What's new

Walter Becker of Steely Dan Passed Away At 67

A shame. Becker and Fagen were contemporary songwriters from the old school of clever wordplay (Difford and Tilbrook from Squeeze are from the same school in my opinion).

PS: Just noticed the OP was bamafan64...kind of appropriate...call me Deacon Blue.

A shame. Becker and Fagen were contemporary songwriters from the old school of clever wordplay (Difford and Tilbrook from Squeeze are from the same school in my opinion).

PS: Just noticed the OP was bamafan64...kind of appropriate...call me Deacon Blue.
I finally got to see them live at an outdoor venue in Orange Beach, Alabama twice. Both times they played that song and it was very obviously it was a crowd favorite!

I just saw the news. Steely Dan is hands down one of my favorite groups. Whether it's driving down the highway listening to Can't Buy a Thrill, chilling at home listening to Aja or randomly hearing Rilki Don't lose that number in the grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sad news i've listen live in america last week with my sotd ,hear the news yesterday on french radio , this is one thing i will miss for not seeing live .

sad news i've listen live in america last week with my sotd ,hear the news yesterday on french radio , this is one thing i will miss for not seeing live .
I got lucky being able to see Steely Dan live, but I totally screwed up not seeing the Eagles in Shreveport/Bossier City a couple of years ago. Turned out to be their last concert with Glen Frey. Wife and I had planned to go, but somehow we missed it.

He and Donald Fagin performed the Soundtrack to my high school years. RIP, Walter.

As I read tributes to him and Steely Dan, I found out that the late Phil Hartman of SNL fame designed the album cover to Aja.

I am not actually convinced that seeing Steely Dan live was crucial to an appreciation of the group. At least seeing them live later when Becker played lead, as in more recent shows, as opposed to early 70's shows, when they toured with Skunk Baxter as lead guitar and Becker played base.

There is a flood of new live Steely Dan material on You Tube, from both eras.

I might say the same thing about the Eagles, which, as I recall (I have not seen references to this recently), had a reputation in the 1970s for putting on generally lackluster shows. I think they were much more polished on the reunion tours such as Hell Freezes Over. The Eagles reputation live may have improved earlier when they brought in Joe Walsh. I just do not recall.

We all should probably be going out of our ways to see folks like Joe Walsh, who are still around. Skunk Baxter is apparently a defense consultant these days, not an active touring musician, although he apparently does some studio work still. There must be some irony in there somewhere!

By the way, I noticed that one can apparently take over-Skype lessons in bass (and guitar) from Carol Kaye herself for $55 for 45 minutes. That seems extraordinary to me! No beginners and "No Punk or Heavy Metal players, and no Gift Lessons." Carol friggin Kaye! If James Jamerson was still with us would he be giving music lessons!

I had a college buddy who lived in Major dorm. He claimed to be a Major dude. We wore the grooves flat on Pretzel Logic.

I've seen Walt and Don a few times in the later years of touring, but have some great sounding boots from the 73-74 era that are mind-blowing. Still a sad loss as he was a great guitarist and songwriter and, because he wasn't lead singer, often overlooked. I've got 11 Tracks of Whack and Circus Money (11 Tracks is far superior) and his songwriting skill is still very evident. There's a song called Medical Science that floats around on bootlegs which, IMO, is Walter's finest solo performance. Although he did a great job live on Daddy Don't Live in that New York City No More (no more).

So many of my favorites seem to be leaving us way too soon. I feel blessed that I was able to take my then 11 or 12 year old son to see them at the Beacon in NYC. He's a budding bass player. Aja. Royal Scam. Katy Lied. Those are my three favs but really they all were good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So many of my favorites seem to be leaving us way too soon. I feel blessed that I was able to take my then 11 or 12 year old son to see them at the Beacon in NYC. He's a budding bass player. Aja. Royal Scam. Katy Lied. Those are my three favs but really they all were good.
The last sentence you wrote is so true. My son is even beginning to appreciate the soundtrack of my life at his age. I must be old. But at least my music is still hot.

The last sentence you wrote is so true. My son is even beginning to appreciate the soundtrack of my life at his age. I must be old. But at least my music is still hot.

When your kids appreciate you and your commentary, you know they are listening. And it makes life so much sweeter.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When your kids appreciate you and your commentary, you know they are listening. And it makes life so much sweeter.
So true my friend. Just tonight I was trying to get some charting done to beat the fiscal year end deadline when he asked me to help him on an idea he had for a photo shoot (he's in school for videography). I dropped the work and helped. There are probably a million dad's that wish their 17 year old son would even speak to them, let alone ask for assistance with something important to them. He has no idea how much I love him, but I hope he will be twice the dad I am.

Top Bottom