What's new

Want a closer shave. What razor should I get?

I've been DE shaving now for 3 months or so... this is my second go round having done this before about 7 years ago. I've got some decent soaps and aftershaves, have tried a half dozen blades, and two different razors.

I have a Weishi TTO razor that's rather frustrating. It really doesn't give a close shave unless I endlessly blade buff most areas. I replaced that razor with a PAA DOC (the nickel one). This seems to be a step up in terms of aggression, and shaves closer, particularly with a very sharp blade like a Gillette Silver Blue.

But I want it closer. I'm looking for a two pass shave with minimal touchups and a very nice shave. With the very first use of a Silver Blue, I'm almost there. After that, the shaves seem to fall off in closeness; still good, just not really nice like the first time.

Today I used an Astra SP for it's 4th shave. I've shaved with Astra SP before so I know it's not as smooth or as sharp as Silver Blues, but still a good blade. But today I shimmed the blade with a single (trimmed) blade underneath it. ...and I swear I got the closest, or maybe top 3 closest shave I've ever gotten with a DE! I think the extra slick soap I was using (Soap Commander Vision with a good amount of water) helped a ton. Soap Commander seems very, very slick if not quite as cushiony as something like Barrister and Mann.

I'm not sure if I just want a razor with a bigger gap, or with more blade overhang, or if I want a slant. I've read good things about the PAA Prismatic and that it is far more aggressive than the Double Open Comb (DOC) that I have now. I've read that slants are a whole new world.

With my current razor I cut myself once a week or so, plus or minus. My technique is definitely decent, but certainly not perfected. So I probably don't want a crazy aggressive razor like an R41 or something.

What should I be looking at to get a closer shave with 2 passes using Silver Blues, Red Personnas, or maybe even Astra SPs ?

EDIT: I only want new razors; I don't want to chase vintage or out of production products. My budget is roughly $50, but I would stretch it if there was a good reason.

Thank you!

Brian.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Muhle R41. You’ll never get a closer shave with anything else. Two passes is all you’ll need.

Remember though that closeness does not always necessitate aggression.

I’ve used a Fatip Piccolo almost exclusively the last half year. It seems to be a step under the r41 in terms of blade feel. Guaranteed BBS in 2-3 passes.

However a couple of days ago I had my first time out with a ‘59 Fatboy. Setting 3, 2 pass with clean up BBS, smooth as butter, almost zero blade feel.

I'm interested in the Fatip razors, except that I read that the new ones (2017+?) are way more mild than the originals. I think that makes them not what I want, which is too bad since I've seen various Fatip models recommended in several different "more aggressive razor" threads.

Brian.

IMO they are overboard on quality, efficiency, and shave, perfect on blade feel, and superb in value (being a fraction of the cost of similar razors).

They are remarked to be a fair bit less aggressive than the initial version though, but have upped the smoothness and not lost out on efficiency.

Rockwell 6s. Always give me a close shave
Stainless steel, rigid head, good price considering its a premium razor, and you get six different settings.

Depends on how much closer you want. In the $50 and under, there are some good candidates.

Fatip and Schone models come in under $30 in most cases. - A good step up in efficiency over your current razors. I

f you like the DOC, RazoRock has the SLOC (Yagi DLC) which is a more aggressive take on the same design.

Rockwell 6C, shaves like its 6S brother at half the price. My 6s is one of the easiest close shavers I own. - Start with plate 3 and work your way up as necessary. Right at the $50 mark.

On a budget, order a MingShi off eBay, under $10 and shaves a lot like the Futur, a smooth close adjustable razor.

Don't underestimate trying another blade first. KAI and Feathers can step up many razors to the next level.

I will only offer the ones with quality build + affordable price point even those breaking your $50 mark:

- Razorock BBS Aluminum $40 ( I would of recommended the titanium version but that one is no longer available and is discontinued)

- Razorock MJ-90 Aluminum/Titanium $40 ( the aggressive plate should put a smile on your face)

- Razorock Wunderbar Slant 316L SS $130 ( noticeable aggression and blade feel, yet it don't bite me)

- Rockwell 6S 316L SS $100 ( very good value for money)

- Fatip Grande Brass $30 ( whiskers killer)

- Fatip Gentile Brass $30 ( medium aggressive whisker killer)

- Razorock HAWK Aluminum $30 ( artist club blades)

- Supply Provision 316L SS $100 + 10% discount ( injector blades)

All of these I recommended are made of SS,Brass,Aluminum, Titanium no zinc involved.

