What's new

Wanting a new coffee maker

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A pourover is pretty versatile and flexible, and easy to clean. I would lean toward a glass or porcelain model if it will be your primary brew. Then again, in stainless steel there are some that do not need paper filters, such as this one. Amazon.com: Professional Pour Over Coffee Brewer I Stainless Steel Coffee Dripper I Paperless, Fits Carafes, Cups and Mugs, Reusable Double Filter with Center Drip by The Elan Collective - 1-4 cups: Kitchen & Dining. Paper filters absorb a lot of the oil in coffee, which you might or might not like. Beware... some pourovers use special filters. For cheap, the Melitta "Ready Set Joe" is only a couple bucks. I have one and have used it with very satisfactory results. Some folks favor the type that uses the basket style filter, and very likely you get a better brew from that type. The Kalita Wave, which I have never used, looks good. This: Walkure Karlsbad Porcelain Pour Over Brewer | Prima Coffee is a little expensive, but I thought about getting one for myself. It is reminescent of the old Creole style drip pots we used to see a lot of in South Louisiana homes. The old ones were porcelain coated steel or iron. I never saw one that wasn't chipped, and I think that was one reason that they are not still around and in use as much any more. The filter basket also had pretty big holes, and you got a lot of fines and not so fines in the bottom of the pot, requiring careful pouring. Made a great cafe au lait though. This modern takeoff looks like it has a more sophisticated filter stage, though. And as for the old ones, you can still find one on fleabay. You may want to use a paper filter though. We used to use paper towels. I know... yuck, right? Different brands were less bad than others. This type is often called a "biggin" so use that as a search word if you want a vintage/antique one. They are kinda classy, and traditional.

This type of aluminum drip pot was common on shrimp boats when I was growing up. You can find similar in stainless steel, these days. This one Stainless Steel Drip Coffee Maker, 4 pc. Surgical Stainless Steel is a bit overpriced, but a good search will find others, I am sure.

There is also a Vietnamese style pourover with a flat bottom that can be used with or without a paper filter. Can be used for tea, as well, if you pre wet the tea before pouring the main part of the hot water. You can find them in most Asian groceries and they are only a couple of bucks.

I gotta say, though, I much prefer my superautomatic Delonghi, for myself. I have the compact model. Makes a great cappuccino. Push a button and froth the milk. Push a button to grind and brew. Easy Sneezy.

Stay away from Krupps. Good back in the day but I went through one at home in 6 months and the one at the lake lasted 1 year. Even worse is when I can't tied them they wanted me to take them to a repair facility 60 miles away...really.

Here is a shocker, basic drip old school Mr Coffee from WalMart and score a bag of Peets Major Dickerson Dark Roast brew that up and I'll guarantee you'll be loving life ASAP.

All the extra I paid for and tried it but unless you're doing an Italian Mota Bela serious cafe steamed
Cafe Au Lait at home, overkill is an understatement.

If I were to buy a machine it would be a Technivorm. However, I prefer pour over because I can control the heat and the pour. I do it in one of those 20 oz. Yeti mugs and the coffee can stay hot for a few hours (I'm a sipper and get distracted). You can get one of those Yetis as big as 30 oz. and brew into that and then serve into smaller mugs if there's more than one drinking.

Aeropress. You won't regret it.
+1 ...there is a slight learning curve involved to get the timing and ratios right, but once you learn how to work it you'll be set for a quick single when er you need it.

Setup before and Cleanup after is quick and easy. And it stores away in a drawer so it doesn't hog counterspace.

When you order it from Amazon, spend the extra $2 so you get the carrying case with it, to keep all the parts together. And it's compact enough to take with you on a weekend trip, or keep one in your desk at work.

You can reuse the grounds for a second or third cup so both of you can enjoy a single, as lon as you dont let it sit for too long.

+1 ...there is a slight learning curve involved to get the timing and ratios right, but once you learn how to work it you'll be set for a quick single when er you need it.

I have a very simple method: Start with whole bean coffee, two scoops, fine grind, add water ~200 degrees. Stir for 10 seconds, plunge, enjoy with no cream or sugar. The only other thing I changed is two filters instead of one.

Top Bottom