What's new

Walnut handle

I’m happy with how this one turned out. Turning wood is a nice change from acrylic
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

What does one finish wooden brush handles with to keep them safe from the water?

By the way, I like that brush handle. The grain is attractive and I think my fat hands would enjoy that chunky shape.

What does one finish wooden brush handles with to keep them safe from the water?

By the way, I like that brush handle. The grain is attractive and I think my fat hands would enjoy that chunky shape.
CA(Cyanoacrylate) or Super Glue is popular

Great looking brush.

I've been using 2 thick coats of Polyurethane, although numerous coats of Super Glue is probably better

Very nice! I’ve loved walnut since my first woodshop project in 1980. You’ve got a nice finish on it too, which will make or break it.

As for CA finishes, there’s a learning curve but I think once you master it you won’t settle for anything else. The biggest advantage is it adheres to itself. Poly doesn’t which is why light sanding is needed in between coats. Once you get the process down it doesn’t take all that long, but I prefer to let it cure for a day before sanding/polishing. The brand of CA does matter, not all are created the same. Loctite is junk IMO, Starbond is supreme. I finished a lather bowl with CA a few years ago and it’s still going strong. I sent one finished with poly to @DCRIII and it wore through. I can’t remember how long it took but I’m pretty sure it was less than a year. Based on this I’d say CA is more durable as well.

That’s a long way of saying don’t give up on CA just yet!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Very nice! I’ve loved walnut since my first woodshop project in 1980. You’ve got a nice finish on it too, which will make or break it.

As for CA finishes, there’s a learning curve but I think once you master it you won’t settle for anything else. The biggest advantage is it adheres to itself. Poly doesn’t which is why light sanding is needed in between coats. Once you get the process down it doesn’t take all that long, but I prefer to let it cure for a day before sanding/polishing. The brand of CA does matter, not all are created the same. Loctite is junk IMO, Starbond is supreme. I finished a lather bowl with CA a few years ago and it’s still going strong. I sent one finished with poly to @DCRIII and it wore through. I can’t remember how long it took but I’m pretty sure it was less than a year. Based on this I’d say CA is more durable as well.

That’s a long way of saying don’t give up on CA just yet!
Thanks for the info! Whenever I get off my lazy south end I'll remember your report. (I hope!)

Top Bottom