What's new

Walmart Straight Razors

I haven't looked at the walmart site for a straight razor but I've seen that they are often just a "middleman" allowing other companies to list their wares on the walmart site to get better exposure in exchange for a percentage of the sale. The razor may be from an Asian company listing it through Walmart and Walmart may have nothing to do with the razor other than allowing a listing in their site. If someone from the US were to buy such a product they would not be able to return it at a Walmart store and all customer issues would be between you and the other company with Walmart having nothing to do with it. Just a FYI in case anyone were thinking of looking for a razor from Walmart.

I haven't looked at the walmart site for a straight razor but I've seen that they are often just a "middleman" allowing other companies to list their wares on the walmart site to get better exposure in exchange for a percentage of the sale. The razor may be from an Asian company listing it through Walmart and Walmart may have nothing to do with the razor other than allowing a listing in their site. If someone from the US were to buy such a product they would not be able to return it at a Walmart store and all customer issues would be between you and the other company with Walmart having nothing to do with it. Just a FYI in case anyone were thinking of looking for a razor from Walmart.
Anything bought from or through Walmart is returnable.

I don't like what I see at Walmart. Tose appear to be RSOs (razor shaped objects). Look around on the auction sites that are availability to you. Vintage razors will often have good steel and a good grind. I found a vintage razor on ebay for $7. After cleaning up and honing, it turned out to be one of my best shavers. Patience is the key.

Thanks, went on the “bay” to check what was currently available for you… and got me watching a bunch of Ducks…

Lots of good razors to learn to hone on and make shavers, $10-25 on just the first page.

This set of 4 super shavers, $39, that’s $10 each. The Joseph Smith and sons is in Ebony!

Great shavers if you look, forget Walmart and Chinese.

s-l1600 (1).png
s-l1600.png

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks, went on the “bay” to check what was currently available for you… and got me watching a bunch of Ducks…

Lots of good razors to learn to hone on and make shavers, $10-25 on just the first page.

This set of 4 super shavers, $39, that’s $10 each. The Joseph Smith and sons is in Ebony!

View attachment 1520954View attachment 1520955
That's a pretty nice grab bag for $39, good variety. A smiley, a shoulderless, a round nose, barber notches, a good starter setup for somebody, once honed.

View attachment 1520954View attachment 1520955
100% a lot is the way to learn honing/restoring!

Be cautious purchasing a straight razor from the Walmart web site. Also remember that many of the items are not actually sold by Walmart, but by other companies advertising on the site.

I suspect that most of the straight razors shown on the site are razor knives or razor shaped objects (RSOs). The look like razors, but the quality of the steel and the quality of the workmanship is such that they can never be properly honed for shaving use. That could lead to a lot of frustration as you learn to hone.

Gold Dollar and Gold Monkey razors made in China have decent steel. The steel is not very hard, so the edge won't last long, but as long as you get one that is not badly warped you should be able to hone it and shave with it. Some of the blades have a heel stabilizer that prevents the blade from laying flat on the hone, but this can be corrected with a Dremel tool or file.

I won't shop at Walmart for anything.
If I shop for razors/shaving stuff I use trusted vendors that have supported the community over the years.

Are there actually any SRs out there that are honeable/usable that can beat gold dollar in price? Serious question.

Edit: I'm talking new production razors, not vintage. Although you are doing pretty good to get useable vintage razors at less than gold dollar prices.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Are there actually any SRs out there that are honeable/usable that can beat gold dollar in price? Serious question.

Edit: I'm talking new production razors, not vintage. Although you are doing pretty good to get useable vintage razors at less than gold dollar prices.
I don't think so. Especially if you buy them by the hundred or more. Around $1.50 each plus shipping straight from the factory. TBH, even with the dirt cheap labor, I don't see how they do it.

So buying them one at a time, prices are still less than $5 each shipped, if you shop around. You want to pay less? There are cartridges that cost more than that, each. I am pretty sure that GDs are anchoring the tip of the cheap end of the spectrum and anything costing less will be unusable.

For vintage, if you get something usable that is not part of a lot, if you break the $10 barrier you got bragging rights. It doesn't happen often.

Top Bottom