What's new

Wanton destruction

So, can a guy get a PhD in machinistology? Or would that just be an insult to a good machinist? Let's just say I'm impressed by the detailed knowledge and research required to wantonly straighten out a wonky OT thin cap.
Thanks. All you have to do is be foolish enough to get a job as an apprentice machinist. Then be willing to deal with a bunch of grumpy old machinists Telling you constantly what a ******* you are every day.

Then many years later you wake up one morning realizing that you are now one of those grumpy old guys. Then you lean back sipping on some cheap instant coffee trying to figure out what the happened and where did all the time go.

Speaking from 40 years of being a ******* and counting.

By the way I wouldn’t change it for the world.

I would love to see your data on those. I could really use that. I then would not have to rely on my VERY LIMITED experience at fixing old types. 1 to date.
As I said in my PM to you, but for the sake of everyone else, I lost my jigs in the Great Surprise Purge of 2019

My jig was just two scrap pieces of pipe (which I never measured). A buddy used to own a giant shop and I just walked in one day with a NOS thin cap Old Type and found a piece that matched the inside curve of the cap and another that matched the bottom curve of the baseplate. The jigs were validated against more than 20-30 Old Types.

I went low tech to compensate for springback. I used the right diameter jigs and propped up the edges of the cap and baseplate with tape. If one layer wasn't enough, I added a second (or third, ...) until the curvature matched the pipe.

My background is I'm a very hands-on mechanical engineer (37 years) and yes, my nickname was MacGyver. I'm the guy who will get relegated to keep stuff working when it breaks during a zombie apocalypse ;-)

As I said in my PM to you, but for the sake of everyone else, I lost my jigs in the Great Surprise Purge of 2019

My jig was just two scrap pieces of pipe (which I never measured). A buddy used to own a giant shop and I just walked in one day with a NOS thin cap Old Type and found a piece that matched the inside curve of the cap and another that matched the bottom curve of the baseplate. The jigs were validated against more than 20-30 Old Types.

I went low tech to compensate for springback. I used the right diameter jigs and propped up the edges of the cap and baseplate with tape. If one layer wasn't enough, I added a second (or third, ...) until the curvature matched the pipe.

My background is I'm a very hands-on mechanical engineer (37 years) and yes, my nickname was MacGyver. I'm the guy who will get relegated to keep stuff working when it breaks during a zombie apocalypse ;-)
Man I wish I had MacGyver as a nick name. No higher compliant in my book.

Thanks. All you have to do is be foolish enough to get a job as an apprentice machinist. Then be willing to deal with a bunch of grumpy old machinists Telling you constantly what a ******* you are every day.

Then many years later you wake up one morning realizing that you are now one of those grumpy old guys. Then you lean back sipping on some cheap instant coffee trying to figure out what the happened and where did all the time go.

Speaking from 40 years of being a ******* and counting.

By the way I wouldn’t change it for the world.
Sounds like being an electrician, day one you're ready to take on the world, then one day you wake up and you're like **** it that's not my job.

I'm overdue posting here, but I wanted a few shave data points and some decent photos first.

After getting the rare privilege of assisting @PLANofMAN in slantifying my thick cap Old Type (now dubbed sTCOT) and my Tuckaway with a rasty, nasty baseplate (sTuckaway), I have done three side-by-side shave tests.

sTCOT has 3 half shaves, sTuckaway 2, and I threw an ATT S2 (an OC slant) into the mix 1 time.

>First, the sTCOT is the best shaver of these three. Smooth, close, and easy shaves. It is an A1 rated shaver in my books, along with the RR Wunderbar and Fatip Lo Storto OC.

>sTuckaway needs to be used with care. Close shaves, but might bite. I intend to give it a side-by-side versus my PBOCS, which is in a different weight class but requires similar tactics in the den.

>The S2 went down in defeat. It was already a B1 on my list. It features a very asymmetrical blade reveal. I like that it is an original design, not a variation on a classic slant.

I like the way both slantified razors look and function. I'm glad that I had the rough New Improved Tuckaway head. (And another New Improved in my inventory.) I probably would not have slantified a good-looking New Improved. My Cavalier did not go into the die.

