What's new

Want new razor, need advice.

I've been wet shaving for a couple of years now, going back and forth between straights, various vintage gillettes, and a merkur barber pole. I'm in the mood for something new and was thinking about going for a DE that's a little more "grown up" than the barber pole.

That being said, what I'm looking at is either a Muhle r41 or a Merkur 39C (slant on a barber pole handle). My beard is rather coarse but my skin can be sensitive at times. I normally shave every day or every other and prefer Astra blades. Love to hear your thoughts, opinions, experiences on these two razors. :001_smile

I had a Sledgehammer that gave me a great shave but was just a little too aggressive for me, I reserved it more for the times I let my beard grow out for a week or more; definitely NOT a daily shaver for me however. I have thicker but softer beard hairs and using the slant every day murdered my neck.

if you are looking for something new as far as selection goes..either try a modern razor.DE or straight razor..or look for any Victorian era items..ya never know what they had in those days.

I just dont see how people can call the slant aggressive. I have sensitive skin and the old Merkur slant that I have gives a smooth effortless shave. Now the barberpole I have with the safety bar head is more aggressive for me than the slant. And just to make it clear aggressive to me is how careful I have to be to keep from getting cut or causing irritation. Its strange to hear that I know but thats been my experience.

I'm sold on the Merkur Furtur or Mergress. You can't go wrong with eithewr of these babies.

Its all about trying them out and finding whats best for you.

I tried the slant a couple of different times, and didn't like it at all. Shaving and shave gear is for sure YMMV.

So after getting a r41 and a 12c, I broke down and ordered the 37c anyways. I LOVE it. I should have just gotten it in the first place :(

How do ya like the R41, and 12C? Glad you found a good shave with the 37C, its one I'd like at somepoint.

What made you go 37C over 39C?

I guess you'll need to get the 39C now too :p

I tend to order the barber pole handles so I just wanted to mix it up. I actually find it's easier for me to hold the razor more... daintily... so as to use no pressure, whereas with the barber pole I tend to grip the razor more and end up pressing even though I don't mean to.

You can get a great deal on the "old" R41 at many vendors (especially the ones in the UK)...it is not as aggressive as the new 41 but delivers a terrific shave.

I've tried both and found them to be good shavers, the r41 is by far the most aggressive de razor. One razor that you might want to try and works really well is the merkur 1904 model (42c) got a superb shave this morning from it and have got consistently great shaves every day for the last month.

I tend to order the barber pole handles so I just wanted to mix it up. I actually find it's easier for me to hold the razor more... daintily... so as to use no pressure, whereas with the barber pole I tend to grip the razor more and end up pressing even though I don't mean to.

With heavier handles, I find it's more difficult to judge the pressure. I chose the 37c (slant with smaller handle) instead of the 39c (slant with baberpole) for that reason. I don't regret my choice.

However, now I wonder if should have taken the gold 37g...

Top Bottom