What's new

Want to try a Shavette but which one?

Hi Gents,
Need some advice about shavette razors, never tried it but would like to give it a go but which one? don't want break the bank since I don't know if its for me I see there's lots of reviews on the dovo which takes a half DE blade which seems a to be practical, all recommendations are most welcome
Thx ✌

I'm a beginner with a Shavette and I'd recommend the Sedef Turkish razors. They're a lot like Arko in that they're Turkish, a great value, and very frequently used by professional Turkish barbers. They can also accept many different types of blades.

Two of them are about five bucks on Amazon.

I like them because the blade holder is so thin that a very shallow blade angle can be achieved, which makes them very gentle on the skin.

If you go the Sedef route, be careful loading a blade into them. That's the only real down-side to the Sedef. The blade loading is a bit finnicky and, quite honestly, not too safe.

The Parker is cheap and popular—it was my first shavette. But I’d suggest trying to find a deal on an AC type. Much more enjoyable to use.

My first shavette was a Wilkinson Sword classic, it was cheap and beautiful, but it only used half de blades and the cheap screws that they used instead of a pin broke. Therefore I can not recommend this razor.

My current Shavette is a Böker Olivewood Barberette. It can use either a half de blade or a Miraki long blade ( I dont know if it's compatible with other long blades). The build quality is exactly what I would expect from a Solingen razor manufacturer and the blades are not as fiddly to install as the Wilkinson sword. This is an excellent shavette and one that I would definitely recommend.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I started with a Parker SRX. I wish I'd started with the Focus Slim Al.

The Focus is more expensive, but in that early part of the learning curve you need a little more help because you don't know yet if "you're doing it right." It has corner guards, which -- trust me -- you will want as you develop your touch. It also has a built-in angle guide. Plus it's a nice small little razor that uses 1/2 DE blades so you can toss it in your kit and travel with it and not have to worry about finding blades that normal humans don't use wherever you're going.

(Like Canada -- I can always find DE blades even if they're just Wilkinson Swords. I have to order Gem and AC blades online.)

O.H.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I'd have a look at the Merkhor range on amazon very cheap but good shavettes i have the stainless steel one there's only a 0.5 blade reveal which is a bit more forgiving that some of my other shavettes. It only uses half DEs so you can just snap DEs in half or buy the Half DEs good luck in your hunt ;)

I started with a Parker SRX. I wish I'd started with the Focus Slim Al.

The Focus is more expensive, but in that early part of the learning curve you need a little more help because you don't know yet if "you're doing it right." It has corner guards, which -- trust me -- you will want as you develop your touch. It also has a built-in angle guide. Plus it's a nice small little razor that uses 1/2 DE blades so you can toss it in your kit and travel with it and not have to worry about finding blades that normal humans don't use wherever you're going.

(Like Canada -- I can always find DE blades even if they're just Wilkinson Swords. I have to order Gem and AC blades online.)

O.H.
This one

Looks very interesting with the extra guard let's see if I can find a EU vendor since shipping and import fees are ridiculously high these days but thx for the info 👍

I'd have a look at the Merkhor range on amazon very cheap but good shavettes i have the stainless steel one there's only a 0.5 blade reveal which is a bit more forgiving that some of my other shavettes. It only uses half DEs so you can just snap DEs in half or buy the Half DEs good luck in your hunt ;)
This one?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
This one?

Thats the one only I went for the all silver one as I guessed at the price the black coating wouldn't last to long and begin to flake off.

There is an epic thread here on B&B with huge amounts of information and opinions about shavettes.

This one

Looks very interesting with the extra guard let's see if I can find a EU vendor since shipping and import fees are ridiculously high these days but thx for the info 👍
Since they are Italian, I would expect you to find better pricing in the EU. They also make a similar one called the Focus Evolution R21 & Focus Evolution R22, which uses a plastic insert similar to the Dovo shavette. I presume the Dovo is made in Germany and thus less expensive for you as another option.

I do like my Focus Slim Al; how it is light weight, compact size, colorful finish, provides protection from blade points, while overall being a good shaver. Cheaper shavettes shave as well as you gain experience.

There is an epic thread here on B&B with huge amounts of information and opinions about shavettes.

"Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

All shavettes are wickedly sharp and will at times bite you when you are least expecting it. Their like feral, wild cats which can only be picked you by hand by the scruff of the neck.

Similarly, in my experience, and after much shedding of blood, you need grip them 1-2cms from the tip of the blade holder, with only the little finger resting on the other side of the pivot (tang) and shave mostly with 1cm overlapping short strokes. -For the utmost control and control of pressure of the blade on the skin. Because shavettes are so sharp, in my experience you need to pick them up from the countertop like this before approaching the face with the razor. Shavette kamisoris lend themselves admirably to this style of 'hold,' and the absence of the handle makes for better maneuverability.

Nevertheless, they can be tamed, and as has been said, 'if you can shave with one of these , you can shave with anything!'

Shavettes with half DE blades are terrible IMHO. If you want a good and inexpensive one, try either the CJB or the Shear's Direct which is available on Amazon.

If you are new to cut throat razors, start with the Dorco blades. Give the Kais a total miss as they seem to have micro chips. The best blades are the Shick Prolines and the Feathers. Be careful though because those last two are brutally sharp.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use a shavette and bought a clone AC Kai Luffy type, I did not have much luck starting out with a naked blade because all your sense of blade feel has to be almost perfect. So I bought some Kai Protouch blades and they helped prevent the blade from digging into the skin and cutting myself. I enjoyed my shaves a lot more using the guarded blade and a person can crank out very close shaves from these sharp blades.
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg
YY Kai Protouch guarded blade AC blade 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom