What's new

Want to try some soaps... What's the best way?

As a newb, I've been reading and hearing some great things about different soaps, but don't have the $ to buy and try all of them. Is there a good place to get samples of a bunch of different soaps/creams for cheap? And is it out of line to ask for free samples or a PIF in the B/S/T forum?

Specifically, I want to try Tabac (seems illegal not to), some lime soaps (Trumpers, QED, Mama Bear Spicey Lime, T&H, etc.), and other highly recommend soaps before I shell out for a full size. I have Proraso cream on the way with my blade sampler and I got a sample of EJ Sandalwood cream with my brush. I also got in on the QED Sandalwood group buy, but won't see that until this summer.

Thanks in advance!

As a newb, I've been reading and hearing some great things about different soaps, but don't have the $ to buy and try all of them. Is there a good place to get samples of a bunch of different soaps/creams for cheap? And is it out of line to ask for free samples or a PIF in the B/S/T forum?

Specifically, I want to try Tabac (seems illegal not to), some lime soaps (Trumpers, QED, Mama Bear Spicey Lime, T&H, etc.), and other highly recommend soaps before I shell out for a full size. I have Proraso cream on the way with my blade sampler and I got a sample of EJ Sandalwood cream with my brush. I also got in on the QED Sandalwood group buy, but won't see that until this summer.

Thanks in advance!

Yep, samples are the way to go. Some members also sell 'decants' or samples of different soaps/creams which is a great way to try new stuff. I'm not sure if posting a 'PIF wanted' thread would be okay but it seems a bit...uncouth to me for some reason (but that's just me). :blushing: I would hate to see a trend of people starting to just ask for free stuff...I believe that the offer should come from the person giving. Just my 2 yen.

not wishing to take away from B+B but i got my samples from the shave den, that's how for samples have to travel

good service and a wide variety to choose from inc Tabac

not wishing to take away from B+B but i got my samples from the shave den, that's how for samples have to travel

good service and a wide variety to choose from inc Tabac

That's where I got my samples... I just broke into my last TSD sample. I'll give the Blue Juniper a few more days to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm ordering a full puck of it.

When getting samples, it would be nice to get at lest one of each major kind of soap:
  • Triple Milled (preferably tallow) examples: Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat.
  • For want of a better description, the Italian soft soaps: Cella is a good choice. Proraso is popular but I am not familiar with it so don't actually know if it can be described as a soft soap.
  • Glycerine based: Van Der Hagen, Col Conk, most of the boutique soaps. I believe the ones with clay are considered the best.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is easy to find small samples in the first two categories. I could be wrong and it would be nice if some of the soaps mentioned above did cover those.

Top Bottom