What's new

Walnut and a new shape

Taking a much needed break today from birch color wood. Had a nice chunk of American Black Walnut sitting on the shelf and an idea in my head for a new handle shape.

The base of this handle tapers down and has a very comfortable feel in the hand. It’s very slightly rounded, so the downfall that it’s a little wobbly when it’s sitting upright. But comfort was more important to me in this case!

Shown with a 26mm SHD knot.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I really love that handle. I love handles with deep finger wells like that. They suck your fingers in and makes you feel like you could hang from it. Like if that was a rod cut into that shape you could hang from it and not fall. Ok I'm going to stop trying to describe it since In my head it makes sense but when I read back what I wrote I feel like my intelligence drops from reading that horrible description.

Anyways. I love that shape and that wood. I still am just more drawn to natural wood handles than all the colors in resin handles. Wood has a soul I dont see in resin. Not putting down resin handles. They are gorgeous and I love them. I just feel a soul in wood handles.

Great shape for a handle! Black walnut is such a beautiful wood. Your handle is really unique and has an attractive shape that is highly functional and ergonomic. As far as the “wobbly” goes, why not take a cue from some of the razor makers by creating a matching black walnut “stand.” The tapered lower shape of the handle would nicely fit without binding into a complementary stand which would stabilize the brush for storage/display. Beautiful and perhaps totally unique. I haven’t ever seen anything like that, so far. Keep up the wonderful work!

Top Bottom