What's new

Want to upgrade from a Merkur 34c

Hi, my issue is that I have been shaving with a Merkur 34c for 10 years quite happily until I recently bought a travel razor that gives me a noticeably closer shave, and this has got me thinking I can do a little better. If you google "more aggressive razor" all roads seem to lead to the Muhle R41, but I am a little nervous of it, particularly as even the most positive reviews read along the lines of "This is a great razor so long as you don't lose concentrarion for even a second". Also, I am looking for a razor to use every day, rather than have in any kind of rotation.

With all that in mind, I am currently leaning towards a Merkur 37c slant, but am vey open to suggestions. Any ideas?

You are correct. The Merkur 37C would be a good and logical second razor after the Merkur 34C. That's exactly what I did over 10 years ago when I got into razors and shaving as a hobby. I bought them at the same time, and have never regretted it.

Another option is to put 2 shims under the blade of your 34C. It increases the aggression nicely.

I went from a 34C to a Merkur Progress.

After more than a year of the Progress I went back to my 34C. When using the Progress on a setting that made it slightly more aggressive than the 34C (2), I would occasionally get bit by it.

That's when I realized, more aggressive isn't necessarily better.

The R41 is a wonderful razor. With 10 years of DE shaving experience, you will not have any issues using it. I bought one after 4 years of using a EJ89 and now it's my daily razor.

The R41 is a wonderful razor. With 10 years of DE shaving experience, you will not have any issues using it. I bought one after 4 years of using a EJ89 and now it's my daily razor.
Interesting ... I am certainly intrigued by the R41, but reactions to it by users seem somewhat polarised, with most loving it but a significant minority absolutely hating it, which is giving me pause.

Perhaps an adjustable?

Some of my favorites are:
-Rockwell 6s or 6c (swappable plates)
-Parker Variant
-Gillette Slim or Fatboy
-Karve with different base plates

I went from a 34C to a Merkur Progress.

After more than a year of the Progress I went back to my 34C. When using the Progress on a setting that made it slightly more aggressive than the 34C (2), I would occasionally get bit by it.

That's when I realized, more aggressive isn't necessarily better.

Thanks, I did consider a Progress, but live in a hard water area and thought keeping it clean could be an issue. It's certainly true that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Hi, my issue is that I have been shaving with a Merkur 34c for 10 years quite happily until I recently bought a travel razor that gives me a noticeably closer shave, and this has got me thinking I can do a little better.
I am thinking maybe a simple blade change will get you there or even a slight adjustment in technique. There is no reason why the Merkur 34C cannot deliver close shaves.

Hi, my issue is that I have been shaving with a Merkur 34c for 10 years quite happily until I recently bought a travel razor that gives me a noticeably closer shave, and this has got me thinking I can do a little better. If you google "more aggressive razor" all roads seem to lead to the Muhle R41, but I am a little nervous of it, particularly as even the most positive reviews read along the lines of "This is a great razor so long as you don't lose concentrarion for even a second". Also, I am looking for a razor to use every day, rather than have in any kind of rotation.

With all that in mind, I am currently leaning towards a Merkur 37c slant, but am vey open to suggestions. Any ideas?

My Daily Razor is a 34c. (I have LC's, Slims, Techs, Qshaves etc..) The 34C gives me the best, most comfortable shaves of all of them. Recently, I received a Muhle R89. It is very much a 3-piece version of the 34c.
After a week of using It, I found the R89 more agressive and to have more blade feel. I've gone back to the 34C as I shave daily and my technique which is suited to the 34c was getting me nicks and cuts with the R89.
The nicks are my fault. I just need to use the R89 more.

So, that said, I recommended you try the R89. It is a step up from the 34C but not as far as the R41!

I will look into these, thanks.
Good idea. Also, when experimenting with different settings on the adjustables, don't assume you can pick the best one after just one shave. I like to shave at least a full month with anything before I reach a final decision.

I like my 34C, and could be happy using it every day. I like the EJ DE89 a little more, as it gives me slightly smoother shaves. I am not a fan of the R41. It's so aggressive it's uncomfortable for me. I feel like I'm holding a blade in my fingers and shaving away with it.

I agree with the above posters who suggest an adjustable. The Progress is very similar to the 34c when you set it on a mild setting, but you can move it up a click or two and get a more efficient shave. I haven't tried the Parker Variant, but many who have consider it similar - but a step up in quality - from the Progress. Then there are the vintage Gillettes. You can get a Slim in good shaving shape for around $20, which is the bargain of bargains. It's a wonderful razor.

I wouldn't worry much about your hard water. If you get an accumulation of soap scum on your razor, you can always use a little white vinegar and an old toothbrush and shine it up like new.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Having tried numerous DE Razors I have yet to encounter anything I consider a true upgrade from the 34C. It’s a great razor. Do I have other razors I simply enjoy more? Sure, vintages and high end modern Razors with cool finishes. Do they perform better? Nah. Just different.

I went from a 34C to an R41, and I think you would be fine doing that given your experience. With the R41, I get such a close shave that I only shave every other day when I am using it.

I have also used a 34c for a decade but I feel no need to "upgrade". Only thing I have changed recently was buying a shavette to see if I want to get into straights, which I might do if I can find a way to do it frugally.

Perhaps an adjustable?

Some of my favorites are:
-Rockwell 6s or 6c (swappable plates)
-Parker Variant
-Gillette Slim or Fatboy
-Karve with different base plates

+1 for either a Gillette adjustable (I am partial to the Slim), or the Parker Variant.

Shaved with my Variant this morning on three days growth on a 2.5 setting - BBS!

I dig my 37c it’s got that extra power for when you need it. It’s a logical progression but hold on to your 34c because it’s hard to beat for a fast shave or days when a gentle touch is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom