What's new

Want to try a Shavette but which one?

Most shavettes which use half DE blades will give you about the same experience if they are good quality and lock the blade well.

Shavettes get bad reputation for being agressive and dangerous but it's mostly because people go at it without actually learning about the technique.
I have used a shavette for months and never cut myself badly. I think I maybe nicked myself twice in a year, both very superficial cuts. Once with my cheap Bluebeard's Revenge shavette and the second time with my Kai Kasho Captain but it disappeared after using some alum block
Get a cheap shavette that will hold the blade securely. The Bluebeard one is fine, very similar to more expensive Parkers and super cheap so I would recommend it.

I went from the inexpensive Bluebeard's Revenge shavette that uses half DE blades to the more expensive Kai Kasho Captain which uses longer AC blades without problem and I must say the difference is not that big between the two when you have good technique. I think I could have stayed with the shavette for years without problem if I did not have some little case of Razor Acquisition Disorder.

Also once you mastered a shavette you can easily transition to a straight razor as it is said that it is even more forgiving.

The secret to a good shave is to keep the shavette very flush with your face, almost no angle and you need to really let the razor glide along your skin without any force or pressure. If you are tense or using force you cannot follow the shapes and relief of the face so it needs to flow and glide with ease. The shape of the shavette (especially the Kai Captain) should help guide the right angle.

It will mow through a week of hair growth like it's butter if you have a good blade on it.
I started with Derby blades as they are not super sharp but then used some Treets platinum (awesome super smooth blades but not too sharp).

I use a shavette and bought a clone AC Kai Luffy type, I did not have much luck starting out with a naked blade because all your sense of blade feel has to be almost perfect. So I bought some Kai Protouch blades and they helped prevent the blade from digging into the skin and cutting myself. I enjoyed my shaves a lot more using the guarded blade and a person can crank out very close shaves from these sharp blades.
View attachment 1354281 View attachment 1354282
That's exactly like the one I have and the same color! It is described as a "Feather AC type" but is more like a rather expensive Kai model. It was about $12. I'm currently using Feather lite blades. Slightly less blade exposure but seems to make a big difference. Feels about like I'm using a Pro-Guard blade in it. Haven't tried Kai blades yet.

I'm late to the party, but I'll throw in a couple more votes for the Boker Barberette and Focus Slim Al. And I suppose no shavette discussion is complete without mentioning the Shavette (Dovo - very close in all respects to the Boker).

The Barberettes (and Shavette) also take Tondeo TSS3 blades, which seem easier to find where I am (UK) than Miraki.

I've put off getting an AC blade one, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. Too many rabbits down this hole to chase 'em all at once.

Thx for all the input ordered a Focus slim AI just to see if it's something for me if not I still can use it to line up the runways 😁
Stick to it for a while, it a bit of a learning curve but it's worth it as it opens you a whole world of straight shaving and it might even improve your DE shaving technique as you will also learn to stretch your skin the right way and will understand better pressure and blade angles.

edit: The Focus slim also seems to be a great choice, you will probably enjoy it!

I tried a shavette recently. I went with a Vanta from Maggards. It will take a full DE blade, so no mucking about with trying to snap a DE blade in half. Can’t compare to anything else, but it works fine for me.

I know OP has already picked on but just wanted to say these 2 have been great for me.

This one is pricy but has been a real go to for me:

This one is my next favorite especially with the variety of edges I can try with it.

Top Bottom