What's new

Warning on GEM Featherweight Razor

Featherweights are nice shavers. I don't find myself using them much, but when I do I'm never disappointed.
Hi all,

This is an awesome thread!

This here "newbie" is dusting off this thread again if you don't mind.
I've been on a roll since joining B&B (about four weeks ago) and have acquired a BAD case of RAD since (right out the gate) finding a VERY nice condition Gillette (D4) Fatboy for eight dollars! Since that first purchase, I've been hooked! Over the last four weeks, I have acquired TWO DOZEN Razors (help me).
Today (4/17/19) I (fell deep down the Rabbit hole) and purchased (Cherry picked) FOUR GEM Razors :

GEM Micromatic (Brass ?)
GEM "Bullet Tip/Flying Wing"
GEM Featherweight and.....
GEM (G-bar) "Heavy Flat Top"

The Micromatic is by far the most used of the four and needs a serious cleaning/detail.
Other than a good cleaning, the Micromatic Razor is in very straight condition.
The other three are all in VERY good condition (some possible NOS).
I dear say, half of my twenty four Razors are GEM/EVER-READY. I look forward
to shaving with one as soon as my order of Single Edge Blades arrive.

SixCats!
Nice, if you have a '12 that's where I would start. There my favorite of the Gem style Razor. Otherwise I would go with the G-bar or Featherweight.

How was it getting use to? I just received my first 1912 in the mail today. Scared and excited to use
There not near as scary as they look. You'll find a little variance between examples, but most are mild to medium. They really hit the sweet spot of mild, yet efficient enough to get the job done.

My GEM Jr is anything but mild, but I'm still getting the hang of it. After four shaves I'm getting to DFS level without too much blood letting. My experience might be the way it is since I'm used to using a Merkur 34c.

Hi all,

@PeteVK, Yikes! Pete, are you using the proper angle ? My (first ever) Single Edge shave was using my "Ever-Ready 1912" and it was an awesome shave. I sure did however take my time and forced myself to go slow. I suppose I should soon try either my "Featherweight" or "G-Bar". I must be honest, as BEAUTIFUL as my "G-Bar" is (I think it's NOS) the weight and handle of the "G-Bar" feels a little bit odd to me. The "Featherweight" on the other Hand feels gooood in my Hand. Ooooh, yesterday, I purchased a very nice (nearly new) condition GEM Junior (Gold) that I will soon have to give a try. This being said, I think the ornate/Art Deco handle on my Ever-Ready 1912 is still the best looking of the bunch although the GEM Junior I purchased yesterday is MUCH more shinny! Purrrrty!

SixCats!

Hi all,

@PeteVK, Yikes! Pete, are you using the proper angle ? My (first ever) Single Edge shave was using my "Ever-Ready 1912" and it was an awesome shave. I sure did however take my time and forced myself to go slow. I suppose I should soon try either my "Featherweight" or "G-Bar". I must be honest, as BEAUTIFUL as my "G-Bar" is (I think it's NOS) the weight and handle of the "G-Bar" feels a little bit odd to me. The "Featherweight" on the other Hand feels gooood in my Hand. Ooooh, yesterday, I purchased a very nice (nearly new) condition GEM Junior (Gold) that I will soon have to give a try. This being said, I think the ornate/Art Deco handle on my Ever-Ready 1912 is still the best looking of the bunch although the GEM Junior I purchased yesterday is MUCH more shinny! Purrrrty!

SixCats!

Glad you’re enjoying the GEM. I hold the GBar in my finger support the underside of the base with the fourth finger.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just found this thread just searching and loving the fw I just acquired a short while ago. Have a 1912 on the way just to try something different and find myself casually browsing for a backup fw (not sure it's worth replating a fw).

Thread revival!

I just bought a New 1950's Gem Featherweight!
This will me my first SE razor. I know nothing about SE's!
An interesting addition to my vintage razors.
I was browsing "The Bay" and ran into it.
I think this one was a good deal. "New old stock" and it was $11.50! Not bad!
I also ordered some Personna stainless blades that way when it arrives next week,
I can go straight to using it.
I'm looking forward to receiving it and trying it out!

full

full

Last edited:
My "New old stock" Featherweight arrived today and I've already had a shave with it.
This was my first ever SE shave!
2 pass WTG/XTG resulting in a near BBS shave!
Uneventful, smooth & very close using GEM Personna SS blades.
It's definitely different because of the shape of the head but easy to adapt.
Only thing was a tad of burning sensation after the shave which I would attribute to the thicker
blade. My skin has to get used to it. But my face ended up smooth!
I like it!

full

full

My "New old stock" Featherweight arrived today and I've already had a shave with it.
This was my first ever SE shave!
2 pass WTG/XTG resulting in a near BBS shave!
Uneventful, smooth & very close using GEM Personna SS blades.
It's definitely different because of the shape of the head but easy to adapt.
Only thing was a tad of burning sensation after the shave which I would attribute to the thicker
blade. My skin has to get used to it. But my face ended up smooth!
I like it!

full

full
Congrats, I love all my SE razors which outnumber my de's by 2 or 3 to 1

Congrats, I love all my SE razors which outnumber my de's by 2 or 3 to 1
Cool!
Let's see how much much I like the SE's. I just received a Razorock Hawk today and that one is AC format. I'll compare it to the GEM and see. Maybe I'll end up loving the SE's more.
Who knows!

Bumping this from the dead. I got hooked on Gems this year to epic degree! I just received one of the last ones I wanted for my set a featherweight. I also got a G2 schick injector at the same time. I shaved with both at the same time & loved them both. The Gem featherweight was fantastic. Loved it. I went full of the deep end & have a full set.
Im also shocked how long these PTFE blades shave for! I think I’m going on shave 7? Double a DE for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4568.jpeg
    IMG_4568.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4489.jpeg
    IMG_4489.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this from the dead. I got hooked on Gems this year to epic degree! I just received one of the last ones I wanted for my set a featherweight. I also got a G2 schick injector at the same time. I shaved with both at the same time & loved them both. The Gem featherweight was fantastic. Loved it. I went full of the deep end & have a full set.
Im also shocked how long these PTFE blades shave for! I think I’m going on shave 7? Double a DE for me.
I really got into GEM and Injector razors early last year and ended up acquiring quite a few of both formats since then. Both GEMs and Injectors are great razors that deliver fantastic shaves. It never ceases to amaze me how long ago many of these razors were made, how well they were made and how well they work. It is also great that excellent blades are still being made for these razor formats.

I often use my GEM Featherweight when I want an excellent CCS.

If you read my post up above (#49), you'll see that I wrote that 1 year and 4 months ago. Man have I expanded since then. @Oldernwiser wrote about the possible rabbit hole on post #50. And I certainly went down that rabbit hole!
Today I can say that GEM's & Injectors are my favorite from all the possible blade formats. I now own quite a few models both modern & vintage. Glad you brought this thread back to life for everyone that enjoys these unique
razors!

Top Bottom