Bunches of photos:

A379C61B-C3E8-4179-A8F8-1E6EB7054282.jpeg

82487BE3-6284-428E-BD2D-55EEC855BF34.jpeg

90780C43-8933-43CB-9DE4-CB16898AD4B1.jpeg
EBD1177C-F5F6-422A-98C8-57B36B08C8B1.jpeg
E807F9BF-432B-4D96-948B-714D02F9BB75.jpeg
C7082668-12DD-4999-BA3D-111925CEBDA3.jpeg

173CB47D-A401-474B-9623-3DB5BB9C5CB8.jpeg

sTCOT v ATT S2
7FCB090E-CE8A-4476-ACD3-2FFE81543048.jpeg

5E0B9959-36F6-40D3-A650-E9B9D85EECB0.jpeg

I'm overdue posting here, but I wanted a few shave data points and some decent photos first.

After getting the rare privilege of assisting @PLANofMAN in slantifying my thick cap Old Type (now dubbed sTCOT) and my Tuckaway with a rasty, nasty baseplate (sTuckaway), I have done three side-by-side shave tests.

sTCOT has 3 half shaves, sTuckaway 2, and I threw an ATT S2 (an OC slant) into the mix 1 time.

>First, the sTCOT is the best shaver of these three. Smooth, close, and easy shaves. It is an A1 rated shaver in my books, along with the RR Wunderbar and Fatip Lo Storto OC.

>sTuckaway needs to be used with care. Close shaves, but might bite. I intend to give it a side-by-side versus my PBOCS, which is in a different weight class but requires similar tactics in the den.

>The S2 went down in defeat. It was already a B1 on my list. It features a very asymmetrical blade reveal. I like that it is an original design, not a variation on a classic slant.

I like the way both slantified razors look and function. I'm glad that I had the rough New Improved Tuckaway head. (And another New Improved in my inventory.) I probably would not have slantified a good-looking New Improved. My Cavalier did not go into the die.

Bunches of photos:

View attachment 1145194
View attachment 1145195
View attachment 1145196View attachment 1145197View attachment 1145198View attachment 1145199
View attachment 1145200
sTCOT v ATT S2
View attachment 1145204
View attachment 1145205
I had a lot of fun doing this with you.

Because of the unique challenges offered by the Tuckaway's baseplate, we had to slant each part individually, then use annealing and pressure to hand fit the two sections together. The raised flat baseplate meant that only the edge of the baseplate held the blade to the top cap.

This resulted in fairly loud audible feedback, and a smooth, yet very aggressive feeling shave. (Very similar to either a 1st Gen Shake Sharp or a Devette) I agree with John that the Old Type slant is the better performer out of the two, even if some people would prefer the shave from the Tuckaway. I'm just not one of them.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Here is picture two of that Double Ring. I have cleaned it up a bit, but I’m guessing based on the patina that was up top, the original owner or owner’s son liked the look of the New Improved so much, he decided to grind down the top of the baseplate of this razor to make one. He did a fairly good job of it, but didn’t polish it down (Marks remain) probably because he went a little too far down and it isn’t perfectly square. Shaves ok. At first I thought it was a clone, like a Golf, but members here helped me out, found the worn markings on the handle after cleaning and took measurements of the baseplate.
That was a tough one.

20200903_182541(1).jpg

Might be the nicest one yet. Certainly the closest to the Valencia that inspired it. A bit safer to load too, since the single ring uses the long screw for tightening.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had my first shave with the 1918 Old Type Slant today. I had a bit of trepidation as I raised the razor to my face for the first time. Reminded me of the first time I used a straight razor. Was a trip to urgent care in my future? No... I should say not. The shave was a really smooth ride. And the results we very good. I went in with a steep angle, and had no issues. The results were a solid DFS. Many thanks to @PLANofMAN for the awesome work in these. The only wanton destruction over here was to my facial hairs.

CD5C79B6-19E4-43FC-AC8F-3DEEA364CCCD.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
High five! So did I, and I actually met Gary Gygax at a nerd (oops, I mean Sci-fi/board gaming) convention.

Played in university back in the '70s. One of the guys who orbited that group was Robert Plamondon, another one of the people who did a lot for the game back in the day.

O.H.

