What's new

Want to start smoking a pipe

The title says it all. I have been wanting to pick up a pipe for quite some time now but for the lack of funds I have not been able to pick anything up yet. I have alot of stuff to trade with but really no cash at the moment.

Recommendations of what to look for?:confused1

boswell pipes. they have everything. and are great people to call and talk to. they make all there own "flavors" of tabacco also.. and can build a pipe for you if your ready for it. there just a great person to be :friends: with when your a pipe smoker. im 29 and do buisness with them alot. there a good place to open your mind up to i guess im trying to say. good people.

An affordable way to start is with a cob, an estate pipe, or quality store branded briar and quality bulk blends. As far as tobaccos choices go my recommendations vary widely depending on your tobacco history. They would be very different for a regular cigarette smoker, the occasional cigar smoker, or individual wanting to try pipes without other experience. Generally I would recommend getting a decent estate or store briar, a cob, and an ounce of an unscented Va blend, a medium bodied English, and a quality aromatic. If you shop carefully you can get all this for $30-$50 and the pipes are a one time purchase and would provide you with an indefinite period of use. Give us a little more detail and a budget and we can narrow that down a bit.

i have a custom made (wizzard) style pipe. i can pack the hell outta and smoke for a longg time.. great pipes..

I was just thinking and what kind of trades are you talking about. Depending on what your interested in trading I could get you a pretty decent estate starter set put together, fully cleaned polished and ready to go.

I was just thinking and what kind of trades are you talking about. Depending on what your interested in trading I could get you a pretty decent estate starter set put together, fully cleaned polished and ready to go.

PM sent regarding possible trade

Like others have said, a corn cob is about $6. After that it's basically fumbling around in the dark smelling different blends and what not until you find something you like. Then you spend the rest of forever tasting all the rest of them. :lol:

If you ask, you should be able to load up a sample of something that smells good in the store and try it out. Then it's $3-5 to get an ounce to take home and enjoy.

See if there is a local pipe club in your area. Members often meet once a month for pipe swaps and tobacco trials. Most tobacconists also carry well cleaned estate pipes at good prices. If you are looking for a very good quality new pipe at a fair price, my vote would go to Stanwell, Britannia, and Brebbia.

Upon a few conversations with jwhite via pm I have learned enough about pipes to do alot of research. I am a cig smoker currently and have been sick of them for years, as my research and some very insightful knowledge from jwhite, shows that it is actually going to be alot cheaper to smoke a pipe on a daily basis rather than smoke cigs.

Also the variety of tobaccos offered to the pipe smoker is so incredibly immense. There is literally something out there for any type of smoker. Without actually using any of them as of yet this journey is going to be a long and pleasurable one.

Finally, is there any more of a gentlemanly trade than fine DE razors for expertly restored estate pipes? In my opinion, no.

I have a couple of Boswells (same as new) available for an interesting trade. see b/s/t for pictures. would be interested in working a trade for a str8 or CF product.

Top Bottom