What's new

Wanting a NICE DE razor.

So, I'm wanting to buy a really nice DE razor for myself for Christmas. I'm looking to spend between 75.00 - 100.00... Anyone know of a great DE razor and what websites to go to? I have been looking at PAA website. I'm also wanting a better brush, more soap pucks, oils and aftershave balms and after shaves.

I use vintage Gillette DE's and my most expensive is still probably sub $25.00. No clue what is even available in that price range.

If you want a single modern razor, I'd recommend a Rockwell 6S. If you want vintage, I'd recommend a NEW, OLD, and a slim :).

As for a soap, I really like Tabac or Cognac and Cuban Cigars.

What razor do you have now? What brush?

Maggard and West Coast and Shaving ie are all good.

Understand, what works for me may not work for Fred or Joe. Fred may like huge brushes. Joe may be a horse fanboy. And we all sometimes fall out of love.

Consider the Rockwell. Great razor. But I think the head clunky and do not like the handle. Might be perfect for you. Or not.

Go slow.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Second the vote for the Rockwell 6s
Bump up the budget? Go for a timeless razor. (Christmas comes but once a tear ;). )

Timeless Bronze at$120 slightly over your budget. TurnNShave on Etsy has some very nice affordable synthetic brushes. I’m a proraso soap guy

You can buy yourself a very nice vintage NEW, a very nice brush, a tub of soap and a bottle of aftershave all combined for under $100.

If you want a new razor, look at a Schone razor. Brand new for under thirty dollars, and you can still buy a new brush and other goodies for under your hundred dollar mark.
If you want to drop the whole C-note on just the razor, I think the only thing in that field right now is the Rockwell, or kick in another twenty for the Timeless Bronze.

If you go vintage I’d say a NEW, a nice user grade Fatboy or if you can find a Gibbs Adjustable they are awesome shavers.

Modern I’d have to agree with a Rockwell 6c or S, Fine just came out with an Aristocrat clone and if you want to kick your budget up a bit you can look at getting a Timeless Bronze, A Mergress/Progress or Aluminum Wolfman Guerrilla OC for between $110 - $140.
Also Stirling, Razorock and Maggards have some nice synthetic brush’s for under $20.
Soap I’d start with Proraso, Stirling and maybe Razorock as they all have a good selection and are priced under $15.00
Good hunting!

What razor do you have now? What brush?

Maggard and West Coast and Shaving ie are all good.

Understand, what works for me may not work for Fred or Joe. Fred may like huge brushes. Joe may be a horse fanboy. And we all sometimes fall out of love.

Consider the Rockwell. Great razor. But I think the head clunky and do not like the handle. Might be perfect for you. Or not.

Go slow.
Right now since I'm still a newbie ( and don't know better), i'm using a bigfoot shaves butterfly open DE razor, a VanderHaggen boar brush ( which sheds hair A LOT). I'm looking to expand with better equipment.

What do you like/dislike about your current TTO? Too heavy, too light, too aggressive, too mild, poor balance. It's probably easier for us, and better for you, if we can try to point you toward some razor choices you might find an improvement instead of just trying to help you spend a set amount. Also, do you mind using previously owned/used razors. There are lots of choices (both inexpensive & EXPENSIVE) in the vintage realm, but some people only want modern.

As far as brushes go, do you like the boar (other than the fact that it's shedding)? If so, Omega & Semogue both make quality boar brushes in a range of sizes and handle styles for reasonable prices.

Before going out and spending big bucks based on other folks' opinion, you might want to try different families of razors.

Right now you have a TTO, perhaps try a 3-piece razor (has a flatter head profile making it easier under the nose), there are also open combs worth trying, lighter/heavier razors, and on and on. Many dealers sell inexpensive razor heads separately from the handles that will allow you to try a bunch of styles helping you make a better decision as to what you will end up liking.

+1. While you can't go wrong with a Timeless (even if you don't like them they still look great in the bathroom) I'd ease into it and give yourself time to find out what you like. Razors range from so mild you couldn't cut yourself if you tried to keep a tourniquet on hand. There are many choices on Amazon and elsewhere by Merkur, Edwin Jager, and Parker, to name a few, in the $30 range. Find one you might think you like and post some questions here if you're not sure.

You're in luck for brushes because there is nowhere to go but up from what you have now. I'd start with a synthetic for less than $20.

For software, Maggard's is the place to go for a wide variety of sample sizes of soaps and aftershaves. Scents are a personal thing so spending some dough on samples is a good way to get started.

Come to think of it, the Merkur Progress is a classic adjustable razor that will allow you to determine just how aggressive you want to go. That goes also for the aforementioned Rockwell.

Lots of moving parts here!

I suggest you focus on one piece of kit at a time to really establish what sort works best. If this were me, I would start with a good 'standard' (and well below your budget) razor, either modern (Merkur 34HD) or older razor (Slim). Then I would work on getting optimal results, try various blades, etc. You might (or might not) move on, but you would have a better base line on your preferences. Just my $0.02!

I realise you're probably looking at something a bit more premium, but I'd suggest the Parker 24C (or another Parker OC, the head should be the same on all of them - Maggard's OC v2 head is also the same and you get more handle choices) if you haven't tried an OC before.
While Timeless razors are really nice, if you'd rather stay within the budget, I'd suggest iKon razors - Shavecraft 103, 101 and SBC are all nice, plus the SBC is has a flippable base place for different efficiency and aggression levels. They are made of aluminium, though, so maybe not quite as durable as steel razors, but I've not had issues with mine and any issues I'd heard of were due to people overtightening or dropping their razors.
RazoRock Mamba is also very nice, mild and efficient, though it might be a while before it's available again.
Rocnel razors are also nice. I only have three of them, the SE-P CC, SE-P OC and DE42 and they're all nice, although the first too nicer than the DE42. These three are a bit quirky, yet very pleasant shavers.

I find open combs more versatile, or rather, less fussy with long growth.

It would help a lot if you'd share your preferences, though.

If you like mild with no blade feel and perfer DFS over BBS for comfort than the Timeless Bronze is a great choice, it’s really a beautiful looking razor and a great daily driver.

Rockwell 6S would be another great choice as it has 6 different aggressiveness, although not as nice looking as the Timeless Bronze.

Modern, Rockwell 6s, Ikon 101 or X3(slant) come to mind. If you max your buck, the Schone OC at $24 or Mingshi at under $10, or both... Then buy a nice brush and soap.

Vintage, a nice Aristocrat, New SC or LC, Slim, Fatboy, or Super Adjustable..... Some of the Gillette are wonderful shavers. Used my Fatboy this morning.

If it's one razor, and you want to spend around $100, the Rockwell. It's stainless, very efficient, and very comfortable. Lower plates are fool proof, nearly impossible to cut yourself.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
For $75, I’d give serious thought to buying a trusted Merkur 34HD, a quality, low-priced Stirling brush and a few pucks of artisan soaps. Then, when your technique is perfected, you can jump down the rabbit hole (if you’re so inclined).

Top Bottom