What's new

Warning for those who like to bid on razors on the bay

Whenever placing bids on multiple razors on the bay, no matter how low your bids are, be careful. You might just wake up the next morning with e-mails notifying you that you won three out of the five razors you bid on. I was really only wanting to win at least one razor and fully expected to be outbid on everyone, but somehow I'm now awaiting the arrival of three old Gillettes. I've been wanting to find a decent Fatboy or a Slim to purchase and try out with the hopes of sending it off to Westcoast Razors to get a two-tone refinishing. Well now I get to try both of them to see which I will like better. So enough with the talking, here are the pics from my score!
$58 fatboy.jpg
This is the 58' Fatboy (if the Seller told the truth)
$60 fatboy.jpg
this is the 60' Fatboy ( if the Seller told the truth)
$62 slim.jpg
This is the 62' Slim ( If the Seller told the truth)

Yeah, that's how I won my Aristocrat. Still waiting for it to come, but I put in such a low bid, I thought I'd be outbid before the auction ended. Look at any of the completed listings and they almost all went for more than my max bid. I actually won it, to my surprise, and it didn't even approach my max bid, so I got it for a song. Wasn't even taking it seriously at the time.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you snipe them you can build groups which will cancel all bids once one of the bid on auctions are won.

Nice pick ups btw.

well you will now have an opinion as to which shaves better the fatboy or the slim, i think the slim is still winning the all time leader board around here on that matter lol well in the many posts i have come to see anyway, but the best way to figure out is to try them yourself, you will have no trouble getting rid of your onwanted ones on the bay or on BST so its not all that bad lol dont forget to come back and mention which one won the toss up and post pics of the re plate !

I recently bid on 2 fatboys bid 35.99 max on both. Did win one auction discribed as near mint with only $3 shipping $38.99 total. Hope that is what I get when it arrives later this week. I also bought a slim for 30 of the BST and it making its way from Canada. Will probably have a complete newbie kit soon on the BST. I hope to only have 3 razors my EJ DE89L and my Slim and Fatboy.

Ok, I've heard this before. Splain to me about this snipe thing.

Auction sniper and bid sniper are the two I'm familiar with (though I think they are under the same ownership now). Let's you place proxy bids that are entered at the last few seconds of the auction. You can pick your lead time usually 3-7 seconds before the auction ends. Great because you can place bids on multiple items and edit up to 5 mins. before the auction ends. Kind of cheating but it let's you place bids without others seeing interest in the item. They also have some good tutorials about bid "tells".

that does not look like a bad thing to me at all... you get to try them both now.

I purchased a fatboy and a slim at the same time. Personally I preferred the Slim, so I kept it and passed the fatboy onto a co-worker who is now hooked on wet shaving.

depends on what you consider low??? i will low bid just so it tracks it for me. my low, is usually lower than shipping.

This is one of the reasons I an so dubious about ordering on websites like ebay. I find it difficult to trust invisible people on the net.

Congrats on the razors, they all look in fine shape. Keep the fatboy that is in better shape and sell the other to fund the entire purchase. As for the slim, everybody needs a fatboy and a slim, most here have a strong preference for one or the other.
This is why I love flea bay. You are buying goods sight unseen from sellers who honestly know nothing about what they are selling, so I never bid anywhere near market value. Sometimes the bidding far exceedes value, sometimes not.
No question, then, which auction I want to be a part of. It takes time to sort through auctions and you have to know what you are looking at, but you would be amazed at the prices I've paid for top notch goods.
Enjoy.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Those all look like great shavers which should do fine with a simple application of Scrubbing bubbles. You can have the one (or one of each) plated and put the other(s) on the BST and they'll go almost instantly.

OTOH, you could plate all three and put what you don't want back on eBay. It seems folks will pay almost any amount of money for a shiny razor these days, it's been nuts lately. You are almost guaranteed to get at least half again as much as you'd have sunk into it on eBay after a plating.

Anyway, those are all nice looking, working razors that was a nice score!

I gave up on bidding back in 2003-4 timeframe. I just search the "Buy It Now" stuff. If its a fair price to me I get it. For me the cool thing about eBay is the ability to find items no longer made or sold in stores.

I found with bidding the final price wound up being close to the Buy It Now price anyway....

Top Bottom