What's new

Was I being unprofessional. Job interview and follow through.

I wanted to clarify, I have no issue with job hopping, just with GQ. GQ is not a place for career advice. As an employee, you have every right to quit a job and find a new one whenever you want, just like an employer can fire you whenever they want. Sure there might be people who don't like this and it will raise "red flags" or whatever when thy are reviewing your resume, but others will be intrigued, see that you are a well rounded person, and if nothing else, may want to meet with you and find out why you are moving around so much. You just gotta' do what you think it right for you and your career. I can tell you right now, if I was in a job I did not like, and I knew I could get another one, I would! Plain and simple. There is no way in hell I would stay in a job I was not happy in because someone down the line might not like the way it looks on my resume if I quit too early or whatever......

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wonder if that's a generational thing: I am of the same opinion (in my early fifties now) and I was always told if I saw a CV with regular changes, bin it. Then particularly here in Singapore, it's totally acceptable and even expected. When I was first recruiting for someone here, I followed my old wisdom of binning all the CVs I received with what appeared to me to be job hoppers. When I had finished doing that, I realised I had no CVs left to look at, and had to revise my thinking pronto.

The only advice I would offer the OP is look out for yourself and your own future - no other b*gger will.

It may actually be a generational thing.
Unfortunately, until there's no more old buggers like us making hiring decisions, it's a fact he'll have to deal with. :w00t:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wanted to clarify, I have no issue with job hopping, just with GQ. GQ is not a place for career advice.

GQ offers advice. Odd are, it's not good advice; occasionally, they will stumble onto good advice, but it's more akin the the broken clock that tells the correct time twice a day.

As an employee, you have every right to quit a job and find a new one whenever you want, just like an employer can fire you whenever they want. Sure there might be people who don't like this and it will raise "red flags" or whatever when thy are reviewing your resume, but others will be intrigued, see that you are a well rounded person, and if nothing else, may want to meet with you and find out why you are moving around so much. You just gotta' do what you think it right for you and your career. I can tell you right now, if I was in a job I did not like, and I knew I could get another one, I would! Plain and simple. There is no way in hell I would stay in a job I was not happy in because someone down the line might not like the way it looks on my resume if I quit too early or whatever......

Please don't think that way ... you are doing yourself a disservice. Please don't post that way, you are misleading others.

That sounds a bit harsh. Sorry. But this is one time when that old libertarian "it's your right to do whatever you want to do and the rest of the world just has to get used to it" bit is going to do yourself a harm. Employers put a lot of time, effort and money into hiring and training new workers. They don't want to do all that just to have the new worker wander off to a new job a year or two down the line, making the employer start the process all over again.

If you are handing out the résumé of a serial job hopper, you are going to have a lot of your résumés binned ... a lot of them indeed!! ... before anyone is actually "intrigued" enough by your inability to stick with something over the long term that they would an hour out of their very (very!) busy day to meet with you and find out why "such a well-rounded person is moving around so much".

Look, everyone expects a bit of job mobility in a work history, especially in one's younger years. Nobody will begrudge a young professional the opportunity of quitting a post-university job at Starbucks to take a job related to his chosen career path, regardless of how brief his time slinging joe. But let's face it ... most jobs suck. We'd all rather be home or on the golf course ... or wherever. Nobody hangs a "gone workin'" sign up at his favourite fishing hole. A job applicant whose résumé shows someone who has a history of hopping from one unpleasant job to another ... whether it's six months flipping burgers at McDonald's followed by six months at Burger King and a whopping eight months at Wendy's ... or whether it's six months as a junior architect at Smith & Co. followed by eight months as junior architect at Jones & Jones followed by ... yo get the idea ... well, it doesn't set a good precedent.

Ian, I think it also depends on the industry you work in. In several industries, it is completely normal (and even expected) to move to another job after two to three years at one company.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ian, I think it also depends on the industry you work in. In several industries, it is completely normal (and even expected) to move to another job after two to three years at one company.

What industry is this normal in that doesn't involve a chromed pole in the center of the stage? :lol:

It's your career, do whatever you think is best, but I'm simply saying that The Boomers are still in Managerial Positions right now, and a recent survey found only 39 percent that didn't bin resumes from perceived "job hoppers".
I can tell you that it takes a full year for people I hire to come up to speed in this highly technical field. There's no way on God's Green Earth I'm wasting a year or more of training on a Gen Y upwardly mobile focused guy to have him fly away after a year of work where he's starting to get really useful. There are plenty of young Mechanical and Electrical Engineers that I can afford to toss any resumes that don't fit.
There are a LOT more applicants than there are positions.

While many new age HR advisors are indeed saying change jobs every 2 to 3 years, just because an HR advocate is promoting it doesn't mean Managers are accepting it.
A Head Hunter is interested in getting a fee from someone for placing an applicant in a job position.
Here's a couple of links to articles that talk about the hazards of job hopping, and how there seems to be a disconnect between actual managers and HR advocates on the subject.
Don't just read the articles, read the comments at the end of each made by real life managers.

http://www.askamanager.org/2012/10/job-hopping-is-killing-your-career.html

http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/...b-hoppers-never-they-make-terrible-employees/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/opinion/job-hopping-schawbel/index.html?_s=PM:OPINION

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Matt, I'm not familiar with any of these industries. Which ones did you have in mind?

