What's new

Wanting a new coffee maker

So sometime last year I posted my wife and I coffee making routine and thanks to the awesome advice by the fellow coffee drinkers back here we were rewarded with better tasting cups o joe. Since that thread we have added a french press that we enjoy using on the weekend, really makes a nice cup of coffee. However on the counter we have two makers, a Keurig and a Mr Coffee drip maker.

We are still weighing out our beans and grinding fresh each morning thanks to the advice here and our coffee is very consistent day to day which is what I like. Here's the problem the Keurig is officially dying. I have given it a few really good cleaning treatments but it just isn't working well anylonger. The Mr. Coffee is still working well and I now clean it about once a month just to keep everything in good working order.

Here's the problem we both like the occasional single cup that can be made with the Keurig we don't want to lose that ability. But we would also like more counter space and to no longer have to makers hogging space. So I know there are some machines that will allow you to brew a single cup or a pot. Do you all have any recommendations? Our budget I would like to keep at $120 or less.

The Ninja coffee bar sounds like it may fit your needs. It does single serve cups, but not with K-cup pods. I see this as a plus because then you can still use your favorite coffees. It also will do a full carafe and has a bunch of different settings for brew type/strength. They make a few models at different prices depending on how many fancy features you need. I got one for my mom for her birthday a few months ago and now I no longer see the Keurig on the counter when I visit.

I use my 3 cup Chemex frequently when I do not want to brew a pot.

They call it a 3 cup but it makes 2 "american" size cups.

It is hard to beat the taste of coffee made in a Chemex too

proxy.php

proxy.php

I use my 3 cup Chemex frequently when I do not want to brew a pot.

They call it a 3 cup but it makes 2 "american" size cups.

It is hard to beat the taste of coffee made in a Chemex too

proxy.php

proxy.php

Perhaps I should clarify. We are looking for something to replace our Keurig and are drip coffee maker. So we don't have to have two units on the counter. A item that does both seems great.

The Ninja as mentioned above might fit the bill, I have seen them before... I will need to do more research.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My SO does not drink coffee and I usually only have one cup in the morning. Like you I didn't want something taking up a bunch of counter space and after some research I settled on the Hario V60. It's small, takes up no counter space, & I use it right over my coffee mug to brew a single cup.

It can also brew multiple cups at once if you need it to

Personally, I think coffee "machines" are a pain, get dirty, and take up too much space. I really like the V60.

I do not have any specific advice on choosing a drip machine that meets your needs. Surely some brewers must work well enough even if the ideal design (in terms of the shower head pattern and filter basket size) for making a big pot of coffee will differ from making a single cup. If you were willing to keep the Mr. Coffee for making coffee by the pot, I would consider adding a small pour-over or Aeropress for single cup brewing...except that approach requires another source to heat water so it may not simplify things enough for you.

Alternatively you could get a small and large pour-over and use them to replace both machines. Brewing by the cup or by the pot (thermos) and freeing up even more counter space. Though the extra 3-4 minutes of time required beyond getting hot water may be too much to spare on a busy morning. A single cup Aeropress will be faster but it still an extra minute of time out of your morning.

If you are looking for a single cup drip machine, I have bought affordable and I have bought expensive. The best experiences I've had is, time and time again, with Black & Decker brand.

Do you and your wife enjoy Espresso? My wife and I have a small machine on our counter that takes less space than a typical drip machine.

Do you and your wife enjoy Espresso?

We drink the occasional espresso but not regularly. I guess you could say we are basic coffee drinkers. A nice pot of black coffee on a saturday morning is the best way to get the day started, then a second pot to ensure it stay great! So the ability to make a pot on the weekends is definitely ideal.

Have you look into cold brew contract..I've seen it in some stores..You can make as many cups as you would like..Down side you don't get the single origin coffee in them..Unless you make the cold brew yourself..Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee Recipe

Cold brew coffee

Labor Day weekend is coming up and it’s one of our last chances to get down to the shore (or “down the shore,” as we say in Philly). For the last beach trip of the summer, you’ll want to make an epic, awesome cold brew to bring. We started one this morning and thought we’d share some tips!

