What's new

Wanted: suggestions for DOC razor heads similar to Razorock sloc, but without exposed blade tabs

I own a 34c, r89, RR GC .84, RR Lupo aluminum, and a RR sloc (chrome). The sloc gives me by far the smoothest and closest shave of them all, and I like the DOC style, because I buff a lot as I go. However, the large amount of blade tab exposure on the sloc will catch me every so often, so I'm looking for a head that shaves similarly, but covers more or all of the tabs.

I use Rapira Swedish Steel razors the most, but my backups are Nacets or 7 O'clock yellows.

...this is also just an excuse for me to buy another razor.

I've read in multiple places that their combs tips are too sharp and make for a scratchy experience.
Not if you're using them at all correctly. I have the copper & stainless Ascensions, and it is possible that the aluminum version is more sharply finished, but it would be a bit of a surprise.

Because of the exaggeratedly curved head, you draw them with the handle almost parallel to your face, which takes some adjusting to. They are modestly adjustable, from low-medium aggressive to lots of blade out there.

As with anything, YMMV, but I have never found them sharp of comb.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You have to use a shallow angle with the PAA Ascension DOC. The Ascension Open Comb does not lend itself to a steep angle.

You have to use a shallow angle with the PAA Ascension DOC. The Ascension Open Comb does not lend itself to a steep angle.
Sorry my friend I would respectfully disagree with this statement as using the DOC Ascension steep not only works but results in a BBS that lasts over 12 hours. DFS over 24hrs

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sorry my friend I would respectfully disagree with this statement as using the DOC Ascension steep not only works but results in a BBS that lasts over 12 hours. DFS over 24hrs
That rascal "YMMV" strikes again. ;)

My preferred angle is steep and the Copper Ascension DOC I have preferred a shallower angle than I normally use. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you like the RR SLOC, Yaqi just came out with their new DOC 316 Melon head. I'm not sure how aggressive it is but the blade tabs are covered and I'm thinking about it also. The SLOC and Yaqi Mellon head are identical in the Zamac version. The Yaqi stainless steel head DOC version has not had a lot of reviews yet but looks great.
1676175843007.png

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I own a 34c, r89, RR GC .84, RR Lupo aluminum, and a RR sloc (chrome). The sloc gives me by far the smoothest and closest shave of them all, and I like the DOC style, because I buff a lot as I go. However, the large amount of blade tab exposure on the sloc will catch me every so often, so I'm looking for a head that shaves similarly, but covers more or all of the tabs.

I use Rapira Swedish Steel razors the most, but my backups are Nacets or 7 O'clock yellows.

...this is also just an excuse for me to buy another razor.

You could always get a Mühle R41 and put a SLOC cap in place of the R41 stock cap. :)

20230206_114335~3.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
If you like the RR SLOC, Yaqi just came out with their new DOC 316 Melon head. I'm not sure how aggressive it is but the blade tabs are covered and I'm thinking about it also. The SLOC and Yaqi Mellon head are identical in the Zamac version. The Yaqi stainless steel head DOC version has not had a lot of reviews yet but looks great.
I was about to say that the SLOC and the Mellon head have blade tabs, so the steel version doesn't? Small but at least for me interesting change. It is supposedly a very mild razor, isn't it? That held me back so far.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was about to say that the SLOC and the Mellon head have blade tabs, so the steel version doesn't? Small but at least for me interesting change. It is supposedly a very mild razor, isn't it? That held me back so far.
I have a suspicion that they may slightly of increased aggression possibly looking at the photo below but not sure, but what is a known no blade tab exposure this is indicating. They have not sold a lot of them as of yet because the Yaqi SS DOC Melon head is new product introduced.
You will have to go to their site and check it out on reviews. The Yaqi photo's do not have a blade in any of their promotional ones. So you have to rely on customers opinions and performance they claim in what really counts at the end of the shave they have experienced IMO.
Yaqi Mellon head Stainless steel head. (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a suspicion that they may slightly of increased aggression possibly looking at the photo below but not sure, but what is a known no blade tab exposure this is indicating. They have not sold a lot of them as of yet because the Yaqi SS DOC Melon head is new product introduced.
You will have to go to their site and check it out on reviews. The Yaqi photo's do not have a blade in any of their promotional ones. So you have to rely on customers opinions and performance they claim in what really counts at the end of the shave they have experienced IMO.
View attachment 1604861
Have some great shaves!

This is Muhle R41 with Yaqi Beast top cap. Haven't tried it yet but will do it soon.
View attachment 1605030View attachment 1605029
I use the SLOC cap on my R41 Rosegold.
20230206_114335~3.jpg

I only used my Copper Ascension once but I do know the coating adds a very small amount to it's dimensions. Confirmed when using my Stainless steel Ascension top or bottom cap in an attempt to make a bimetallic Ascension. They are not compatible due to the coating thickness.

Top Bottom