What's new

Wanna see a picture?

Just took this a little bit ago. I've got three cabinets in the bathroom with shaving stuff but this one holds my current boar and synth brushes (minus the Semogue SOC Taj which is drying), all my razors in current rotation, and a few of my too many soaps and creams (stashed in another cabinet and a drawer). If you're curious about something, feel free to ask.

fullsizeoutput_44ea.jpeg

I should mention the mystery soaps are an Arko puck transferred to the VdH green/blue bowl, La Toja stick puckified, Speick stick puckified, Palmolive stick puckified, and PdP original and #63 in the tins. And yes, the soap in the Old Spice mug is original Old Spice soap.

Last edited:
For 50 (was it?) years of shaving, your gear are all in great condition :thumbup1:
Well, not much of it is 50 years in my possession but I take care of my things. So most of the razors are 50-100 years old but cared for. Brushes are 10-20 years old save for the recent purchases of new brushes (I don't buy used).

Amazing display! Nice! And I like the variety you show in your rotation.

Looking forward to your other stashes 😁.

Guido

Reactions: CCS
Amazing display! Nice! And I like the variety you show in your rotation.

Looking forward to your other stashes 😁.

Guido
The other stash is mostly the badger brushes and an incoming Muhle Karelian Masur Birch synthetic brush. Also, a lot of Shulton Old Spice. Not sure I can get an interesting photo in the main medicine cabinet of the rest of the creams - it's just a pile of jars and the tubes of creams (Proraso and Speick) live in a drawer with toilet paper and bars of bath soap (nice soap, mind you, but bath soap nonetheless). We'll see what I can come up with. The remaining stuff (blades and some backup tubs of creams and a few vintage boxed sets of Shulton Old Spice products sit on a shelf in my library closet). To me, the money shots are the razors and brushes. And yes, I've picked most of my razors over the years for variety and samples from different eras of Gillette's production. But out of the 13 you see, I tend to use only 7-8 in regular rotation, especially with the new Tatara Masamune joining the fold.

What is your favorite razor in this lineup? Really nice collection and looks lovely the way it's displayed. Also, how is the Masamune razor, and is the one to the left of it the "Goodwill" or "New" Gillette (I get these two confused)? Yours looks brand new!

I think mine is the "New" but it's more of a rosegold on the handle and top plate.

Attachments

• tempImageZd5uJ8.png
    tempImageZd5uJ8.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
What is your favorite razor in this lineup? Really nice collection and looks lovely the way it's displayed. Also, how is the Masamune razor, and is the one to the left of it the "Goodwill" or "New" Gillette (I get these two confused)? Yours looks brand new!

I think mine is the "New" but it's more of a rosegold on the handle and top plate.
The AS-D2 and Masamuna (based on only one shave with the latter) are easily my two favorites. The one to the left is a 30's era NEW that I bought in restored condition from BRG while he was restoring the 20's era Old Type that came in a pocket set but was beat. That and the NEW are really fun razors and they are about as new as can be as they were redone by Chris Spencer. Next to the left is a '48-'50 Aristocrat in original condition (which is remarkably good!). Then we have a Ball End Tech, Slim, 195, Flare Tip SS, and an old style SS from 1954, the last quarter for the old style. Up top are the two Jagger DE89s surrounding a user grade NEW with a spare Ball End Tech handle. Great razor.

In the end, it will be hard to choose a favorite between the Feather and Masamune as I love they way they both shave and they look so different from each other. They will likely be co-favorites. The Slim is a great razor as is the 195 but I'd pick the restored NEW as my favorite vintage Gillette at the moment with the Old Type a close second (gotta pay a little closer attention with that one.

The AS-D2 and Masamuna (based on only one shave with the latter) are easily my two favorites. The one to the left is a 30's era NEW that I bought in restored condition from BRG while he was restoring the 20's era Old Type that came in a pocket set but was beat. That and the NEW are really fun razors and they are about as new as can be as they were redone by Chris Spencer. Next to the left is a '48-'50 Aristocrat in original condition (which is remarkably good!). Then we have a Ball End Tech, Slim, 195, Flare Tip SS, and an old style SS from 1954, the last quarter for the old style. Up top are the two Jagger DE89s surrounding a user grade NEW with a spare Ball End Tech handle. Great razor.

In the end, it will be hard to choose a favorite between the Feather and Masamune as I love they way they both shave and they look so different from each other. They will likely be co-favorites. The Slim is a great razor as is the 195 but I'd pick the restored NEW as my favorite vintage Gillette at the moment with the Old Type a close second (gotta pay a little closer attention with that one.
That is great to hear! I have been eyeing the Masamune in dark steel or the Ambassador as my next razor. I'm leaning toward the Masamune. I can't agree more on the Gillette NEW, the Fatboy and Slim seem to get more praise and I do enjoy those as well but something with how well-balanced the NEW is makes it great.

That is great to hear! I have been eyeing the Masamune in dark steel or the Ambassador as my next razor. I'm leaning toward the Masamune. I can't agree more on the Gillette NEW, the Fatboy and Slim seem to get more praise and I do enjoy those as well but something with how well-balanced the NEW is makes it great.
Keep in mind, what I like may not be what you like.

Top Bottom