1. Pick your coffee. We grabbed our Colombian San Roque. With notes of chocolate and cherry cola, we’ve been dying to try this as a cold brew. Whatever coffee you use, grind it pretty course, like sea salt.
  1. Next we grabbed a couple of large Ball jars. You can cold brew in a French press too, but in a pinch, pretty much any containers will work. Fill up one of the jars with 700 grams of water.
  1. Pour 100 grams of coffee into the other jar. We’re using a 7:1 water to coffee ratio here, but play around with the ratio to figure out your own taste! Some of our coffee crew likes to do their cold brew at 5:1. 3cups of water at 7/1
  1. Pour the water into the jar with the coffee, making sure all the grounds get wet. Now it’s time to let the brew hang out. No need to stir it or refrigerate it, just cover the jar, leave it on your counter, and go to work.
  1. After 12-16 hours, it’s time to filter that baby! Take a filter (we used a Chemex filter but you can use thick cloth, cheese cloth, etc.) and attach it to the top of the empty jar. Pour the brew through the filter slowly. You might have to stop and unclog or change your filter.
Then pop that thing in the fridge and let it chill! Start it tonight and you’ll have a delicious Colombian cold brew to last you the long weekend.

*Pro Tip: Do a hot bloom! Pour 200 grams of almost-boiling water over the grounds first to let the coffee get a head start on extracting, then pour in 500 grams of cold water and let it brew for 12 hours

Last edited:
I know, I know, this is blowing your budget big time - not what you asked for.

I haven't found anything that can touch Technivorm Moccamaster drip machines. I don't think that filter basket should be plastic at that price range and pouring design is a bit funky, but it makes excellent coffee (for a drip coffee that is) :D.

If you can find one with a bit of discount somewhere, might be worth blowing your budget.

I haven't found anything that can touch Technivorm Moccamaster drip machines. I don't think that filter basket should be plastic at that price range and pouring design is a bit funky, but it makes excellent coffee (for a drip coffee that is) :D.

If you can find one with a bit of discount somewhere, might be worth blowing your budget.

Oh, I agree with you! These machines are really good, however they aren't very cheap so yeah, discount in this case would be great :001_smile I also recommend to look through this list on Cozzy for example, there are many nice models and almost all of them are cheap :001_smile Personally I have such Continantal Electric one, it's really good as for my tastes :001_tongu

proxy.php

French press can be a good decision too, I saw really many positive reviews about them :001_rolle And of course you can just buy a new Keurig machine if you liked your old one :001_smile

Here's the problem we both like the occasional single cup that can be made with the Keurig we don't want to lose that ability. But we would also like more counter space and to no longer have to makers hogging space.
for home:
Amazon.com | Osaka Pour-Over Coffee With Mug Set - A Perfectly Brewed Coffee Wherever You Go, Great For Travel "Atsuta Shrine" (Black): Coffee Cups & Mugs

for travel:
Amazon.com: Osaka Coffee Pour-Over Dripper With Built-In Travel Thermos - Enjoy Freshly Brewed Coffee Wherever You Go "Meiji Shrine" (Black): Kitchen & Dining

for a regular drip coffee machine i will go with Technivorm Moccamaster (with a thermal carafe) or, almost as good for less than 1/2 price, Bonavita
I don't have the Bonavita but my technivarm is 15 years old - maybe more - and i replace once the grind basket lid, $15 from SweetMaria.com, just because my wife broke it.
On weekends, many times we use a Chemex..

Last edited:
Another vote for AeroPress. Short money, easy cleanup. If I have company, I can push out 4 cups in short order. Also it is easy to control how strong/light each cup will be.

I ditched my Bunn coffeemaker years ago and have been using the Aeropress and a french press ever since. The Aeropress may take a tad bit longer than a coffeemaker, but it is cheap and the coffee tastes better IMO.

I used to use a Keurig and a drip machine. I had a french press sitting in a cabinet that never saw the light of day. Until I started thinking about coffee a little more. I researched home espresso machines and was going to go with a Lelit PL62T Mara machine until I reconsidered the cost. It was then that I remembered the Bodum french press sitting there. Bought a Bodum manual frother and a Baratza Virtuoso to grind for french press and haven't looked back. Sure, it's not espresso but I can make an incredible cafe au last at a fraction of the cost. One day I'll have the espresso machine. But until then, I'm very happy.

Moka pot will make a passable cafe-au-lait.

There's even a version that froths the milk before brewing. It's called a Bialetti Mukka Maculata

proxy.php

Moka pot will make a passable cafe-au-lait.

There's even a version that froths the milk before brewing. It's called a Bialetti Mukka Maculata

proxy.php

Someone gave us a Bialetti Mukka Maculate that is sitting in a kitchen cabinet unused. I may have to break it out and see how it works. But I'm really happy with the coffee I get from my french press. I have the grinder dialed in and it produces very little fines. Just woke up and doing a few things online before heading downstairs to make my morning coffee.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

Agree on this back when I got mine it had the highest marks from cooks illustrated. Because it brews at the "perfect" temp for drip its not "hot" for very long after brewing. So there's that and not sure it fits your budget but worth looking at.

Top Bottom