What's new

Wardrobe Simplification

So I have been pondering this for sometime. I have two closets of shirts, probably 8 suits, another 8 jackets, 6 pairs of boots, jeans (10), trousers (20), a chest of drawers jammed to the hilt, 200 ties, 10 coats, etc. I left the military in 2003 with polos and jeans, and now I could start a second hand (or in many cases third hand) clothing store. My wife will be retiring from her teaching gig in 4.5 more years and at that time we would like to tour the country in an RV for at least a couple years.

So I work for Big Blue, two days are jeans and a collared shirt, two days with the client are tie, and I work from home one day.

So all of this has prompted some thinking. I can keep about thirty ties and three pair of black boots (it will suck to get rid of my Varvatos, Tony Llamas, and Tecovas in brown - but stick with me). I could go with probably 3 pairs of black trousers, 5 collared/buttoned shirts (same color), and 2 blazers (color?). For a more casual look either black jeans or a 5.11 style pants (have those, no need to purchase).

So work wise I would have to purchase shirts, but I have everything else. I want to follow the "buy once, cry once" model. Most of my current shirts are Robert Graham and Gitman Brothers, and they have served me well for 15 years and still look great. But again, at 50+ years of age it is time to pass down to my kids, and donate to a good cause.

So anyway, here are my questions:

Has anyone here gone to wearing the same thing to work daily?
Has anyone tried paring down to basics/minimalism?
If you were to consider this, how would you go about it? Find a look that works and build on it?
What are the pitfalls if any?
Should I consider other wardrobe combinations?

If I can pull this off, I will simplify in other areas of my life as well. Better to have quality than quantity. But I think combinations to create four sets (home winter, home summer - we live in the south, professional, and business casual) of clothing may be the start of preparing for the future. Please let me know your thoughts.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I left the military in 2003 ...

Has anyone here gone to wearing the same thing to work daily?

You mean, like, a uniform?

Try this: make a pile of the fewest items of clothing you will need for a week (or two weeks if you do laundry fortnightly). Just enough to get from laundry load to laundry load. Everything else is "off limits". You aren't going to throw it out or get rid of it but ... just not use it at all. Week in, week out, you wear the same stuff. When something wears out, go to your "off limits stockpile" and bring one replacement item out of purgatory and put it into the daily rotation.

Two months in, you may be driven nuts by this repetitive regime. Six months in you may love it and want to keep going. Try it and find out. And since you haven't gotten rid of your other clothes (yet) you still have them if you end up hating the "always wear the same thing" idea in practice.

Yep. Last 3 or 4 years in the workplace I simplified, mostly wore khaki slacks, button down shirts. However, it was an academic environment.

Upon retirement I delivered lots of dressier clothes to the thrift shop. Kept a handful of sport coats. I have worn jeans and old dress shirts most days.

The world seems to get more casual every day.

The world seems to get more casual every day.

I want to buck that trend. I do wear jeans (today I am wearing a pair of black Lees) but I try to stick to collared button downs and nice boots. Sometimes I throw a vest in the mix (I am only a rock and roll cowboy, not a real one). I also like the jeans and sport coat look and try to set an example for the younger men at work.

@Doc4 Thank you for your input, I think I may bag up but not drop it at the thrift store yet. A few months in storage won't ruin it.

Anyone else?

Only if you want to pile all your clothes on your bed. (Don’t ask me how I know that)

Just did it, and let me tell you: three large trashbags being donated to the local shelter right away (stuff I do not wear), another couple going in to hold as suggested by @Doc4. Funny thing is my estimates above were way low. I still have over 45 dress shirts.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Just did it, and let me tell you: three large trashbags being donated to the local shelter right away (stuff I do not wear), another couple going in to hold as suggested by @Doc4. Funny thing is my estimates above were way low. I still have over 45 dress shirts.
Awesome! :clap: Thanks for your contribution to us thrift store junkies.

Awesome! :clap: Thanks for your contribution to us thrift store junkies.

Actually the place where I am donating uses the clothing to help men and women get work appropriate clothing. My hope is some of my suits will help folks prepare for their interview. It is a pretty cool idea.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Actually the place where I am donating uses the clothing to help men and women get work appropriate clothing. My hope is some of my suits will help folks prepare for their interview. It is a pretty cool idea.
That’s even better! It is a cool idea.

Can’t speak to the needs for work and dailies. You’ll find your balance.

I did spend 7 month on my longest leg in a VW Westy, and you need actually very little clothing on the road. Couple of each, based on weather and you’re good generally. I actually took a suit and one pair of shoes so I could park and fly out to a funeral/wedding/whatever.

A couple t shirts and shorts, a nice business casual-ish set for finer dining/whatever. One or two cold weather things... mix and matchable to up or down dress as the occasion warrants. Most of my stuff was outdoor/hiking/performance oriented, and packed small, to include an 850 down puffy jacket.

It’s actually enlightening how little we really need to get by and enjoy ourselves when unencumbered by the weight of what we carry through our lives

Top Bottom