What industry is this normal in that doesn't involve a chromed pole in the center of the stage? :lol:

Matt, I'm not familiar with any of these industries. Which ones did you have in mind?

Some examples would be public accounting, investment banking, or other careers within the financial services industry. Many Big Four auditors will leave after two years to pursue an industry job. Many investment bankers will leave after two years to pursue a career in other areas of finance or an industry job.

Overall, you are obviously correct. I was just trying to point out that some industries are different :001_smile

Please don't think that way ... you are doing yourself a disservice. Please don't post that way, you are misleading others.

That sounds a bit harsh. Sorry. But this is one time when that old libertarian "it's your right to do whatever you want to do and the rest of the world just has to get used to it" bit is going to do yourself a harm. Employers put a lot of time, effort and money into hiring and training new workers. They don't want to do all that just to have the new worker wander off to a new job a year or two down the line, making the employer start the process all over again.

Lol.....I am just going to laugh this one off....it does not sound harsh, just ridiculous. You are the one who needs to re-evaluate his thinking and you are the one doing a disservice to others. You are trying to guilt people into believing that they somehow have an obligation to the company they work for and cannot leave at will because "money" was invested in training them. The employee is investing their time and life in the company as well. Does this mean a company won't ever fire or lay-off the employee? Of course not! It is a two way street. Being "libertarian" and all this other nonsense has nothing to do with it........

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
It may actually be a generational thing.
Unfortunately, until there's no more old buggers like us making hiring decisions, it's a fact he'll have to deal with. :w00t:

I am not as old as you Phil but close. I just celebrated my 29th year with my company. I too hire people and question job hopping almost more than an employment gap.

To the OP good luck with your new career.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am not as old as you Phil but close. I just celebrated my 29th year with my company. I too hire people and question job hopping almost more than an employment gap.

To the OP good luck with your new career.

Yep, like I said, real managers who do the hiring know the truth. The me first rampant attitude is what I'm trying to avoid, and so far it has worked out splendidly.
The folks I hire believe that they have an obligation to the company they work for. Just as we have an obligation to them.
I can see it being more acceptable in the banking and financial industry, but I can tell you it is not that way in the technical fields.
And of course, if you're talking about flipping burgers or such, it's certainly not a big deal.

Interesting conversation.
I've worked for the same company now for 13 years. I wouldn't dream of working anywhere else.
I treat them well and they treat me well.

It's all how you look at it. Glass half empty or half full kind of thing.
I guess my glass is half full.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... You are trying to guilt people into believing that they somehow have an obligation to the company they work for and cannot leave at will because "money" was invested in training them.

You misunderstand.

It's not a "guilt trip" ... it's a fact of life. Good jobs don't grow on trees nowadays. There are lots of capable applicants for any decent job. The interviewer, sifting through his pile of applications, will be looking to find the best candidate for the position, and part of that "best" includes "not likely to bail on us in a few years".

The employee is investing their time and life in the company as well. Does this mean a company won't ever fire or lay-off the employee? Of course not! It is a two way street.

That's why workers should do their due diligence and investigate the employer before applying. Avoid bad employers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Some examples would be public accounting, investment banking, or other careers within the financial services industry. Many Big Four auditors will leave after two years to pursue an industry job. Many investment bankers will leave after two years to pursue a career in other areas of finance or an industry job.

Overall, you are obviously correct. I was just trying to point out that some industries are different :001_smile

Thanks, Matt, good to know which industries you were thinking about.

Thank you all for the responses. I read them all. A few more things. During The new firm's interview the principal mentioned in the past he had an intern start stipend and then moved to pay and stayed a total of 2.5 years and then she moved onto a bigger firm in the city doing larger scale projects at a more senior level position. This is something I intend on doing as well. And I believe I conveyed the message and it is a mutual understanding. However in 2 years or so how do I bring this up. I want to be as proffesional as possible. Do I say I am interviewing because that as we all know can be a 1 week thing or it can be a 1 year thing. I don't want to be phased out because I let an employer know too much in advance. End game is I want to get all I can learn from residential design and use that as a stepping stone to get into commercial and eventually city design but with more responsibility then a part time employe who will never be able to take lead on a project had I stayed at my former job.

This is essentially your first real industry job. Focus on getting the most out of it.
My advice to you is to spend some time with your new boss on defining and setting your career goals for the next 6 months and 12 months. You should have a solid set of milestones and actionable goals. Have the habit of a bi-weekly 101 meeting with your boss to track you progress, get constructive feedback and see how your goals, commitments and expectations are met. Don't mention you intend to leave in 2 years. Who knows, you might decide to stay longer. When you feel it is time to move on, it would come naturally and if you have a healthy relationship with your management, there is no reason why they wouldn't support your decision. Also, unless you have an offer letter in hand, you don't let you current employer know on your intent to leave. That is one card that you keep close to your heart.

