What's new

*Warning-Spoilers, see post #697* - HBO's Game of Thrones

Good one about whether the iron throne still exists!

It does seem to me that Arya developed quite the bag of tricks and has used few of them. I am not suggesting the writers should rely on them. That would seem very manufactured at this point. But, if a dragon is the unstoppable force it turned out to be in episode 5, I can see them relying on Arya being the unseeable, unstoppable assassin in the finale.

I think Dani is toast one way or the other. She has not really played the Game of Thrones. She really has no allies. She seems constitutionally unable to manipulate those around her, as if she was above it. Her claim the iron throne is highly questionable, at best. I do not see anyone but her thinking she has some kind of religious level born claim to it. She has totally abandoned her freer of slaves mantle of humanitarian. She has a dragon and a strong will and that is it.

BTW, I thought her upset at Jon Snow no longer wanting to be her lover seemed overdone. She is his aunt for crying out loud. She should want his loyalty, not his desire. Why make an enemy? As I said, she really does not play the game and, as a result, in the show, as in real life, should be toast!

Maybe she’ll fly back to Mereen?

I’m laying looong odds against Arya killing Dany. Arya already had her “glory kill” via the Night King. I doubt they’ll go back to that trick again.

New outlook:

Hot Pie, on the Iron Throne, with the cherry pie.

Everyone else goes home.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
All I know is if Cersei and Jaime come crawling out of the rubble, they'll be hell to pay.

If I were Dany (which I am not) I would have taken out the ships by dropping boulders on them from above the vertical range of the oxybeles. Or maybe flaming pots of oil. Flaming pots of oil for the wall emplacements too.

Is it too much of a stretch to have Nymeria pop up?
Ooh - I got it. Arya puts on a face, and Nymeria almost gives her away. Just like Argos recognising Odysseus.

Dragon bones in the basement. Why not an egg or two, for Jon to find?
All I know is if Cersei and Jaime come crawling out of the rubble, they'll be hell to pay.
Yup.

Last edited:
Had a chance to watch the latest one. Now keep in mind I haven't watched any of this show so I know nothing really about it but all I could think of as I was watching it was didn't the dragon lady just take out the castle? She could have just flown over everything else and just fried the queen. Why bother with the gate and soldiers that were so far away? Why risk the dragon? Also the Queen's side kick said all the dragon killing crossbows were destroyed so that meant that the castle didn't have any defense.
Maybe I missed something. The production value was amazing but the storyline/ writing didn't really make sense to me.

Had a chance to watch the latest one. Now keep in mind I haven't watched any of this show so I know nothing really about it but all I could think of as I was watching it was didn't the dragon lady just take out the castle? She could have just flown over everything else and just fried the queen. Why bother with the gate and soldiers that were so far away? Why risk the dragon? Also the Queen's side kick said all the dragon killing crossbows were destroyed so that meant that the castle didn't have any defense.
Maybe I missed something. The production value was amazing but the storyline/ writing didn't really make sense to me.

Go back to episode #1, season one, and watch the entire 70+ hours and then get back to us.

And yes, that IS a homework assignment young man!

proxy.php

I dunno. I’m feeling a bit underwhelmed at this season so far.
I feel like there is going to be some very quick resolution to this story and so many of the main characters left are going to be underdone-
Dany
Arya
Sansa
Jon
Tyrion
Ser Davos
Bran
Bron

??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It'll clear a few things up.

Maybe. It does not quite clear things up for me. But it gives one a lot to analyze. It depends on what one concludes Dany's motivations are. Some might say that her personal losses, recent and in the past, have driven her mad and sent her into a berzerker kind of revenge mind state. Others might say her actions are calculated to instill the maximum amount of fear in, essentially, everyone. That she now sees fear her means to power as "love" for her has slipped away. A Stalinistic, I suppose. A variation of these would be that she wants Cersei to see just how much Dany has dominated her and taken everything away from her before she kills Cersei. The trick there being that Cersei wins here. Cersei does not care about those peasants. Dany should. And by inciting Dany to kill all of those innocents, Cersei has beaten Dany by having Dany go against her fundamental self-image of being a just savior or the oppressed. Moreover, Cersei wins because this wanton attack on the defenseless, will remove all remaining support Dany has to be queen.

I would say, imtabor, there is nothing wrong with your eyesight or analysis to me. I think it would have made a lot more sense politically, militarily, and common sense-wise to take Cersei out at the first opportunity. Among other things, Cersei could easily have escaped. That said, I am not sure what the writers are trying to tell us about Dany. What she did surely sets the stage for her downfall.

BTW, I thought the Forbes review of this episode, freely available on-line, was particularly insightful. The bottom line being that this season has been simply too rushed. Anything that has taken place could make sense, if there had been more development ahead of time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's a good meme, @timah083. I've held a similar opinion about much that's happened over the last few seasons. There was a lot of filler and treading water . . . and . . . then . . . BOOM! Something big happens, and you're not always sure why. There have been some great moments, but there have been a lot of fluff and holes. Even lthe last episode, which I liked a good bit, had a couple of glaring holes in it.

The BOOM always has been there, but there was a much more interesting, intricate leadup to it. The rich, tight storytelling decreased tremendously once the show outran the books.

all I could think of as I was watching it was didn't the dragon lady just take out the castle?

Even watching the whole show from the first opening credits may not give you a satisfactory answer. There most certainly is a good bit of story supporting her going all Dracarys, but not all over multitudes of innocents. There were some brief, isolated mentions of laying waste to King's Landing, but it's always felt like someone trying to cram something in so that they could make the BOOM. It never really made sense.

It could have, if the show had done a better job of storytelling.

anyone else notice that look grey worm gave Jon in kings landing? Wonder if he’s going to say something to Danny, like maybe Jon was trying to betray us or something?

is it really so far fetched?

Perhaps it's just me. But say I'm stuck in traffic (Boston), I need to be somewhere, and things just are not moving along.

If I had a fire breathing dragon (bazooka, tank, etc..), I would gladly lay waste to the cars in front of me, the cars next to me, school buses full of innocent children, houses nearby, etc. until I felt sufficiently satisfied that my rage was sated and I got where I wanted to be.

Sure, afterwards I'd likely have a tinge of remorse.

is it really so far fetched?

Perhaps it's just me. But say I'm stuck in traffic (Boston), I need to be somewhere, and things just are not moving along.

If I had a fire breathing dragon (bazooka, tank, etc..), I would gladly lay waste to the cars in front of me, the cars next to me, school buses full of innocent children, houses nearby, etc. until I felt sufficiently satisfied that my rage was sated and I got where I wanted to be.

Sure, afterwards I'd likely have a tinge of remorse.
The thing is, she zigzagged her way through the city, torching non-combatants. It was not just about getting to the Keep.
It's an uncharacteristic "kick the dog" moment for her.

Uncharacteristic?

“Kill the Masters!”
-Astapor gets lit with her smirking as her dragon torches those on the wall behind her

Crucifiction of random 163 Masters of Mereen

Burning up a tent full of Dothraki leaders.

She’s kicked plenty of puppies

Top Bottom