What's new

WARNING: Sebum Lather Photos Ahead!

These are incredible photos!

I have a few questions:

1. How is the post shave? Does it compare with the likes of Grooming Department or Wholly Kaw?

2 How does the slickness compare with other top-tier soaps like the ones just mentioned?

3. Would you purchase again?
Thanks

Hello, and thanks!

The post shave is incredible, and is one of the best I have had from any soap. It is great with no serum, or other post-shave product, but really shines when paired with another Sebum Serum.

The slickness of the Sebum Tonka, when properly dialed in, is the best I have used. There are others that come close, but nothing quite matches it. The other Sebum Soaps, when properly dialed in, are also very slick, but Tonka has the best slip!

I would probably not purchase again, just because the Sebum Soaps are so expensive, and like I said, there are other soaps that are very close. Actually, on any given day I can get a lather from Stirling or Mystic Waters that definitely rivals the Sebum Soaps...even Tonka. I personally think the Sebum Lime soap and serum give you the best bang for your buck across their entire line. I don’t know if there are any in stock though...I haven’t been on the website in awhile.

If you are really happy with Grooming Department or Wholly Kaw, I would say stick with them. I recently bought a second set of the WK Tempest, because I thought so highly of it in the Siero Base!

Vr

Matt

This was perhaps the best shave I have ever given myself...Heljestrand MK133, and Sebum Shave Soap!
870C99FF-30B6-4FAB-B5D3-F0F4C50ECE38.jpeg
B2437A74-BC55-420F-BA55-B5FBEF2BA4F1.jpeg
94402976-991C-4FF8-BC19-42BA52FFBE5E.jpeg
D6B341C3-D381-473B-9965-CF6BC44356E1.jpeg
FCF6424A-FD94-4782-8C64-F33333252740.jpeg
19750E22-D5E2-4176-ACB4-B61A43DAE67B.jpeg

Gents,

I had a little bit of fun last night...I mixed the Sebum Blue and Green soaps in my lather bowl, and it turned out really really well. They are both great scents on their own, and even better combined! The performance was the standard top tier, and I also used an old 8/8+ Wade & Butcher FBU. Max Sprecher handled the restore, and the blue paua shell scales.

It is one of my favorite razors, and I put a pretty sweet edge on it with a mystery JNAT that I purchased off of eBay. This particular stone is turning out to be my finest finisher!

Vr

Matt
E11A91FB-523F-4BF9-B826-11B9CDBC89FF.jpeg
466CB494-9B0E-4705-9048-E1199BFC596A.jpeg
BB703194-59B1-4227-B186-07943C44F536.jpeg
061EB3AB-ED47-43BF-B226-77FF117792D3.jpeg
8429B11F-D242-454C-9568-75F1A18CEC1E.jpeg

After reading the thread and seeing the pictures of your fantastic soap, I must admit that it was very tempting to order this brand. But after reading reviews elsewhere, I get a different impression. There are several who believe that the texture itself is completely different (almost like liquid syrup) from the normal artisan soap. Some people also complain about the time it takes to make the lather.

Have you experienced any of the same? I just think this is a very expensive soap, and it's a little sad for them who buy something completely different than what is expected of a shaving soap, especially for those who like the usual lather process :)

After reading the thread and seeing the pictures of your fantastic soap, I must admit that it was very tempting to order this brand. But after reading reviews elsewhere, I get a different impression. There are several who believe that the texture itself is completely different (almost like liquid syrup) from the normal artisan soap. Some people also complain about the time it takes to make the lather.

Have you experienced any of the same? I just think this is a very expensive soap, and it's a little sad for them who buy something completely different than what is expected of a shaving soap, especially for those who like the usual lather process :)

Sebum soaps are different from all other soaps, and they require a different technique to maximize their capabilities of ultra protection, glide, slickness, and residual slickness. The closest “normal” soap currently being produced in terms of performance characteristics is Tallow + Steel....probably followed by the current bases that A&E is putting out.

I previously thought that the Sebum soaps were slightly above average, but that was because I was trying to lather them like every other soap I use and expecting the same results. Sebum soaps do not work that way...so I developed the technique listed earlier in this thread, and it works for me.

The texture of the soap in the glass jar is harder than a croap, but not as hard as say an MDC...it isn’t as soft as a Tallow + Steel or an Ariana & Evans soap. Once the lathering starts it can be made to have a syrup consistency, Elmer Glue consistency, sour cream consistency, Greek yogurt consistency, etc...based off of your lathering technique, and how much soap and water you use. I like the drippy glue/sour cream like consistency that’s pretty ooey gooey, and I paint it onto my face. Once on I continue to paint and add water until it’s absolutely perfect. During that part of the process I have the slightest stream of water running which I run the brush through as needed, as I continue to “paint.”

I have my technique pretty well dialed in, and it takes me about 15-20 minutes (usually closer to 15) to make the lather that you see in the pictures, including the taking of the actual pictures...so yes...it takes more time to lather than other soaps, but I don’t mind...I am never in a hurry when I shave, and I get rewarded with the end product every time.

I hope that I answered your questions.

In my opinion, the Sebum Soaps are the best on the market (though I didn’t care for the purple which was used in that video due to the fragrance). The Tonka Bean Butter for straight razors is the best of the bunch, and the Blue is probably a close second.

These are some pictures from today’s shave with my favorite razor...a 2nd Generation Especial Filarmonica 14 Salamanca!

Vr

Matt

12EB01C5-2334-4A8F-B931-7342718B7DF4.jpeg
A3F08EC0-C234-4D88-953C-EBF77A67A010.jpeg
7673F5C4-A1DD-4E3D-80E5-40969B792F20.jpeg

Top Bottom