, even on larger razors.

I may ask Microfasteners about making a batch of brass #0 with a true 5/32 outer diameter.

It is also possible that if and when I learn how to form better and larger mushroom heads that the contrast between the mushroom and the outer diameter of the FWBW0 will be less visible.

The cost of the washers is low. I would just order everything they make in #0.

FWIW, I use the FWx0 washers externally almost exclusively. The FWxW0 I use internally in general, and occasionally externally as the base layer if I stack with FWx0.

Same here, if I’m only using 1 washer it is the FWx0. If its a big razor and big scales I may stack the 3/16” OD washers with the FWx0. My preference is to stick with brass.

Top Bottom