What's new

Want to get into DSLR, is there an actual budget option?

Not strictly DSLRs I'm recommending, but you can find plenty of pre-owned mirrorless kits on eBay, eg. you can find a basic a5100 kit for about the price of a nice P&S, although an A-mount to E-mount adapter would set you back a bit but would grant you access to the entire Sony lens catalog, as the A-mount lenses would be adapted, and your body would be natively compatible with the E-mount lenses.

Last edited:
Saw this post just now and was wondering if the original poster got a camera?

As someone who makes a fair living with sports photography, any DSLR in the last 7 years will be fine, but go with the best you can reasonably afford. When I was starting back into the photography world I went with a Nikon D7000 and used my dad's old kit lenses from our 35mm film N90. Worked great, then I started doing sports photography and purchased a used D300. My next camera was a Nikon D500. I also just got a ridiculous deal on a Nikon D700 for under $200.

Always spend the money on the lenses as they will be compatible longer than the cameras. Digital cameras get updates and refresh every couple of years. 3 years is considered very old to a professional sports photographer for instance. In the end though a good photographer can get a great image with an old camera. Also, with new tech look at mirrorless cameras as well. They offer some great advantages to a non-sports photographer in my opinion.

Given you have a family I would recommend something used and use it till it breaks! Take photos of your kids and family and share the photos and back them up on the cloud. The images are worth so much later. Hope you found something awesome, and if so share some photos!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thoughts on getting a new camera and what to look for or maybe not...

dave

I like the comment near the end where he says, “You’ll never take a great picture with a camera that’s sitting at home.”

My DSLR spends too much time sitting at home. Because of this, I bought some external lenses for my phone, which easily fit in a pocket. Also, sharing photos from my Nikon D3200 is a pain. So my iPhone XS is my current camera of choice.

If I do buy a new camera it will have an offset range finder viewer. I hate having to smash my nose against the rear display when looking through the view finder on my DSLR. Something like a Fuji mirror less variety might be nice.

interesting everyone is hopped up for used cameras. Unless you get a used one from the manufacturer, its going to have high usage on that shutter.

Only two cameras have shutters that are rated past 150,000 uses. And factory refurbishment will get a new shutter tossed in.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have not read this whole thread, sorry, but what passes for a camera in my Moto G6 phone is good enough for me now.

I bought my first SLR in 1983? I think. A Minolta XG-1.

I ain't goin' back.

DSLR's are really an outdated technology, and there are better options out there in all budgets. My suggestion would be a pre-loved Sony Alpha A7. This is a full frame camera (EVIL - electronic view finder, interchangeable lens) in a compact form . The lenses are smaller than DSLR designed lenses as they do not need to employ a retro-focus design (they don't have a moving mirror that they need to avoid) . This will generally result in a better quality optic also. There are some amazing budget lenses available for the Sony as well, and it is worth looking a manual focus prime lens. I always tell my students to start with prime lenses given the choice.

Find a good independent camera shop, and look at their used cameras. Most of these shops check out and test any used cameras they take in. They don't accept junk. You can often get a good deal on a quality used DSLR and lens. B&H and Aldorama also have used equipment, they have a good reputation for not selling worn out-junk used cameras. They are worth checking out. Luckly where I live they have a wonderful camera/photo store that has been in business since just after WW2. Their used cameras and lens are top notch.

Take a look at adorama's used section (it seems a bit better than bh right now). If you are used to film go with something full frame as you don't have to randomly think differently from your film days. There is a used canon 1ds full frame (17 MPX) there for $529. You can probably get a used canon 5d2 (I had this camera for a long time and just recently upgraded it) for that same price range if you wait around a bit. The cameras from that time period are already like film cameras + (so you can use your film worldview in digital world with the added benefit of no developing). The 6d I think is another full frame canon that is likely to show up as inexpensive used.

Regards
Avi

An older thread, but still. Since sports photography never really interested me, but getting out amongst the woodland creatures did, I went Pentax. Yeah, they're still around! Outside of a couple qualifiers they're a brand worth a look. Their prime glass is still drool worthy, and a moderately cared for lens will still be going strong when your grandchildren sell them on eBay. And available for a song.

Those qualifiers I mentioned are video, sports, and zoom lenses. The video is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. They just don't really have the speed to track for sports. And their gems are all prime lenses, their zooms are kinda weak.

I’ve been a Canon shooter almost all my life. I started in 1968 with a Miranda and graduated to a Canon in 1975. In 1986, I bought a Canon EOS 650. As I have acquired lenses, my investment in Canon has grown to the point that I wouldn’t want to give them up to start over with another brand. My latest Canon, the 80D was acquired direct from Canon refurbished. I’ve not had a lick of trouble with it and would never buy new again. Also, look at KEH cameras on the web. I’ve bought several lenses from them and I’ve never been disappointed.

An older thread, but still. Since sports photography never really interested me, but getting out amongst the woodland creatures did, I went Pentax. Yeah, they're still around! Outside of a couple qualifiers they're a brand worth a look. Their prime glass is still drool worthy, and a moderately cared for lens will still be going strong when your grandchildren sell them on eBay. And available for a song.

Those qualifiers I mentioned are video, sports, and zoom lenses. The video is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. They just don't really have the speed to track for sports. And their gems are all prime lenses, their zooms are kinda weak.
Interesting article I saw about Pentax that kind of jives with what you said. Pentax Reasserts Commitment to SLRs Over Mirrorless in New 'Brand Vision' - https://petapixel.com/2020/07/16/pentax-reasserts-commitment-to-slrs-over-mirrorless-in-new-brand-vision/

Top Bottom