What's new

Want to give badgers one more shot

So I'm going to get a Shavemac D01, but I'm torn on the diameter. I'm wavering between either a 20mm or a 24mm.

I currently only have two boars. A 22mm and a 25mm. I also have (for sale, if you're interested) a Penchetta 23mm which has a Vulfix super badger knot on it and I started wet shaving with a EJBBB which is a 21mm.

I liked the EJBBB but I found it too prickly, especially after a few months of using the Penchetta, which I found way too floppy.

So, will the "better" backbone of a D01 knot (compared to a Vulfix knot) give me a less floppy brush but leave me the face coverage I like, or should I just go with the smaller 20mm?

I'm ignoring the 22mm because I am... :tongue_sm

And since I haven't done a poll in a long time... :biggrin1:

I had a 24(maye 25?)mm D01 3 band. It was about the size of a Chubby 2. It was a cheek coverer.

I also borrowed a 24mm D01 2 band extreme flat. Much less splay. Felt more like I'd expect a 24mm to feel. Let's say a 1/2 cheek coverer.

20mm D01 3 band should be a nice size, if in doubt, I'd bump it up to 21mm. I think in two band it might be a bit too small and I'd go for 22mm.

Of course it also depends on knot shape and loft.

I voted 24mm...my previous brushes were all smaller and i liked them...then I got a custom brush made by ccnutman (member here) and he made me a 24mm (at his suggestion, that is what his favorites are). And, I love it. Great size.

BTW, now I asked him to make another in Finest (my other is a Silvertip)

I had a 24(maye 25?)mm D01 3 band. It was about the size of a Chubby 2. It was a cheek coverer.

I also borrowed a 24mm D01 2 band extreme flat. Much less splay. Felt more like I'd expect a 24mm to feel. Let's say a 1/2 cheek coverer.

20mm D01 3 band should be a nice size, if in doubt, I'd bump it up to 21mm. I think in two band it might be a bit too small and I'd go for 22mm.

Of course it also depends on knot shape and loft.
I was thinking of keeping the loft fairly short. So 46mm - 44mm for a 20mm knot (assuming they can do it. Not sure what's too short for badger).

I had thought of just doing a bulb shaped knot, but maybe go crazy and do a flatter fan shape.

I did like the feel of my penchetta until it came to actually trying to swirl the lather on my face and it was so freaking floppy the only thing that actually worked was painting. So maybe I should go with the bigger but make it a 2 band for some solidity.....

so many options, and it's one brush from one manufacturer. this hobby is going to drive me insane

I'm leaning more and more towards a 24mm 2-band D01 with a fan shape. I do wonder about the loft though. Does 50mm make sense, or is that too short? I could do better on these ratios of I was talking boar... :tongue_sm

Either that or a 20mm knot/26mm loft 3-band D01...

I'm leaning more and more towards a 24mm 2-band D01 with a fan shape. I do wonder about the loft though. Does 50mm make sense, or is that too short? I could do better on these ratios of I was talking boar... :tongue_sm

Either that or a 20mm knot/26mm loft 3-band D01...

I have a TGN Silvertip 24mm set at about 58mm (that's a 1:2.4 ratio), a 20mm Grade A Silvertip set at 48mm (that's also a 1:2.4 ratio) and a 20mm TGN Finest set at about 46mm (that's a 1:2.3 ratio). All of these handle soaps just fine.

I have seen some set a knot at a 1:2 ratio, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. The brush will be stiffer and scrubbier the lower you set the knot, naturally.

I'm just throwing those numbers out. Hope to give you some perspective. Hope that helps.

I have a TGN Silvertip 24mm set at about 58mm (that's a 1:2.4 ratio), a 20mm Grade A Silvertip set at 48mm (that's also a 1:2.4 ratio) and a 20mm TGN Finest set at about 46mm (that's a 1:2.3 ratio). All of these handle soaps just fine.

I have seen some set a knot at a 1:2 ratio, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary. The brush will be stiffer and scrubbier the lower you set the knot, naturally.

I'm just throwing those numbers out. Hope to give you some perspective. Hope that helps.
So then for the 24mm/50mm would be around 1:2 which does seem a bit small. The EJBBB is 1:2.6 and the penchetta was 1:2.4.... perhaps something along the lines of 1:2.2, or 53mm, will give me the slight scrubbiness which I do want out of this brush, without getting to be a dishwashing scrubber! :laugh:

So then for the 24mm/50mm would be around 1:2 which does seem a bit small. The EJBBB is 1:2.6 and the penchetta was 1:2.4.... perhaps something along the lines of 1:2.2, or 53mm, will give me the slight scrubbiness which I do want out of this brush, without getting to be a dishwashing scrubber! :laugh:

That sounds good...if you do plan on going with the silvertip, you can go lower, to artificially create some backbone (but from what I have heard/read the D01 has plenty of backbone for a silvertip).

I think 24mm at 52 or 53 would make a great brush. Although, as long as you get good quality hair (which D01 obviously is) the difference of a few mm might not make a huge difference. You might have to get two just to check. :wink2:

least successful poll... ever :confused1

You are a boar lover so what can I say. I am in the same boat and bought me a Simpsons Commodore X1 some time ago. I wanted a soap/face latherer. It works well and is actually a realy nice brush.

I think I used it 5 or 6 times in the last 6 months.......

I whish you luck! :001_rolle

I voted 24mm, however I would suggest going ~52mm loft. I have one at the stock loft (56MM), and its a little bit tall for my tastes. These brushes have amazing backbone, so its not even close to floppy at that loft, but I still like the feel of a short loft brush. Also the native highish loft makes for a big face feel, a shorter loft would shrink that down a little bit.

Top Bottom