What's new

Want to dive in to higher end badger

Agreed. They have quickly become my all time favorites. I’m up to three now, and seem to be perpetually contemplating a fourth.
Agreed. I'm contemplating a third.
Those Paladin handles are beautiful. I long ago decided that when I am ready, that will be my one splurge on a high end brush to round out my collection.
That will be a nice splurge, I hope you're able to get there some day. They are a reasonably priced high-end brush. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either the handle or knot.

I'm constantly toying with the idea of downsizing my collection. I actually have fewer brushes now than I did at this time last year, so I am making progress. As downsizing continues, the only brushes I don't plan on selling or trading are my Varlets and a pair of Black Eagles. I have tried a ton of brushes, but I think those two brands are the top of the heap for two band brushes right now.

It's a tossup between the two. My 2 cents...overall, the Varlet handle shapes are more comfortable than the Black Eagle handle shapes. Also, the Varlet knots (specifically the "high density-traditional) are the best performing knots I've used thus far. The Varlet craftsmanship is superb.

Black Eagles are absolutely impeccably crafted. I don't think there's a brush maker on earth who can top BE's attention to detail, both in handles and knots. The handles are Paladin-quality, but are turned by hand (Paladin uses a CNC lathe). The knots are extra super dense fans. They are stuffed with hair. Much more hair than anyone else is stuffing into knots. It can be an acquired taste. I prefer the Varlet knots more, but like the BE for a change of pace.

Both are very high end items. The Varlets used to be less expensive (comparable to Declarations) before going the custom order route. Now they are quite expensive, but are much easier obtained than they used to be (though you'll wait a while for it to be made). Black Eagles, on the other hand, are extremely hard to obtain. They are made in very small numbers and they sell out instantly. Secondary market prices can be nuts.

IMO, those two are the top of the heap if you appreciate top-level craftsmanship and are looking to dive in head first. Of course, there are many other great options that cost less and are easier to get (Declaration Grooming, Mozingo, Simpson, Shavemac, Paladin, etc.).

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm sorry to hear that Dan. Brushes are truly a YMMV part of our hobby. For me, Paladins are the best brush I've tried. They are certainly dense, but pillowy soft with a nice firmness. And they release the lather easily for me too. If you still have your Paladins, shoot me a PM.
No, I sold them both, David.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve exhausted my RAD both vintage and modern, and explored many soaps and balms in my years here.

However, when it comes to brushes, I was mostly a boar/Synthetic guy. I do have a very nice Stirling Badger, but have decided its finally time to step into something thats not under $50.

Paladin, Rudey Vey, Simpsons, and so so so many mote choices. Seems some knots are handmade while others are not.
Can i get some advantages and disadvantages of upgrading my brush game, and a ton of suggestions? Thanks guys.
I have a large Vulfix silvertip I’m willing to part with if you’re interested, PM me.

Aside from what you’ve mentioned:

Declaration Grooming, Dogwood Handcrafts, Grizzly Bay, Varlet is on order form now, Turn N Shave.

Also check out Heritage Collection, That Darn Rob, and Envy Shave.

Any of these are stellar, the handles are superb and you can pick and choose your knots.

Be prepared. Varlets run upwards of $400, a Dogwood with a Declaration knot is around the same....Turn N Shave/Grizzly Bay/That Darn Rob/Heritage/Envy/will run you under $200 with a knot included.

Advantages include one of a kind handles, custom stuff if you’d like to do your own colors etc...

You could start with one of the Maggard’s kits if you’re comfortable putting together your own brush. It’s easy and takes about 10 minutes with their stuff, plus 24-30 hours to dry.

I’d ask around for knot recommendations; some guys love fans, some guys love bulbs, so guys love super high density stuff, some guys like looser knots etc.

Good luck man, brush rabbit hole is fun.

The Varlets are about $500? I am happy with my declaration grooming that I got through the knotting service. Knot and handle for about $200.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Another high quality brush-maker that deserves to be mentioned, in my opinion, is Brad Sears. I like his brushes.

Top Bottom