What's new

Wanting to acquire a few more DE razors

Before Christmas. Will be entering the sabbatical and would like a few more razors besides my Gillette Red Tip and OB Genesis. I love the red tip, but am wondering if there are smoother shavers out there. I usually paid it with an ASTRA SP or GSB and while it shaves great I’m just curious if there are better razors out there. I hardly ever nick myself with it, but sometimes it makes me wonder if a tech or slim would better suit me for days I want variety or something less aggressive. I will probably also order a General V2 between now and then just to satisfy my SE fix. Just curious of some opinions as after about a year or two with the OB, have went back to almost exclusively the Red Tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue tip is less aggressive, but otherwise the same razor. I have a both a Slim and a Fatboy (among many others)--I'd highly recommend either of those if you want another vintage razor.

The blue tip is less aggressive, but otherwise the same razor. I have a both a Slim and a Fatboy (among many others)--I'd highly recommend either of those if you want another vintage razor.

How would you rate the slim vs the FB vs the red tip? While I love the slim I usually only use it on a few days growth due to it being a little on the aggressive side for my sensitive skin.

General just came out with a DE that seems to be a comfortable shaver based on reviews, so you might want to look at that if you're looking at the General SE. The Rex Envoy also just came out. It's based on setting 3 of the Ambassador, so it should be fairly mild. I'm not sure about compared to a Red Tip though since I've never used one.

I would suggest the Slim Adjustable. It's one of the best razors I have used. It's got a good weight to it and it's so smooth. Most of the settings work well for me but I choose to stick with 4-5 for mild to medium aggression.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Gillette Tech is always a good choice. Easy to find and usually at a good price. I prefer the fat handle, but as always YMMV. The red tip is the most aggressive of the super speeds, you might try a standard flare tip or the older SS. All great shavers. I love my Slims and FB's also, just thought I'd offer a bit more variety to the suggestion pool. Of course there is the Schick Krona if you don't mind straying from Gillette.

How would you rate the slim vs the FB vs the red tip? While I love the slim I usually only use it on a few days growth due to it being a little on the aggressive side for my sensitive skin.
I usually keep the Slim and FB both at 4 for daily shaves. I put the Slim on 3 for a while and found it very mild--good for the day after I used something aggressive. To me, the Slim and FB are almost identical, but I give a slight not to the Slim because I tend to like lighter razors. I have a red tip and find it a bit too aggressive; maybe the equivalent of a 6 or 7 on the adjustable razors.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Lots of choices it seems and maybe a slim is in my near future along with the Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look around for a vintage Leresche DE, you won't be disappointed. You can find them in the French bay, you just have to be patient and not pay the exorbitant shipping that most EU Ebay shippers demand.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Lots of choices it seems and maybe a slim is in my near future along with the Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't go wrong with a Tech (especially the pre-war and post-war Fat Handle and 1950s Ball Handle) and a Slim. :)

The Red Tip is one of my favorites. I like it better than the Fat Boy or Slim, which I usually set on 5. After I got a Red Tip my adjustables were rarely used.
The one razor I found I like better than the Red Tip is the NEW SC.
It's not as heavy, but is one heck of a smooth efficient razor, especially with a ball-end handle. Since you like the Red Tip, you may want to try one. You may also want to consider a regular silver tip superspeed from the same era as the Red Tip or as others have suggested, a Tech or Krona. Although I think the Blue Tip is one of the best looking razors Gillette ever made it just wasn't for me. Way too mild. Another good choice would be one of the "48 49 50" superspeeds that were pre-flare tip. I prefer those to the silver flare tip models

Last edited:
I don't have a red tip to compare to, but I do have to say I love my Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Slim, Gillette New SC, Gillette New LC, Gillette Triangle Slot Tech, Gillette Oval Slot Tech, and Gillette Old Type. So, far I don't own a Gillette I don't like! But since you might want variety the adjustables or open combs will offer that compared to the red tip.

All of the above razor selections are sound & if you are patient enough, you can find one for the price you want to pay on E-Bay or Etsy.
Add to your list the 1940's model Super Speed. I have several & they always give me a 12 hour shave with a variety of blades.

Top Bottom