What's new

War of the Barberpoles!! 38C Standard, vs. 12C Open Comb, vs. 39C Slant Sledgehammer

Gentlemen,

I am looking for those of you who use or have used the Standard 38C Barberpole HD and the 12C Open Comb Barberpole HD, and the 39C Slant Sledgehammer Barberpole.

I am looking for very thourough descriptions of how these differ from each other: (When using the same blades, cream/soap, etc.)

1) The neccessity to be extra careful during shaving, if so.

2) The closeness of your shaves in comparison to each other.

3) How long does your shave stay very presentable for each one, in hours? In other words, which razors shave stays smooth the longest?

4) How would you rate each razors aggressiveness, using a scale of 1-5?

5) How does each razor do when shaving several days of beard growth? What is the maximum days of growth you can successfully shave with each razor?

6) Which blades do you use, and if different blades are used in each, the reasons for doing so.

7) What pre-shave, soap, post-shave products do you use with these razors. Don't bother to be exhaustive in your list. I think that the products used in common between these razors is most meaningful, however if there is the need to specifically use a different product for one razor, that is equally important,so please share with us your reasons.

8) If you happen to use the Futur as well, how would you compare these razors to it? Comparing it with the same questions would be most excellent, but any information would be greatly appreciated.

9) Anything that you feel should be mentioned about these razors, please do.

Thank you gentlemen! Any input, however partial even, will be appreciated.

What seems mundane to one person can be gold for another.

I only have the 12C, so can't give you a three-way comparo. I don't find it fearsomely aggressive as some have said. I quite like the open comb design for my Grade IV coarse stubble: It gives me a very smooth shave. Blade angle makes a big difference of course. Blades, I've used Merkur (under-rated IMHO), and Feathers (still evaluating). I'm using Cella soap.

I was looking for the same info just a week ago. I went through lots of threads and reviews which made it even harder to decide.
So... I decided to order all three. Give in! :smile:

I'll wonder what the wife will say but I have already a good explanation.
You see, the shipping costs where the same for one razor or for all three.
It was €8 which is 20% of the price of the razor, but only 6,75% of the value of all three.
And since I would have bought them anyway in the future I actually 'saved' money to buy them at once. And thanks to the money 'saved' I can buy the 1904 as well next time. :smile:
This is fail proof, right? Right?

I say buy the 38c and get used to the size and weight. I happen to love mine, but really prefer the 37c better when it comes to slants. Everything you are asking is ymmv, but you probably can't go wrong with any of these, if you're a Merkur fan. Besides if it doesn't feel right, these will all sell pretty quickly on the bst (with minimal $ loss), especially the 39c.

This is for the 12C:

1) The neccessity to be extra careful during shaving, if so.

Have used this with Feathers since i rec'd it about a week ago; Feathers plus this razor do require a bit of extra care; hard to measure.

2) The closeness of your shaves in comparison to each other.

Closest shave I've had; similary to my red tip w/feathers, but a bit closer

3) How long does your shave stay very presentable for each one, in hours? In other words, which razors shave stays smooth the longest?

longer than any of my other razors, but haven't timed it

4) How would you rate each razors aggressiveness, using a scale of 1-5?

5) How does each razor do when shaving several days of beard growth? What is the maximum days of growth you can successfully shave with each razor?

haven't tried more than one day's growth;

6) Which blades do you use, and if different blades are used in each, the reasons for doing so.

Feather so far; just happen to be trying Feathers of late

7) What pre-shave, soap, post-shave products do you use with these razors. Don't bother to be exhaustive in your list. I think that the products used in common between these razors is most meaningful, however if there is the need to specifically use a different product for one razor, that is equally important,so please share with us your reasons.

nothing particular to this razor - i now routinely use proraso pre with every shave as part of my pre-shave routine

8) If you happen to use the Futur as well, how would you compare these razors to it? Comparing it with the same questions would be most excellent, but any information would be greatly appreciated.

n/a

9) Anything that you feel should be mentioned about these razors, please do.

so far, my closest shaves; my red tip w/feathers is a little more comfortable, but the 12 C edges it for closeness; comfort may increase as i use the 12 C more

Good luck with your poll!

Last edited:
I got all 3, to answer your questions best I can

1. nothing special on any
2. slant sledgehammer is king, followed by open comb
3. depends on how many passes I did but again I can do less passes with the slant sledgehammer and get as smooth or as close then usually the same number of passes with either of the others
4. regular 3, open comb 3.6, slant sledgehammer 4.
5. this is where the open comb excels but the open comb requires better technique to do so, next would be slant sledgehammer
6. Feathers, Merkurs, Derbys in all if going for BBS in any then usually not Derbys
7. nothing special any of about 60 soaps or creams just whatever I feel like that day
8 no Futur but have a Vision, Vision can be closer but it needs to be used everyday or else, where any of above can be picked up once every month or so and give a great shave with no settings to play with
9. again imho the open comb is almost as aggresive as slant if proper technique used, proper blade angle more important on it then others,

I also have a Mergress which gives has a different head and the shaves are smoother more like a Gillette and I find it's adjustment range not as extreme as the Vision, Mergress very mild to mildly aggressive where as Vision is from one extreme to the other

having tried all the above I know why the 38c or similar is most recommended for newbs, 12c is nice but slant sledgehammer ftw

Of the razors you list, I've used only the 38C. I think it's a fabulous all around shaving tool -- maybe the best there is. On the other hand, I just love to shave with my old Gillette TTO's.

I can only respond to question #8. I have a Futur and a sledgehammer Slant.

I take it you already have a Futur. Crank it up 1 - 1.5 degrees from your usual optimal settings.

Now you have a Slant.

I have the 38C and 39C although I'm still to master the latter.

1. Care is needed with both, I'd say that goes for any DE.
2. 38C has given me a closer shave usually because I've had to stop early using the 39C because of irritation and weepers (although I'd still say it was a presentable result).
3. I haven't noticed much difference between the two but with a morning shave (6am or so) I'm smooth for most of the workday.
4. 38C is about 3, the 39C 4.5.
5. Never have more than 36-48 hours of growth and with that amount I'd want to use a new blade, mostly likely a Feather.
6. I bought the 39C when I was using Feathers routinely and think that really needs a milder blade for someone new to it. The 38C has been used with Feathers and Derby's and both work well, the latter being a bit more forgiving.
7. I use mostly creams and generally vary between Proraso and one of the variety of TOBS I have. Pre-shave consists of the lather left when I've finished conditioning my hair in the shower, post shave a menthol based balm and AS which is usually Old Spice or Brut.
8. I don't have any adjustable razors. Looking at what I'd pay for a Futur I think it's a bit expensive (£50) and adjustability isn't something I'm that fussed about. But the adjustables certainly have their fans here.

Top Bottom