What's new

Walter Becker of Steely Dan Passed Away At 67

Has anyone seen anything that gets much into what Walter Becker actually died of? I take it he had had severe liver problems for years from Hep C, I assume from injectable opiate abuse. I do not desire to be a mere voyeur about such things. I think it is useful to the community in general to know if we lost someone as wonderful as WB to something that was preventable. I suspect that the revelation of Prince's opiate problems have been a wake up call or a hazard warning to many. I do not think it diminishes the artist's reputation as to the things that count. I suppose in a way, knowing the cause of death can increase the pain because the lose was avoidable, or decrease the pain as just the natural course of human life to lose some folks along the way.

Walter Becker's wife has now said his cause of death was esophageal cancer diagnosed only four months earlier.
So, mors vincit omnia. RIP.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Walter Becker's wife has now said his cause of death was esophageal cancer diagnosed only four months earlier.
So, mors vincit omnia. RIP.
I wonder if he had GERD? Esophageal cancer is a particularly ugly way to die. Thanks for the update Mr Knize.

I am not actually convinced that seeing Steely Dan live was crucial to an appreciation of the group.
For me, it wasn't, but it completed something in me. Loved this band in high school, and listened to their music when we spent time on the Gulf of Mexico. It was ironic that I finally got to see this band twice just a mile or two from where I enjoyed their music years earlier, less than a mile from the Gulf. They picked pretty much the worst times of the year, and days of the week to play these concerts, but they were memorable concerts.

FarmerTan

For me, it wasn't, but it completed something in me. Loved this band in high school, and listened to their music when we spent time on the Gulf of Mexico. It was ironic that I finally got to see this band twice just a mile or two from where I enjoyed their music years earlier, less than a mile from the Gulf. They picked pretty much the worst times of the year, and days of the week to play these concerts, but they were memorable concerts.
You know, your post made me realize that tho these guys were so important to me in the soundtrack of my life, I had no desire to see them at the time.
The only band that I REALLY wish I'd have seen was the Eagles. The fact that they "broke up" and then returned to touring should have given me a clue that I should have made the effort. But alas, I wasn't exactly awash in cash as a fairly new, underemployed newly married boy at the time.

You know, your post made me realize that tho these guys were so important to me in the soundtrack of my life, I had no desire to see them at the time.
The only band that I REALLY wish I'd have seen was the Eagles. The fact that they "broke up" and then returned to touring should have given me a clue that I should have made the effort. But alas, I wasn't exactly awash in cash as a fairly new, underemployed newly married boy at the time.
I'm still kicking myself for missing the Eagles last concert in Bossier City, LA. I'd already scheduled all my vacation when they announced it and should have used sick time. Glenn Frey's last concert.

FarmerTan

I'm still kicking myself for missing the Eagles last concert in Bossier City, LA. I'd already scheduled all my vacation when they announced it and should have used sick time. Glenn Frey's last concert.
Sad. I feel you on that one. He and Henley were the best duo of my generation in my not so humble opinion, lol.

Yes, probably so. They were magical at times. I've tried to sing their praises to some of the younger generation, but they have no taste for awesome music, unfortunately.

Yes, probably so. They were magical at times. I've tried to sing their praises to some of the younger generation, but they have no taste for awesome music, unfortunately.

It really depends on the individual. My 14 year old son is into lots of great music from my generation and earlier. He loves Fusion music like Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Anthony Jackson. He also happens to like some music that I can't stand such as Drake. Hate the Drake. But seriously, the kid is into the Eagles, Steely Dan and whole host of other stuff that many of his friends have never heard of. I turned him on most of it but his biggest influence according to him is Jaco who he found out about on his own. Gotta give some of these kids the credit they deserve.

FarmerTan

It really depends on the individual. My 14 year old son is into lots of great music from my generation and earlier. He loves Fusion music like Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Anthony Jackson. He also happens to like some music that I can't stand such as Drake. Hate the Drake. But seriously, the kid is into the Eagles, Steely Dan and whole host of other stuff that many of his friends have never heard of. I turned him on most of it but his biggest influence according to him is Jaco who he found out about on his own. Gotta give some of these kids the credit they deserve.
True. My son's musical growth is fun to watch. A couple years ago he would mention a song he thought was a new one which turned out to be an oldie but goody from my youth.. now we are enjoying the ol

Top Bottom