What's new

Want to try Tabac - which form should I get?

I am considering giving Tabac a try, but want to do so in as economical a way as possible. I can get a stick (100g = 3.5oz) for $9.45 a puck (4.4oz) for $18.43 and a puck (4.4oz) with bowl for $25.46.

Clearly, the stick is the cheapest route, but I wanted to make certain there was no significant difference between the stick and the puck in terms of performance or scent to account for the price per oz differences.

Tim

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I would get it in the milk glass bowl as it comes vs shave stick or a refill to put in your own mug. I have gone through many pucks of Tabac but unfortunately broke my first bowl (they can be slippery). I replaced it years ago and it is one of the classic containers in all of shavedom. I strongly suggest going that route. Others will disagree but I just think it makes the total Tabac experience.

I would get it in the milk glass bowl as it comes vs shave stick or a refill to put in your own mug. I have gone through many pucks of Tabac but unfortunately broke my first bowl (they can be slippery). I replaced it years ago and it is one of the classic containers in all of shavedom. I strongly suggest going that route. Others will disagree but I just think it makes the total Tabac experience.

I got the bowl. No regrets (even if I'm not a really big fan of the scent, the performance trumps it).

But on the other hand, if you don't take to it, it would be kind of a waste of money.

Never tried the shaving stick.

I just added TABAC ceramic bowl & soap a few days ago. Cant wait to try it! I was anxious about how it would smell, but it smells good.

The stick and the puck are the same product. Just soap. Not like TOBS where it's two different products.

Since they don't make soaps in ceramic bowls much anymore, I'd get the bowl if I were you. Classic. Get it while you still can.

Just broke out the Tabac (white bowl) last night for the first time in a while. It was the second soap I bought (after Proraso) and the first "investment" I made once I realized I'd be sticking with wet shaving. Now that my collection has grown to ~15, I don't use it as often as I used to, but in terms of comfort and performance it's up there with the best of them. And I love the smell.

I replaced it years ago and it is one of the classic containers in all of shavedom. I strongly suggest going that route. Others will disagree but I just think it makes the total Tabac experience.

OK, this is what got me hooked. I just placed an order for the Tabac shaving soap with original ceramic container.

Tim

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
OK, this is what got me hooked. I just placed an order for the Tabac shaving soap with original ceramic container.

Tim

Tim,.....you are truly wise.

Attachments

• $100_0690.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 177
  • $100_0691.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 178
  • $100_0692.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 177
  • $100_0693.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 178
The stick and the puck are the same product. Just soap. Not like TOBS where it's two different products.

Since they don't make soaps in ceramic bowls much anymore, I'd get the bowl if I were you. Classic. Get it while you still can.

Same product is right. When I tried it a few years ago the scent was not to my taste so I PIFed the soap. About a year ago I decided to try it again and went the stick route as being more economical. This time I forgot the scent and enjoyed the performance. So now I used the stick when I travel and at home and the soap when I am at home.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
By the way...the pictorial I posted above was from July2, 2008 when I replaced my broken Tabac milkglass jar. The original one that shattered was my first "non Williams Mug Soap" purchase in March of 2007 and I believe the first of approx. 500 BST purchases since. I remember it like it was yesterday.

By the way...the pictorial I posted above was from July2, 2008 when I replaced my broken Tabac milkglass jar. The original one that shattered was my first "non Williams Mug Soap" purchase in March of 2007 and I believe the first of approx. 500 BST purchases since. I remember it like it was yesterday.

So...much...win. Here is B&B in a nutshell. :thumbup:

I must say, i kinda like the bowl, it's nice. But, if the economical value is your concern, stick seems to be most cost-effective. Go for that, cut it, and put it in another container. I do that with all of my sticks, as i find it kinda messy to use them in their "natural" form.

I must say, i kinda like the bowl, it's nice. But, if the economical value is your concern, stick seems to be most cost-effective. Go for that, cut it, and put it in another container. I do that with all of my sticks, as i find it kinda messy to use them in their "natural" form.

If I wind up really liking Tabac then I will purchase sticks in the future and mash them into the original ceramic bowl. If I don't care for the soap then I still have a really nice ceramic bowl that I can use to hold other soap pucks in my rotation.

Sounds like I just have to be careful when handling the ceramic bowl because it may be slippery during use.

Tim

Top Bottom