Good luck!

I did not read the whole thread yet, but some comments..

To start off I recently turned 26. I have a bachelors of architecture (5 years) and a masters of architecture in urban design and regional planning (1.5 years). I went straight through those 7 years with out working so I can primarily focus on university and well I just did not want to work. After university I took a year off to relax.

After the year off I have been self teaching myself new programs and that will enhance my skill set. I have done internships completely unpaid and some with a small stipend in order to build my resume up. The whole point is to land a salaried position so I can move out of my parents home. (I had moved back after bachelors because pops was unwilling to support me bumming around, which is understandable as they paid for everything else).

Currently I am doing a stipend internship 2 days a week at 10 hrs a day for 15 weeks. Pay is $750. The principal paid us intern 200 half way through with the balance at the end. Half way through the principal asked if I'd like to work more hrs. I politely said no reason being 10 hr days are long with transportation it is 13 hrs. Besides doing all the office management tasks would fall on the interns. I need the time to go and further my skill set, apply for jobs etc. of course I did not say this and just politely said no.
Is that $750/20 hours or $750/300 hours?? A big difference in pay. Either way its great that you are doing the internship.

The other interns are all students and most by now dropped out of the internship because juggling school and work is hard. The principal offered me a position at the firm after the internship is over. Speaking with other employes all of which were interns at one point I knew exactly his hand. 10$ an hr 2-3 days for a year. I thanked him but did not take him up on the offer to think about it because I have 8 weeks left of the internship.

This sounds fine. You and him should have been on firm ground about expectations then, since you turned down his offer.

well I had an interview at a boring residential firm. And got the position of junior architect. I did not have the required experience for the job posting but I applied anyway. I worked my salary numbers to undercut other potential applicants but still great pay considering my limited experience. I immediately tell the principal in person( all the interns that dropped just emailed an associate and never showed up again) that I am going to have to leave the internship shortly after Easter.
This was the most worrisome comment. Unless the paycheck is very high, money is not a good motivator in the long term. An interesting job is what is needed. Maybe you just anticipate it will be boring?? It is hard to imagine that a new graduate would find a job in the real world boring without having the perspective of what it really entails. I know you did not tell your old employer or perspective employer this, but if I were hiring you this would be a serious concern. Both for me and you, as we both need to be happy about the work.

He calls me unprofessional for even going on interviews with out telling him. He then berates me saying I'm young and stupid and made the wrong mistake. He goes on about all the large scale various projects he does vs the residential I would be doing and how I just wasted my career. The whole time i kept my head high with a smile on my face. in my mind i was thinking all this man has is a 20 year jump start on me. hell i have a more impressive educational background then he does. He then says i wont match your salary out of principal. i then told him i never expected you to as i already took the offer. He then asks if I could give him 2 weeks. I said no I can give you the week and a half. I don't see what the big deal is I only work 2 days a week plus the internship ends in 5 weeks.
Two weeks is standard notice, even more might be expected in the professional ranks (i.e. when you are a architect with 10 years experience). You were not being unprofessional for going on these interviews without telling him, but from your comment I can't tell if your boss is just feeling angry and betrayed, or if he really thinks it would be in your best interest long term to stay at your current position. (But of course you need better full time work and not internship working for low pay 2 days a week).

Now I don't see anything wrong in my actions. Myabe its a generational thing. i was trained never to settle whenits about your career. to always move on to bigger and better and never feel complacent. i remebr reading a GQ article that said modern men can not and should not stay and work in the same place for more than 3-4 years. Is it not expected that internships are just a means for one to get employment. It's one thing I guess if your a salaried employee but I can't be expected to be held hostage when you don't pay me squat. I surely won't put this on my résumé but it was not a waste of time as I met some pretty girls my age and made friends.
For a new grad, it is expected that not every job will be a good fit, or that some employers cannot provide right environment, so one will not be punished for moving jobs for good reason. But if there are too many short stints on your resume then fairly or not it will look like you are a person who cannot be satisfied, or a person who cannot fit into different work environments. But don't take that comment too seriously as there are all kinds of acceptable reasons to change job which are explainable. I just caution that having 4-5 different jobs in your first 5-6 years will raise suspicion unless you are doing fixed cycle jobs like internships or contract work.

Sorry for the long post. Please post your feelings as you see fit, I have thick skin. I will follow up with some shorter questions later.

Good luck!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Where I work, complaining about my company has become a cottage industry. But over the years, my company has paid off over a million mortgages (two of them mine), purchased perhaps ten million cars, and paid for untold college educations. You bet your *** I have an obligation to them.

Where I work, complaining about my company has become a cottage industry. But over the years, my company has paid off over a million mortgages (two of them mine), purchased perhaps ten million cars, and paid for untold college educations. You bet your *** I have an obligation to them.

So, you work for the federal government :lol:

Top Bottom