Okay, it seems that folks here were having too much fun destroying vintage never to be made forever Gillette razors, and so I thought I would join in. I had Ryan make for me a thin cap and a thick cap OT on two separate occasions. The first one I received was the thin cap (on the right with the Tech Fat Handle). That razor shaved a little rough but was very efficient and showed great potential as a design. I later found a thick cap and sent it to Ryan for destruction and just got it back today (on the right with the ball end handle). I shaved with it tonight and it was definitely a milder shave from the thin cap, however it was also not as efficient. The second pass, however, cleaned up all of the whiskers that was left behind from the first pass and so both razors ended up equal after two passes and touch up, which was a BBS.

DSC03392.JPG

DSC03394.JPG

DSC03391.JPG

Great stuff! If Gillette had done this back then, I don't think the US would ever have had any interest in all of the European slants. For those still thinking about it, find an OT and get it slanted.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
To be fair, the 1918 head I sent for wanton destruction was a rough user grade head with a completely wrecked handle. So it's in much better shaving condition post destruction. Added a generic stainless bulldog handle, and now I have a great shaving razor now. We saved it! Yay us! 😁😎

Earlier I posted a picture of a "user grade" slanted single ring. When I loaded a blade to use it, I noticed that the top cap had to be held in place to center the blade during loading. Curious, I investigated further.

What happened next will amaze you!

I kid, I kid!
comica1599275009603.png

The thing about being a vintage razor collector is that we seldom see or really handle a truly "user grade" razor. As a collector I looked for nice examples, near mint, or I looked for uncleaned razors and hoped a diamond in the rough was waiting under the soap scum. And it usually was.

I've seen razors that were used hard and put away wet, I've seen razors that were neglected, left in a shower until the blade rusted away. But I've never seen a razor with so many genuine, possibly multi-generational, shaves under it's metaphorical belt.

It's the first time I've held a razor and been forcefully reminded that this razor was used, not 'owned,' used on a daily basis during WW1 and probably during WW2. It may have been used the morning JFK was assassinated, or the day Americans set foot on the moon. It might have even been in use when the twin towers fell. The stories this razor could probably tell...

It's a fine shaver too.

This Wanton Destruction cap, with a Gillette Silver Blue under it, just left me wanting more. So smooth! Torqued by @twhite will be in heavy rotation for the rest of Slantember. And beyond.
0D05976B-42F8-42C2-9A7E-1565AA6F3EAF.jpeg

My most recent use of my wantonly destroyed New Improved sTuckaway razor head required more attention to detail, but gave me a very close result. Here is what I said last Friday:

"This baby took a nice direct route to very, very close (aka BBS) after my two edge test SRs left plenty undone. As an aggressive regular shaver (maybe not daily driver) it is winning by a length over my PBOCS and leaving yesterday's Yaqi slant in the dust."

The destruction of this head produced a very smooth and even torque once @PLANofMAN gave it the finishing touches. I am so glad I had this extreme user grade New Deluxe head. Looks nice with that @Rosseforp machined SS handle.
2FBE8AC4-19F6-4FF8-87E3-8FA525BC60A2.jpeg

This Wanton Destruction cap, with a Gillette Silver Blue under it, just left me wanting more. So smooth! Torqued by @twhite will be in heavy rotation for the rest of Slantember. And beyond.
View attachment 1155510

My most recent use of my wantonly destroyed New Improved sTuckaway razor head required more attention to detail, but gave me a very close result. Here is what I said last Friday:

"This baby took a nice direct route to very, very close (aka BBS) after my two edge test SRs left plenty undone. As an aggressive regular shaver (maybe not daily driver) it is winning by a length over my PBOCS and leaving yesterday's Yaqi slant in the dust."

The destruction of this head produced a very smooth and even torque once @PLANofMAN gave it the finishing touches. I am so glad I had this extreme user grade New Deluxe head. Looks nice with that @Rosseforp machined SS handle.
View attachment 1155512
Glad you like my Torqued.

comica1600346251686.png

With some very slight modifications to the original jig, I've worked out how to slantify brass Gillette Techs, preserving perfectly the original geometry, only adding the torsion twist.

This is a massive tribute to the original jig design by @twhite . If the die had been made any other way, it would not have worked with the Tech.

Edit: I've yet to find a "replica" or "modern" non-Gillette branded tech style razor that can be slanted. The material is too flimsy.

Top Bottom