The cheapest one that I know will give you excellent shaves and even though is mix of zinc and brass will last you at least 5 years +, that would be the Futur Clone that you can find on AliExpress for as low as $7 shipped. Your wallet, your choice.

Muhle R41. You’ll never get a closer shave with anything else. Two passes is all you’ll need.

If our friend is cutting himself once a week with the very mild PAA DOC I'm not sure leaping to an R41 is a great idea. His technique clearly needs work.

I'd recommend more focus with the razor he's got, perhaps with a sharper blade like a BIC.

If it's gotta be with a different razor ,and I understand that desire, a second hand Variant/Progress or Rockwell 6C would be a good step in a more aggressive direction while technique is still being mastered.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the Schone oc made by Fatip.
Schone Gold&Nickel.JPG

IMO they are overboard on quality, efficiency, and shave, perfect on blade feel, and superb in value (being a fraction of the cost of similar razors).

They are remarked to be a fair bit less aggressive than the initial version though, but have upped the smoothness and not lost out on efficiency.

+1 Fatip is the way to go.

Personally, I would have cut my face to shreds with a Muhle R41 with only three months' experience. I doubt you would get anything as assertive with your budget, but I think there's quite a bit of risk with an R41 at this stage.

I'd go with the Fatip Piccolo - the difference in closeness is imperceptible, if any at all, but it is much easier to handle and is smoother in use.

All of them.

But for the sake of simplicity:

1. RazoRock German 37 slant.

2. Fine Slant.

3. Schick O clone.

Effortless. CHEAP. Best of luck.

Some good recommendations above. May I also suggest a Parker Variant adjustable, which is $57 new shipped or often found right here on the BST for $45 & under.

Excellent DE razor with adjustability from very mild to very efficient, plus it is oh so smooth!!!

My second recommendation would be a Gillette Slim adjustable, which is also another fantastic shaver. For under $50 you can find a really clean, nice & shiny Slim. I wouldn't automatically discard the vintage option, especially with a $50 budget. Sometimes the vintages just can't be beat!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm interested in the Fatip razors, except that I read that the new ones (2017+?) are way more mild than the originals. I think that makes them not what I want, which is too bad since I've seen various Fatip models recommended in several different "more aggressive razor" threads.

Brian.
Actually, the Fatip retool was an improvement and an upgrade. The new 19mm cap clamps the blade much more rigid. That means it is a much smoother razor than the old stock Fatips. There is still plenty of blade feel with no loss of efficiecy. The new 19mm cap, over the old 18mm cap, is actually some what of a return to the original 1980's model. The only difference is the new cap is 1mm thicker mid point. Don't rule them out. They're are very efficient razors.

If our friend is cutting himself once a week with the very mild PAA DOC I'm not sure leaping to an R41 is a great idea. His technique clearly needs work.

I could certainly use more experience and I'm definitely in agreement that an R41 would probably lead to a lot of cuts.

I'd recommend more focus with the razor he's got, perhaps with a sharper blade like a BIC.

But I have to respectfully disagree here. I don't think there's any technique in the world that will get me a closer shave with the equipment I have now; the razor is just too mild for a 2 pass shave to be ultra close. On my first go-round with DE shaving (more than 6 years ago) I tried all of the yellow, black, and green Gillettes. I also tried Feather. I found them all to give me razor burn and random cuts. All of this with the Weishi, which is apparently the mildest razor on the planet.

I won't say that I know a lot about blades; nor am I closed to trying more or learning more. But I think the Silver Blues are a nice compromise of sharp and smooth and I also really like the Red Personnas for their smoothness.

If it's gotta be with a different razor ,and I understand that desire, a second hand Variant/Progress or Rockwell 6C would be a good step in a more aggressive direction while technique is still being mastered.

Thank you for your input. The 6C is currently near the top of my list due to this and other recommendations. I hope I don't seem argumentative. I'm trying to give you my perspective.

Thanks,

Brian.

Top Bottom