What's new

Want a Handgun for Protection Plus...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks for all of the replies! A lot to read. I need to re-read the thread. A lot of good information.

My current plan is to get something for home defense.

In the future I plan to get a Conceal Carry License for Illinois. It looks like this is only 16 hrs of training. (For some reason I thought it was 40 hrs.) I will not be carrying this until I have been through the training. After that, it will only be for select situations.

My plan is to not get more than one gun, but I do tend to go overboard sometimes.

@OkieStubble "Do you still own the shotguns?" Yes, I have a double barrel 12ga, double barrel 20ga, and a single shot .410ga.

Don't be surprised, that when you make the right selection for your one gun. You find that you enjoy it soooo much, it leads to buying another gun. And then another one. And then anot... lol'd. :)

I'm jealous... :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I have a long list myself, but I am very budget minded. On top of the list is a 45 and a 357.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We are a lot alike. While I purchase, sell and trade firearms too often to be considered “budget minded,” I do like to have the frame of thought during my firearms purchases, similar to yours when checking them off my list.

So while they might not be an inexpensive firearm or budget friendly firearm, my thought process is that ‘one .357’ and the ‘one 1911’ or that ‘one AR’ that beats all other AR’s.

While I don’t think that mental process is working, because I own more than one AR and more than one 1911 and more than a few Glocks.

I’m strangely at peace that mental process is broken. ;)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Based on your stated goals:
Single Stack Glock i.e G43X or G 48
Single Stack Sig i.e 365 or 365XL
Single Stack Smith & Wesson Shield and Shield Plus

These 3 brands along with Beretta and HK represent 5 brands that you could reliably bet your life on relative to many other brands that are often cheaper and may presently be more available in the stores.

I am not a fan of a small J frame 5 shot revolver as a primary weapon because of
1. low capacity
2. difficult to reload quickly under stress
3. difficult to buy with high visibility sights relative to many of the semiautomatic pistols already mentioned
4. difficult to shoot accurately at speed beyond 3-5 yrds relative to many of the semi automatics listed above for many shooters
5. difficult to configure with a light relative to the pistols mentioned above.
6. takes up nearly as much space and is not that much more concealable than weapons with 2x the capacity if worn on the beltline in a purpose designed holster/belt combination

My critique is tempered by the fact that a 442/642 5 shot j frame revolver is light, easy to carry and even fire multiple rounds from a pocket. You can literally be just standing around with your hand in a pocket on the gun with no one the wiser. That can make for an exceptionally fast first shot.

Please know that ammo availability/pricing is a significant challenge with firearms pricing/availability nearly as bad in many areas.

BTW-What is your budget?
It going J frame, I’d suggest one that is .38 +P compatible. Normally .38 for most target shooting, +P for occasional practice and carry.

S&W M&P .40 meets all of your needs.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. Also, for what it's worth, practice often and only keep it loaded with defense rounds if that is indeed what you intend to use it for. Ball ammo is for target practice, which I cannot stress enough the importance of. Maybe even take some classes on defense strategies and be prepared to lawyer up. Good luck!

OkieStubble

It is high in my list,as is a 357.

I really appreciate your input and have a great amount of respect for your input. If money were no object, the 357 would already be in my hands.

Thanks partner' I really appreciate and respect yours too. :) I hear ya, I'm retired now, so I'm on a fixed income. :)

OkieStubble

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Also, for what it's worth, practice often and only keep it loaded with defense rounds if that is indeed what you intend to use it for. Ball ammo is for target practice, which I cannot stress enough the importance of. Maybe even take some classes on defense strategies and be prepared to lawyer up. Good luck!

I agree with your post sir 100%. But I wouldn't want to be shot with a 180 grains of .40 Ball Ammo. Just sayin... ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It is high in my list,as is a 357.

I really appreciate your input and have a great amount of respect for your input. If money were no object, the 357 would already be in my hands.

You can POSSIBLY get a great used Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel at a good price. Not a GREAT price, but a good one. The problem is finding ammo.

I have NEVER regretted that gun.

Top Bottom