What's new

Warming soaps - deliberate....?

I'm aware that products containing ingedients such as menthol or peppermint are designed to have a cooling effect but when a product has a warming effect is this deliberate or an unintended reaction to something in it?

I don't class myself has having particularly sensitive skin (I have a little rosacea but it's triggered by extremes of temperature rather than anything I put on my skin) and I have 3 soaps in my collection that cause a warming effect, namely:

Ariana & Evans St Barts
Catie's Bubbles LPV
Tallow & Steel Maya

It occurs to me that all 3 of them are quite heavily scented...

The warming sensation they cause is not unpleasant, quite the opposite in fact, and I have no irritation or redness post shave.

Any thoughts?

I felt a slight warming sensation once when I used a soap that had pepper and cinnamon listed in the scent profile, Ariana & Evans Which One's Pink. I figured I probably had a slight reaction to either the pepper or cinnamon scent compounds and didn't use the soap again. My face also turned a little bit red, but it went away after about 20 minutes.

Maya is T+S's quirky take on Bay Rum (along with their more traditional Indian Bay), so I would guess incorporates bay oil/leaves, which definitely has (intended) a warming effect. Same for Ogallala's multiple versions of BR, M&M's Bad Mohr, or basically anything that has "bay" on the label. Real heat is usually reserved for the aftershave of same.

Top Bottom